new forum software

Paulhogan

I am about to give up with this new layout, please help!!!!

I can't see control panel, I can't see name of poster, I can't get search facility to work past the first page of results.

I am running IE6 on windows 98 with Norton AV anti personal firewall, I have changed the settings in firewall to disable ad blocking, enable java, enable cookies, and allow pop ups, don't know what else to change.

Does anybody have a solution as I really do enjoy this forum but frustration will drive me elsewhere if I can't solve these problems.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Gay

Sorry about the frustration!!!! Have spent a couple of hours playing around with the firewall settings and have succeeded in solving most of the issues with the exception of the search facility which gives some wierd results and will only display one page of results.

So keep up the good work, forgot it was a bank holiday in UK.

Paul

Hi Paul/Forum Admin (James)

Apologies for not being able to reply to you - but once I'd exited the PM bit - I couldnt get back to it as I have no Control Panel!!

So Paul  you've solved the problem, do you think it was the Cookie issue or  your firewall or a combination of both.  Not too keen on disabling the firewall options as we have had some serious intrusions recently!!

Now Forum Admin - James will you be able to look at this problem or do I have to take the same route as Paul - which I am not keen on.  On the Old Forum what I did do was disable Norton in order that I could post a response - obviously this has to do with the settings on my p.c.  Incidentally, I dont have to disable Norton to do this on the new Forum but I have all these new problems instead. 

I do enjoy  participating in the Forum and again like Paul I dont want to leave as I cant participate in the discussions or even follow them properly.

Thanks for your help on this

Deby

It sounds to me like a firewall problem. I am running IE 6 and seem to be fine. The only thing I can think of is find the individual line relating to livingfrance.com and check the boxes allowing cookies.

There is a problem with the software itself currently relating to script errors on the search facility.

Hi Deby/Forum admin

I am not sure which action solved the problem as I have enabled cookies, java, etc in Norton Firewall but only for the living france website. I then cleared all temp files on pc and all cookies before the changes would improve matters. I will, when I have time, go through all the changes removing them one at a time so that I can understand what the issue was, I may be able to help others with same problem.

Deby, if you want to e-mail I will try to help - try paul_hogan01 @ hotmail.com (just remove the spaces).

Paul

Hello,

Thanks Paul for your info, I completely disabled Norton and the problem was still there - Techie husband then went on the mission and he has put it down to a Java issue.  

Have you tested on an XP Professional machine running Sun's Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.2_05 as I've got an identically configued p.c and this is the only difference between the two?

Methinks its Bill Gates bundling stuff in with IE (again).

Look forward to hearing from you.

Deby

[quote]Hello, Thanks Paul for your info, I completely disabled Norton and the problem was still there - Techie husband then went on the mission and he has put it down to a Java issue. Have you tested on...[/quote]

For info, over the weekend have got over a problem with XP SP2 clashing with Zone Alarm.  The service pack upgrade seemed to be blocking me from accessing my ISP for email and another forum (also had a problem with this one, but this was ID related).  Shut down Zone Alarm and all ok again, so have temporarily uninstalled it.