Cassis

I seem to be having trouble changing my profile - I want to put in some new web links and change avatar etc. but keep getting an error message.  Any ideas, admin, please?  Apologies for the page width but that's the error message.

Server Error in '/cs' Application.

Cannot

insert the value NULL into column 'UserId', table

'LCommunityServer.dbo.aspnet_Profile'; column does not allow nulls.

INSERT fails. The statement has been terminated.

Description: An

unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web

request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the

error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException:

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'UserId', table

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the

current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of

the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'UserId', table 'LCommunityServer.dbo.aspnet_Profile'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

The statement has been terminated.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) +742

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +195

CommunityServer.Controls.EditProfile.Update_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1046

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1292

Mr Sausage and Clair, are you also trying to change your private email address (the very first field in your profile).  If you try to change that the system will not let you save anything.  Try making the other profile changes whilst leaving the email one set to your original email address.

The error that you are getting Cassis, is due to the system trying to save a change, and throwing a wobbly at your email address.  I don't know if you're getting the same error or not Clair?

I've had this discussion with James.  He says I can't make profile changes because my private email address is not the same as my login address, so I should change my private email address to match.  But the system won't let me change my private email address to match my login address.  Catch-22.  So I'm assuming only James can fix this.

[quote user="Cat"]Mr Sausage and Clair, are you also trying to change your private email address (the very first field in your profile).  If you try to change that the system will not let you save anything.  Try making the other profile changes whilst leaving the email one set to your original email address.

The error that you are getting Cassis, is due to the system trying to save a change, and throwing a wobbly at your email address.  I don't know if you're getting the same error or not Clair?[/quote]

I cannot speak for Boudin au Cassis, but below is the error message I'm getting. I am not trying to change my email address (just the location and the avatar), although it is indeed different from my login...

Cannot

Exception Details:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException:

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'UserId', table 'LCommunityServer.dbo.aspnet_Profile'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) +742

CommunityServer.Controls.EditProfile.Update_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1046

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

Oh I see [:(]

Have you ever logged off of the forum, or do you always go in via a cookie that remembers your login details?

You could try logging off of the system (using the Logout tab at the top right corner of the page) and then logging in again using your private email address, as that is obviously being stored somewhere, perhaps in a different account. You might then be able to make changes.

But it might not work, it might even screw things completely (you could lose your post rank, eeek, if I'm allowed to say that, Dick???).

I've tried login on with my different email address, no match, so no go...

I've tried changing back to my old email address, error message...

I've tried everything short of creating a new ID!!! [8-)]

EDIT/ it looks as if my cleaner avatar has been uploaded after all!!!

I'll try the location change again...

Sorry, Cat, your clumsy attempt to get rid of me failed. [:)]

Logged out then back in.  Tried to update email address and still got:

Cannot

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException:

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[quote user="Cassis"]Sorry, Cat, your clumsy attempt to get rid of me failed. [:)]

[/quote]

Curses, foiled again!

But what I meant was that now perhaps you will be able to change those other things in your profile (except the email address) without getting errors.

[quote user="Cat"]Ah, so perhaps it was the logging off and then back on that solved it.  Which I suppose might make sense as it might "force" an update to something that was changed some time ago. [/quote]

I'd like to think so, but as I log on/off everyday (I have another user on the laptop...) it's unlikely to be the case...

I still cannot amend my location... [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/239.gif[/img]