newbies

Tag

[quote]The fact that something is inevitable and unavoidable (e.g. old age, the weather, John Prescott, the term "Newbie") does not mean that we cannot or should not complain about it if we don't like it. S...[/quote]

I totally agree with Swissbarry here!Pointless distinctions,why bother with them?He's right about the moderators too,they are censors but that's OK,sometimes somethings do need to be censored-the terms are on the LF front page.

I personally don't find the term 'newbie' insulting, in fact I find it quite helpful as people reading my questions (some of which may come across as a bit naive) make allowances to the fact that I've just joined the site. 

No doubt the people who've got hang-ups about it will blow this out of the water - but what the heck!

We most certainly do need censors/moderators.   Have you seen the loonies that frequent unmoderated forums and chatrooms elsewhere on the internet?     That neo-Nazi Todesengel that did the shootout in that American school is only the tip of the iceberg.     

OK, well I guess that most of the members here don't like the terms that are being used, but because it is built into the programming code of the forum, and the fact that all Archant forums are under the same code means that there is not really an easy way to change the titles automatically given. So we will just have to ignore the terms.

Moderators Hat ON

I don't like the fact that we are thought of a censors as I feel we are not. Bad language is automatically censored by the software, nothing to do with us moderators. Our job is simply to ensure that the Code of Conduct is kept to which I view as a policing role and if people don't like the forums CofC then they should go elsewhere. The moderators do not make, or have any input in to, the CofC's of the forum. As moderators we are not allowed to do what ever we feel like doing, we in fact are moderated by the Forum Administrator who is the LF employed person responcible for the day to day running of the forum. If we have any doubts about a posting we can move it to a hidden area then ask for guidence. If we are wrong then the post is moved back. We always email or PM the author of the post to inform them of what we are doing. The ONLY time we delete posts without following these proceedures is when there are accidental duplicate posts.

Moderators Hat OFF

Quillan

I for one appreciate the watching brief that you and your colleagues maintain on these forums; you fulfil a very necessary function. Without some control (not censorship!!) the lunatics would take over the asylum.

And I don't care what the software calls me; it's good to have such a useful source of entertainment and useful advice.

Keep up the good work.

Come on now boys and girls or men and women or lads and lasses or ladies and gentlemen or.......................

Who actually gives a stuff what you are called.

If you have something to say say it and don't worry whether you are newbie oldbie or any otherbie there are more important things to worry yourself about, things like that little b*****d frog outside my bedroom window who waits until I flop into bed and then starts his B****Y WHISTLING ALL NIGHT.

Weedon