Rather Strange

Dick Smith

Very odd - I just received a PM notification from a mod via email, so I responded, I thought, to them.

I quickly got a message back from James Parfitt (out of office) saying that he will be out of the office until 12th November...  need to turn that off, James.

But: Does that mean that all replies to mods go back to Mr Parfitt?

Dick - I believe notification of e-mails and private messages comes via the admin e-mail address. If you reply to the e-mail, it will go to admin (i.e. James) rather than the person who sent the private message - you need to reply via the PM link on the forum. Sorry if that's just stating what you know already, but it's the only explanation I can think of. Unless a lot has changed since I was on the team, and that's always a strong possibility of course. One of the things I did that was 'wrong' was have off-forum e-mail and PM conversations with forum users, strictly speaking anything I said should have been made public to the admin team. So maybe that explains it...

[quote user="Dick Smith"]...But: Does that mean that all replies to mods go back to Mr Parfitt?
[/quote]

Not as far as I know Dick, but if you need a reply from James himself, he is indeed out of office until Tuesday.

Hi,

November!? That's what happens when you get someone else to set up an out of office reply!

No, I don't get a cc of moderators correspondence. I think you probably replied to the notification email in error, instead of clicking on the link to the PM system. If this happens the email would come to the admin system instead of to the individual and hence the autoreply.

Perhaps it would be best if the notification didn't contain the PM text? That way it would be clearer that you need to respond via PM. However the way it is set up means that you don't have to go to the forum to read the PM.

James

Hello All,

You can tell me to mind my own business, or to go away, or if you prefer you may simply ignore me but I have a burning curiosity.

How does one become a mod?  Not that I want to be one, I just want to know.  Does one apply or is one chosen.  If one is chosen then how?

Just a nosey question that's all.[:)]

[quote user="Just Katie "]

Hello All,

You can tell me to mind my own business, or to go away, or if you prefer you may simply ignore me but I have a burning curiosity.

How does one become a mod?  Not that I want to be one, I just want to know.  Does one apply or is one chosen.  If one is chosen then how?

Just a nosey question that's all.[:)]

[/quote]

I was wondering as well.  At a guess, does James pick them out of a hat? 

[quote] .................I was wondering as well.  At a guess, does James pick them out of a hat?  [/quote]

[:D] If only !!

They apply.   I believe for some,(note the emphasis of some)  it will be something, that is seen along the lines of the wearing of a uniform, or so I was told by someone who runs a very large Forum........