You to can make £15 a second.

Cathar Tours

Spotted this because the SA v Wales match is such a waste of time.

£15 a second is how much the NHS is paying solicitors in fees for mitigation cases they are losing. That's excluding what they pay to the victims.

On average that's £1.1m per day, enough for 24,000 kidney transplants (assuming you can find the kidneys) or 17,000 new nurses per day (they must be paid a pittance).

Even though so far this century the NHS budget has nearly doubled mainly under the Tories I should add it is still short of what other counties with better healthcare spend as part of their GDP.

You need the extra money so you can pay for better doctors, nurses and particularly consultants and senior consultants which will stop sub standard practices and actually save money in litigation.

Source - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7617735/Lawyers-cashing-NHS-medical-blunders-handed-13-SECOND-year.html

(You know it's true, it's in the Daily Mail)

You should research how much the NHS loses due to people across the spectrum not turning up for appointments from seeing a nurse to a senior consultant.

Only nine countries in the world do not have ID cards and of course the UK is one of them.

There should be two kinds of ID, one for citizens and the other for immigrants like in Germany and France.

People should be forced into showing their ID and their NI card in the UK before they get treated. If they have neither then they can hand over their credit/debit card.

Entering a country as an immigrant I know first hand that nobody minds you using their services (healthcare etc.) just as long as you contribute the same way as them. Likewise they do not like people abusing their systems either.

Some countries do not allow the health service to be sued. Medical staff are expected to have liability insurance to cover them if they are sued. In some countries they are prosecuted for either GBH (the equivalent there of) and manslaughter if somebody dies as a result for their incompetence. Victims loved ones always say (as they take the money) it's not the money it's justice they want.

You would think with regards to the figures mentioned there must be thousands of people struck off yet if you look at the GMC website that's not true. Most actually get their jobs back with lest that 36% remaining struck off. Last year just over 130 were initially struck off.

Source GMC Website and search for the report it's in pdf format.

The problem is that the NHS has a fault system which is essentially adversarial, meaning tha fault has to be proved, notoriously difficult to do.

NZ has (I think) a no fault system which moves straight to compensation.

As regards, ripping the thing off, the fees paid to short term staff or their agencies are enormous, a rip off.

Then there are the consultants who have partial contracts with the NHS and the rest private, but who take NHS patients privately ‘to save time’, and who make a ton of dosh out of it.

Payment for appointments maybe a good idea, train enough staff definitely, English tests for foreign doctors.

ID cards all round for everyone.

There are those who earn more, ie at least one of the people who run one of the big supermarkets!

There is so much of the NHS that is waste. And yet it is brilliant too, but, with such a big organisation there will sadly always be errors.

I give up with those who deal with the law, the lawyers and solicitors, judges etc, so little of it seems to be 'just'  these days.

Highest UK salary excluding bonus was £1.6m 2017/2018 and that was in the banking sector.

Thing is with crime and punishment is that in the public view the punishment does not seem to balance fit the crime. A PD can get 6 years for kiddie fiddling (the most vile of all crimes only to be seconded, just, by rape), out in three where as if you have the audacity to steel money you can get locked up for 10 years or more.

I used to watch a program about catching thieves in the UK and it always seemed that many who committed terrible crimes got let off with small custodial sentences and sometime longer yet suspended ones having beaten the local post master with a baseball bat.

However you can't blame the police nor the judiciary for this, it is the politicians who set the recommended sentences (tariffs as the are now called for the politically correct) via the Department of Justice as it is now called.

We have a judge in our distant family and I remember he always seemed to be picked on at family get togethers. He used to say he would love to give bigger sentences but all that would happen is there would be an appeal if it were above the tariff and the sentence would be cut and the criminal given an apology!

In the world of no win no fee lawyers the NHS also has a large number of claims by people who claim that they fell over a lolly stick etc. Certainly, the trust that I worked for suffered from this.

In my experience the NHS use very expensive firms of solicitors which at times are needed because of the complexity of matters. However, they are used for ALL cases rather than for simple matters using a local solicitor at much lower cost.

As a former 'clerk' ie pen pusher, me thinks that in the NHS the top dog pen pushers get paid far too much. As they do in local councils etc.

IF they did their jobs remarkably well, I may think differently about it, but they have managed, along with the dimwits in government to install many admin layers, too many and my experience with several of these layers, is that they are unnecessary and useless and a complete waste of public funds.

I understand that responsibility should be awarded, but it isn't that any longer, bonuses in some sectors get paid even when companies/organisations are failing. And bonuses should be capped.

Here is something I just picked up on.

There is a drug called Humira which is made in the US and is a treatment for Crohn's disease (and others).

In the US you, well your insurance company, will be charged around $8,150 USD (on average) for a box with two 40mg doses. If you have the time to shop around you might be able to get it for just over $5k.

The NHS has negotiated a "special price" with the US manufacturers and gets the same dosage for £1,500.

Meanwhile I notice Germany and France have negotiated a Euro price of €658 for the same dosage.

I guess you could look at it two ways, the NHS is saving money but not as much as Germany and France yet in the US people with this terrible disease or more to the point their insurance companies are making the manufacturer an obscene amount of money out of somebodies misfortune.

Anyway where I was really going is that in this example, like many others I am sure, the NHS is paying over the odds for medicine when they could have negotiated a far better price. Currently the NHS buys some £300m worth of this drug every year.

Also what will happen to the price of US manufactured drugs after Brexit and there is a trade deal between the US and UK when the likes of Trump and his mates get their hands on the NHS? Will it go down or will, as many people believe, go up?