6 nations! 6 nations! Anybody out there...?

mint

Come on, let's have some thoughts and discussions!  Gardian....?

Ok then, what do you think of France thumping England?

I didn't bother watching, thinking I knew who'd win.  Switched on at half time and, holy Moses, France 17, England 0!

The final score wasn't quite that bad for England but, even so, who'd have thought....?

Same same mint, I got in from shopping to 17 - 0.

Didn't surprise me, it has happened before when England has done well the previous season, ie the World Cup.

Also there were a lot of new players weren't there and that means a new team.

It is what it is. France should always be brilliant, they have put so much into the game and the players for years and years. And yet, they are not always brilliant[blink]

I didn’t think that anybody was really interested in the 6N, but since you ask, I’ll give you my fourpennyworth .........

England vs France. A surprise, but not in a way. It’s been said about France for years that they lacked any sort of halfback ‘strength’. New coach, who was a 9. Surprise, surprise, the two young players at halfback play out of their skins (admittedly N’tamack isn’t new). A well deserved win for France and the final score IMO rather flattered England.

Wales vs Italy. It was obviously an easy win, but I just have this uneasy feeling that the Taffs are going to (as usual) exceed expectations. It always seems to happen & gets right up my nose.

Ireland vs Scotland. For me, Ireland have been overrated for years - but that’s just me. Scotland have improved a lot, but just seem to self-destruct at times (actually most of the time). They’ll probably rectify that this weekend vs Us - wouldn’t bet against it !

For England, Farrell didn’t look quite right on Sunday - don’t know whether it was RWC blues, Sarries scandal stuff, or just maybe a knock that he took early in the match. Maybe just yet another really good player (in whatever sport) who finds it hard to marry captainship with their own high playing standards?

Ireland won as expected.

The Murrayfield game was awful and, because of the conditions, either side could have won.

Glad that we did though + the thought of 50k Jocks trudging back to their cars / public transport through the wind & pissing rain fills me with joy.

‘Flower of damp Scotland’

I hate it when Italy does not score. I didn't watch the match but a couple of times when passing the tv said, 'come on Italy score a trial' and they did within minutes. That they lost is quite another thing, knowing that they score points is good.

Sounded like it was a better game than Scotland /England yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
It is about time that the french had a team that was so good.

They have literally been putting millions and millions into their national team over the last few years. Initially very proudly showing off everything that was being done.

So at last the french have a great team......... BUT..... did it really take all that investment? I know darn well how local clubs bring young 'uns on, the great unsung heros of french sport, thousands upon thousands of dedicated benevole!

I have a concrete example of that. The 16-year old son of the restaurant where I eat on Sundays is in the local team which has 3 times when the championship of France in their age group.
Last year  they were immensely proud to pay their final  at the Parc du Princes just before the final of the professional teams....

[quote user="mint"]
Did you watch the Wales France match yesterday?

Wow! just wow!  France winning with more flair and youthful intrepidity[:)]

Experience isn't everything then?

Anyone want to predict whether it will be Ireland or England at Twickers?

[/quote]

In addition the French were helped by a referee who needs a dose of post qualification training; not saying that France didn't thoroughly deserve to win, but the tardiness in issuing yellow cards encouraged the French to take even more liberties and don't even mention the prospect of a penalty try because of the deliberate knock on! The match could have been so much better to watch.

UaG

Now, now, UaG, the TMO showed quite clearly that the chap was fully committed and his arms didn't change direction which would have proved that it was a deliberate knock on.  The yellow card was the right decision.

Equally the French could have argued about the try that was not allowed because it was questionable whether it was indeed a forward pass.  Not at all clear from the slo mo.

The refs always get criticised by coaches, teams and fans and they do make mistakes of course.  Still Biggar didn't look great arguing.

And I am normally a huge Welsh fan, lived between the Aberavon ground and Taibach rugby club for a few years[:)]

Not nit picking, but my recollection is that following the knock on that we're discussing there was only a scrum awarded, not a yellow card. If a yellow had followed the offence it would surely then then have warranted a penalty try. Biggar needs a lesson in self control and should play his rugby instead of lecturing anyone in earshot.

UaG

I have to say that I’m a bit here & there about this ‘deliberate knock on’ business.

Surely, it’s mostly instinctive and if the ball is gathered, then it’s (as like as not) an interception and a try at the other end. If the ball isn’t gathered, then at the very least it’s a knock-on and worst case, a yellow card + bin. It just seems very arbitrary to me.

Anyway ........... to England.

We were more than halfway decent eh? Don’t know what the %’s were (they’re showing really complex other numbers now) but we must have had 75 / 25 possession & territory in the 1st half.

Never been one of his fans, but I thought that Ford had an excellent game. Sadly for a really good player, Sexton is beginning to look past his best.

France should (deservedly) win the 6N.

I wasn’t thinking so much about his kicking - anybody can have an off day.

Just his overall game, which has fallen away from the levels of excellence of previous seasons.

Put it this way, IMO he’s no longer the 1st choice ‘10’ on a Lions Tour.

Just read on the BBC Sport website that Italy’s 2 remaining matches (vs Ireland in Dublin & England in Rome) are at risk of cancellation.

Just about every Italian player lives and works in the Veneto area, so its obviously risky.

Sadly, but understandably, I reckon that there’s no chance of the matches going ahead.

I’m staggered to learn that the 6N organisation has decided that all the remaining matches will go ahead. The Irish have (rightly IMO) already ruled that this weekend’s Ire vs Italy is at the very least, postponed. This was after a decisive ruling by the Irish Health Minister.

What are these 6N people on ?

England rugby supporters with airline tickets booked, hotels booked and stadium seats paid for ..... are now faced with losing the lot. They might at least have got the last element refunded, but no chance now.

Then, the proverbial icing on the bloody cake is the simultaneous news that the 6N tv coverage may well be lost from ‘free to air’ w.e.f. 2002. I really do just hate these people.

Gardian yes it will be a bad move for the viewer if the 6N disappears from fta.

However, it must be a little 'annoying' to, say, those behind 6N that they cannot go after the big money from the non fta broadcasters whilst other sports, test cricket is one example, can.