Suggestion:

Gluestick

Can I make what is intended to be a constructive comment and suggestion?

Why not have a new area which could be called, "Slag Off Zone", where members who like this sort of activity can attack each other ad infinitum?

It should tidy things up a wee bit and also make flamewars easier to put out.

Most important of all, it should help threads to stay on topic and prevent boring so many with fueds and petty squabbles, as well as discouraging new members.

In fact a Win:Win:Win proposition![I]

Can I make a suggestion ? If you really feel the need to slag some one off walk away from the computer and go and have a cup of tea/coffee, count to ten several times etc ( I would suggest a nice glass of wine, but I wouldn't want anyone enboldened [:(]) Ovaltine may be ideal [:)][:)] )

Isn't it up to users to try and use the forum in a more appropriate manner ? I'm sorry I know this sounds very dull and school marmish but I have a feeling allowing people to slag each other off would soon have the lawyers breathing down our neck and no forum at all......

We all like a laugh - yep, even me, [:)] but derogatory personal remarks are what is usually to blame, would it really be such a big effort to stop making those ?

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Can I make what is intended to be a constructive comment and suggestion?

Why not have a new area which could be called, "Slag Off Zone", where members who like this sort of activity can attack each other ad infinitum?

It should tidy things up a wee bit and also make flamewars easier to put out.

Most important of all, it should help threads to stay on topic and prevent boring so many with fueds and petty squabbles, as well as discouraging new members.

In fact a Win:Win:Win proposition![I]

[/quote]

I agree. The tidying would be good. Differing tolerance levels could be useful ( see http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/668877/ShowPost.aspx ).

Humorus response - Slag-off room, Slags room, Lags room....

Adult reponse; yes we shouldn't need to be slagging off. Why not a rule about going for the ball not the player? Yellow Card Red card and out.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Can I make a suggestion ? If you really feel the need to slag some one off walk away from the computer and go and have a cup of tea/coffee, count to ten several times etc ( I would suggest a nice glass of wine, but I wouldn't want anyone enboldened [:(]) Ovaltine may be ideal [:)][:)] )

[/quote]

Well, I don't feel the need: that's the whole point. I came here from "That other place" since it seemed far more well, adult, I suppose.

However, recent endless diatribes (which don't actually bother me, BTW) seem to be positively discouraging others and I can't see the point in this.

However, as some members seem to like endless circular arguments along the lines of, "But you said; she said, then I said; then you said............................." it just seemed logical to create one space where they can snipe at each other until they themsleves become bored by the whole process.

That's all.

Will used to use an excellent expression at the end of his posts along the lines of ' This my experience, others may have found differently'

As I have said before, I really don't mind a heated debate, its when things get overly personal in a negative way that problems begin.

I, too, am fed up with the constant sniping and stupid arguments.  I used to love the forum and have to admit to many hours in the past reading and occasionally contributing, but now I do not find the same enjoyment, and consequently spend very little time on it.

Please let us go back to what I am sure the forum was meant for, ie constructive helpful advice to others, giving of one's past experience etc. and also having a little nice laugh at the differences and joys which after all is the reason why we are all in France!

Be happy!

Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that any group or organization, no matter what it's purpose, will eventually have people fighting with each other.  It's relatively inevitable, since members may have some things in common, but not all things.

Further to that, somehow writing in email or on forums always gets out of hand at one point or another. I think that it's something that no amount of emoticons can control; sarcasm and pointed humor seem to get lost in the translation.  On top of that, unlike with a letter, we tend to post our comments without re-reading them to see if the tone is what we intended.  Once it's gone, it's gone, no calling it back.

It's very sad, really.  I've known several friendships that have been destroyed due to heated forum exchanges.

PG