Ongoing Disputes

Owens88

Hi. It may be a result of a long winter or something but there seems to be a lot of running disputes at the moment. 

Many of us long wistfully for that old view 'posts since last visit' but still showing the folders/compartments they sit in. However we are stuck with the 'active' filter instead.

So, often the top 10 threads contain 3-5 disputes - and often we cannot find the root thread (if we are interested) or the background that precedes the aftermath ! If there are bannings we should know why.

Could we have a new folder for disputes with simple headings - e.g. Bill vs Ben, Thread xyz123...

So sorry, I know it's a serious subject, but I just LOVE the idea of a dispute folder, Bill v's Ben, etc.  Just the idea made me laugh out loud, literally!

Celebrity Deathmatch leaped to mind.  That's made my evening.  Simple things, ahhhh

We recently discovered at school that the younger kids were making their own sets of Top Trump cards based on teachers (my secret weapon was 'essays'). I think that we should do the same for posters, rating them for strength of opinion, reputation, secret power, number of posts etc.

How about it?

[quote user="Gastines"]

Perhaps if some members could refrain from the Holier Than Thou attitude it would help, or would that be classed as a MIRACLE. Sorry, gone off thread.

Regards.B&B  St.Malo

[/quote]

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean?

Dotty

Sorry, nothing to do with the thread but i'm trying to find that bloke Neil, the one who wants to learn french for his hols.  I think he has a blog and apparently he's a babe so I fancied a peek before I go to bed[:)] Thank-you

TWINKLE* wrote ..........trying to find that bloke Neil

According to a recent Mods article humorous interjections mid thread are annoying and a breach of something.#

So, is this thread diversion:

a) a value judgement that the original post was humorous anyway (?!)

b) proof of the pudding that its been a long winter which has fuelled obsessive posting behaviour (ending up with babes)

or

c) grist to the mill for the argument expressed in the thread of some weeks ago (using the avatar of a babe) that a small group of people colonise almost every thread ?

#Re: humorous diversions.  I  am sure I have been guilty but have tried to refrain lately. Even when somebody who has a coach station named after her complained about coach travel (well it made me smile !).

Cheers all

Vairy Ineresteeeeng Owens 88.

I don't know whether you define the 'diputes' as ongoing because they have lasted not one winter, but two, and all the seasons in between OR whether you mean the current rash of threads which refer to them (including this one).

However, I am still trying to learn the rules of 'Top Trumps', so I will have to come back to your very valid points later.

But not till you reveal who the coach station poster is!

Hi Tresco

> don't know whether you define the 'disputes' as ongoing because they have lasted not one winter, but two, and all the seasons in between OR whether you mean the current rash of threads which refer to them (including this one).

I was referring to the recent rash. But if they have long histories even more reason why there should be a 'catch-up' summary for new readers. 'Well in 1975 Bill walked into a bar and spilled  Ben's drink...and in 2006 they were slagging each other off over not very much at all'

>But not till you reveal who the coach station poster is!

No. Way too easy.    I checked the search function and that is working though.(Coach)

Good night

John

[quote user="Owens88"]

Could we have a new folder for disputes with simple headings - e.g. Bill vs Ben, Thread xyz123...

[/quote]

Or a sin-bin that only allows access to the combatants and those curious enough to want to be there. i.e. they don't clog up the 'active' screen.

Replying to myself now. Must go before I fall out with meself.

What has happened to the amusing, interesting forum that we used to have?

When I first started visiting the forum it some 3/4 years ago it was full of interesting posts, questions, helpful and often amusing answers.  Now it has become dull, even aggressive and unpleasant.  Obviously the whole format has changed, and I for one will not be bothering to visit the forum very often, as quite frankly it is not worth it.

Please can we not go back to the old ways of happy people exchanging views and experiences, and being helpful to each other where possible.  Is there not enough aggravation in the world without bringing it into what was a very good forum?

Disappointed. 

I'm a happy person Wendy, but I'm also curious.

If the forum was so good 3/4 years ago, why didn't you stick around and make it even better?

There are plenty of people here being helpful to others. Sometimes, with any community, there will be upsets. These things will be sorted out.

I think it's still a good forum, the best.

18 posts in over 4 years?

[quote user="Gastines"]

Perhaps if some members could refrain from

the Holier Than Thou attitude it would help, or would that be classed

as a MIRACLE. Sorry, gone off thread.

Regards.B&B  St.Malo

[/quote]

Pot and kettle eh Les !