Weather update in your region

Good old subject this and to get us away from controversial doings that are going on at the moment in other threads. Saw on the news earlier that Germany had a lot of snow during the night on their Alps (presume Bavaria) and that it is the coldest there for ten years for the time of year. Well here in Finistre it is dry with some sunshine (just) but not at all warm - 16C at moment. One good thing is that the veggies like it and romping away with their growth and final products. I've had a bumper crop of blackcurrants and raspberries too. Lets hope the week finds the weather getting back to it's usual track and even hotter for August to come.

We made it up to a tropical 24 degrees here at midday by the Med, the sky is mostly grey. Evenings have been just below balmy.

The water in the swimming pool is cold! I wallowed on the lilo yesterday for 5 minutes, the half of me in the water was chilled, the half facing the sun was warm, I felt like a baked Alaska. Then it got cloudy, and I felt like an unbaked Alaska, so I got out!

And propos of absolutely nothing, we've got a population explosion of gipsy moths (or travelling-folk moths, if you'd rather). In the Cvennes a couple of weeks ago, the ground was a Caterpillar Carpet. Here, the moths themselves are fluttering everywhere, they're quite funny with their big feathery antennae, they look like they're at a fancy dress ball.

Lot 46

The rain we have had in the last week has been so light that when we dug over the veggy patch to put in some more beans last night the ground was as dry as a bone, this now makes getting on for 8 weeks with no real rain.

Not very warm but weather forecast says that it will warm up on Thursday when we are off to the Tour de France.

As an aside, we have friends who always bring the rain with them, the wife arrived the day before the weather turned cloudy and is due to go back home on Friday, so you should all be able to get out the sun tan lotion then.

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

Val, you must be psychic. I was only reflecting this morning, "no threads on the weather this summer on the Forum" and couldn't help remembering all the talk about la canicule this time last year and people desperately searching for tips on keeping cool.

M

Here in Deux Sevres it has been very dry. We had several weeks of very hot sunny weather in May/June and decided it was time to put up our gonflable piscine - tant pis as since then it has been quite cool! We had a horrid spell last week of wind and some downpours of rain spread over a couple of days but in between the showers the sun came out and dried all the water up so the garden did not really get the soaking it needs.
Does anyone else have a fly problem? They seemed to arrive a couple of weeks ago and within hours the flypapers were black with them -yuk!