dishwasher cycles

mint

Hah, thought that would get your attention!

No, my dishwasher doesn't ride a bike.  But I need to have this explained to me, svp.

I have been using it on a programme that does everything very well in 45 minutes.  However, reading the instruction booklet yesterday, I find that the "eco" programme is called programme 1 and washes the dishes about 10 degrees lower but takes 3 hours 26 minutes.

So, I was left wondering......is 45 minutes on 60 degrees more or less costly than 3 and a half hours on 50 degrees?

Why is the so-called "eco" cycle so much longer? 

I tried the eco one overnight and it seems to have cleaned everything.  But, for preference during the day, I think I'll stick with the shorter programme in case I need to re-use something that is in the dishwasher.

What do other people do?  

Very interesting discussion in that link, Betty, and thanks for finding that[:)]

Will go back and re-read booklet rather more carefully.  I suppose the less hot setting will be easier on the dishes and less likely to take the colour off plastic utensils.

Mint wrote : What do other people do?

When we got our present dishwasher 10 years ago I tried all the different types of wash modes .. but rapidly discovered that, because we are only 2 so use the dishwasher twice a week or perhaps every 3 days, that if I used any other than the 60°C wash then slime and detritus made an unwelcome presence in the bottom of the machine. Yukissimo.

So I gave up with trying to be eco in that particular area and have used the 'normal' 60°C way ever since .. anything else makes me cringe .. shudder, shudder .. sorry cannot make any emojis due to using Chrome.

I have only ever used a dishwasher once, it followed a wedding anniversary and around 400 messy plates etc to be cleaned of curry or lasagne.  It had two setting 2 mins or 4. I used 4mins and everything cam out clean and hot.  That's the kind of dishwasher i would buy. [;-)] 

[quote user="Théière"]I have only ever used a dishwasher once, it followed a wedding anniversary and around 400 messy plates etc to be cleaned of curry or lasagne.  It had two setting 2 mins or 4. I used 4mins and everything cam out clean and hot.  That's the kind of dishwasher i would buy. [;-)] 

[/quote]

[quote user="mogs"][quote user="Théière"]I have only ever used a dishwasher once, it followed a wedding anniversary and around 400 messy plates etc to be cleaned of curry or lasagne.  It had two setting 2 mins or 4. I used 4mins and everything cam out clean and hot.  That's the kind of dishwasher i would buy. [;-)] 

[/quote][/quote]

Sorry don't know what happened with my post.

So here goes again

Only set mine for 45° during cheap rate at lunchtime

Dishwasher is making weird noises so for safety don't use anymore overnight.

Used to set at 70° on overnight cycle.

My eco cycle takes forever so how can it be eco??

I had to replace my dishwasher after the flood last year, so it's quite a new model and seems to have an effective switch to speed things up, I'd say it takes between 1 hr and half.  I don't use the eco button at 50, but always at 65 with the speed switch on, and that seems to work well. I've  never timed it though as it only ever goes on at night (only after a party, perhaps, does it go on during the day, for glasses etc, and that would be a short, lower temp wash, rinse wash).