Norman, are you listening?

mint

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught about the last 5 seconds of that programme and can't get iplayer.

But I do like Bernstein's music in this film and, years ago, I saw something about this musical with Bernstein himself and with te Kanawa and José Carreras singing like angels.

On the whole, all of the Christmas period has yielded an appalling scarcity of music programmes and I seem to remember decades of concerts, operas and ballets in the past or is my memory playing tricks?

From the perspective of someone wishing to get information from this site it is a nightmare when new topics ( programmes/concerts whatever) are introduced in the same thread.

If you wish to have conversations with certain individuals then exchange emails. It is most frustrating when one sees a message saying that I have said something to you ( but I don't want everybody else to know!) or is addressed to only one person as if nobody else is concerned.

I would suggest that people start a new thread with an appropriate title whenever a new topic arises.

No need to appoint yourself as the forum police, Richard.

We have perfectly good moderators who do all that kind of thing.

I started this thread for Norman when he was recovering in a nursing home and I hoped it would cheer him up but, of course, that first post is hundreds of posts ago but I do remember saying that it wasn't meant just for Norman and that anybody could join in[:D]

And, yes, conversations in real life do carry on just like that!  Have you never eaten with a group of people at a table and there's nearly always more than one topic of conversation going on?

Can't imagine starting a new thread for each piece of music that we have touched upon here.  So, why don't YOU start one?  Except, if it's about George Michael, I shan't be joining in, as I don't know anything about him or his "music"![:)]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BBC tv 4 this evening, a programme about te Kanawa, with bits of appearances she has made on the BBC. 

Made me feel very old as I remember some of those performances the first time round!

Other thing is, I don't think she should sing Handel...........

And here is the FT's review of the programme immediately following the previous one.  The FT often provides very good arts pages.

[url]https://www.ft.com/content/5a411dba-0521-11e7-aa5b-6bb07f5c8e12[/url]

Edit:  Mince! no ruddy good.............can't be read unless you subscribe but the programme is called Dazzling Duets; a mixed bag but enjoyable pick and mix selection all the same.

Last night's Suzy Klein's programme of music and revolution was more enjoyable than last week's:  BBC TV 4.

Both French revolutions touched on.  Besides the music, including some satirical French songs about Napoleon, the programme was also a venture into the history of European revolutions and also part sumptuous travelogue.

Oh, to get the chance to visit the galeria in Milan again!