Calling all Corréziens!

I love Dinan, such a civilised place.  Then you could just pop over to St Malo when there is a fête on and it's just such a jolly, animated place.

Then, you could drive to Cancale for lunch and, OH, being Welsh, St Suliac (a Welsh saint, I understand) to dip your toes in the water.

But tell me, Frenchie, if it were the Corrèze, near which town would you base yourself?[;-)]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, Dinan is a great place, and St Malo is fab.. Just a walk round the city walls and I feel good...

If yu go there one day on hols, I recommend the walk along the path down the cliff from St Enogat to Dinard, it is fantastic, and you see St Malo from a distance, just beautiful.

As regards Corrèze, I quite liked Tulle , and Pompadour.

St Malo from the ferry is a wonderful sight too, Frenchie.

Although I haven't yet been to Corrèze, I've looked at the possibility of Tulle and Pompadour.  Also Argentat and perhaps Beaulieu sur Dordogne.

I have never understood why people like Tulle! I personally find it unattractive, difficult to park in and very boring. I much prefer Brive which is far more attactive architecturally, livlier, easier to park and with better shopping and facilities.

Pompadour is very nice as is Lubersac, neither of which are far from where we live.

Hi, RR, I was hoping you'd come on here and give me the benefit of your thoughts.  Especially as I knew you'd moved within dept 19.

Tell me whether my impression is right; that in fact property is surprisingly expensive in 19?

I say surprisingly because it wasn't what I'd expected ......

Some of the houses within my budget are quite small so I hope I don't have to sell up first as that isn't in the plan.

Yes property is fairly expensive in Correze. As far as I have been able to ascertain there are few areas where restauration are easily available. Arnac Pompadour seems to be one of these and (consequently?) has a larger brit population than many areas. Our commune of about 1000 pers has, to my knowledge,  less than 20 brits. The number of new build properties and new cars is noticable. I reckon that the French keep a low profile regarding things that they want to keep to themselves. Either that or the brits are a bit thick!

Brive is lovely. It has a superb Saturday market, a semi pedestrianised centre, lots of small shops, even a bowling alley and an ice rink.

I think Brive is nice too but Tulle has changed massively since we arrived. Used to so dull and sad but is much more lively and so many improvements ( Maybe as they have Francois Holland ? ) People in Tulle are much friendlier :-) Brive is much snobbier :-) Will give an example - Asked in Brive if parking was free behind the shops on a Saturday. Reply Madam this is Brive not Tulle !!! Reminds me of when I lived near Thurso and the difference between Thurso and Wick. Thurso always thought it was a cut above Wick !! Saying all that Brive

is lovely for a day out and will say very quietly, if you don't mind hearing lots of British voices. Is the main shopping place for all the Loters too ! 

We are 20km from Tulle and 50 from Brive so just right for us. The French ask if I do not find the Correze too remote and laugh when I tell them this is not remote ! 8,500 people in Wick and Thurso and 120 miles to Inverness to main shops . That is remote !!!

Just read about the property prices but depends where you look. Try away from the main towns. Perhaps between Tulle and Argentat but up higher. I know there are a number of houses for sale in La Roche Canillac and Marcillac La Croisille. Near enough towns but lovely villages which are quiet. is an area worth exploring.