Tour de France "Brits Out "

Miki

LAST EDITED ON 10-Jul-04 AT 04:01 PM (BST)

Anyone watch the Tour on FR2 today?

Just outside Plancoet and written in large white letters were the words ..........Brits Out.

I know it is has been seen often enough in the Central Brittany region but are the strong feelings felt by the persons doing this, getting nearer the Dinan area now (not that it hasn't been aired around here before but more rarely)or was it just specifically written for maximum effect on the road as the Tour was passing that spot?

I certainly do not subscribe to those that say it is other Brits writing it. This may be just a few Bretons showing their anger but from a few with these feelings, will it grow or subside?

All I know is, from my point of view anyway, if Brits continue to congregate and form small(large?)enclaves, we will be seen by many, as no better than those immigrants in the UK that do the same thing and which I believe (I might be wrong) some actually leave Britain to avoid.

Sure, we can always think that we are a different case but I see it as exactly the same. I listen or join in on some French discussions on occasions and recently one chap asked me as to why the Brits are coming here in such large numbers, my reasons had them scratching their heads.

I just told them that they want to escape Britain because of the way it is for them now, their answer..........Will they bring that culture with them? Their thoughts were, if you can't mix with immigrants at home or live with it, do they expect us (French)to be any different?

That set me back a bit, as that was the first time I had ever been given that kind of response. Which makes me wonder if some of the French are now thinking a little more seriously about all us Brits coming here in numbers not seen before.

Food for thought eh?

Put yourself in some French persons shoes and think how your village in the UK would change, if, all of a sudden the village has 10 French kids arrive in a year or so, house prices rise (OK you can say the French are selling houses "dearer" that would normally rest unsold or sell at a "normal" price) the village changes character, the local bar changes hands to a French person, whose only English is "Hello" "Goodbye".

I admire those that really try to integrate and I know many do but, I can only say, if we want to be respected and live side by side with our hosts, we ALL (me included)need to think more about what will make us be accepted and what will only antagonise the locals.

Far fetched, think differently, it happens. I am not taking a pop at anyone, just asking all of us to think how you would feel if the "chaussette" was on the other "pied"

I can only say from my point of view, that we are so very lucky that many French are willing to accept us, I doubt very much the Brits would be so willing to accept the same situation.

Bon weekend !

Miki

>recently one chap asked me
>as to why the Brits
>are coming here in such
>large numbers, my reasons had
>them scratching their heads.

It's true, isn't it!

My neighbour was talking recently about how she liked Portugal, because people treat you as an equal, no matter what your job or income is.

I said that's how many anglais find France, and she nearly fell off her chair. They must be mad, she said, do they really think that? She just couldn't believe that les anglais think that there are no class issues in France.

When anyone asks me why Brits come here, I just tell them it's because property's cheap, they can understand that

Miki,

Well put, I couldn't agree with you more.

It's funny how some English state that one of the many reasons they leave the UK is because it 'full of bl@@dy immigrants who make no effort to integrate and can't speak a word of English' what do they do, come over here and do exactly the same. One woman guest who was house hunting and staying with us asked where the Brits were, I asked if she wanted to ensure she didn't buy near them to which she said 'Oh no it's nice to live amongst ones own'. Dont know why she didnt move to Surrey, well I do actually, she was one of those that also watches A place in the Sun from 5 years back and thought she could buy a 5 bed mansion with pool for 20,000, got quite a shock and we wont be seeing her again, thank god.

By the way saw a house in 1 Hectare to renovate in Ariege for 315,000, thought it was a joke but there are quite a few like that for the same sort of money, frightening isnt it.

Chris

http://www.chambresdhote.com

LAST EDITED ON 10-Jul-04 AT 08:07 PM (BST)

>
>All I know is, from my
>point of view anyway, if
>Brits continue to congregate and
>form small(large?)enclaves, we will be
>seen by many, as no
>better than those immigrants in
>the UK that do the
>same thing and which I
>believe (I might be wrong)
>some actually leave Britain to
>avoid.
>
>I can only say from my
>point of view, that we
>are so very lucky that
>many French are willing to
>accept us, I doubt very
>much the Brits would be
>so willing to accept the
>same situation.
>
>Bon weekend !
>
>Miki

In the June edition of Le Chasseur Francais, there was a letter from a reader, responding to an article in the April edition entitled "Will my house please the English?" (ie can I flog my cottage for lots more money to them?)

He was saying that in his area (and I'm sure he was in 50 region), everyone sticks to their own culture, and the British don't try hard enough to integrate - they prefer to anglicise everything around them... The Brits then go home after a couple of years, leaving behind a community they've created that the French don't want, so everyone loses their jobs... He didn't say Brits Out, but he did call the British people 'envahirs' (...or should that be envahisseurs'? The Chasseur mag is downstairs and I'm too lazy to go and find it!)

I didn't see the original article that prompted this letter, but it was in April's Le Chasseur. Does anyone have a copy I could buy, please? TK

Miki..

Their thoughts were, if you can't mix with immigrants at home or live with it, do they expect us (French)to be any different?

You imply with the above "quote" of yours that the Brits are leaving because they are fed up with the immigrants. I don't think that is the case at all...We are looking to relocate (couple mid 40's) to France for several reasons. All, mainly because we don't like what we see in the UK..and we live in sleepy Norfolk!!!

Our reasons, amongst others, are:

The breakdown of social values in the UK, shown by the fact that there is no longer a consequence to anyones actions.

The UK mentality that it's always someone else's fault!

The fact that if you are unemployed, etc you deserve/get every benefit going. However, if, like my wife, you have paid into the "system" all your working life and become ill, you have to fight for ANYTHING. Especially if you have been prudent enough to have managed to have saved some money.

UK aggression and road rage!

Small minded UK culture...insular and Europhobic!

Motorways that have signs saying max speed limit of 50mph when in fact the rolling traffic jam is rarely doing more than 30mph!

Money making speed cameras!

Bus lanes that are empty whilst there is a queue of polluting traffic sat next to it.

Tony Blair waging war on Iraq on the pretence of WMD.

Council tax of 140/month ...for what?

House prices!

Car prices!

Petrol prices!

Wine prices!

A poor police and law system.

Waiting times on the NHS. My wife fell down the stairs breaking her coccyx! The appt for the severe pain clinic was in 12 months time!

Pensions & Taxes.

The weather!

Blimey...I could go on...and on and on and on.....(in fact I have!)

Anyway, there you go...fire away. Luckily we are in a situation where we can, and will be, do something about it! France..here we come.

Miki,
you really like putting the cat among the pigeons , don't you!!!
As soon as I saw this post I thought- here we go, another pointless slanging match on the same subject.
Don't you rent gites,? Nothing better to do on changeover day?

People paint all sorts of silly things on the roads for Le Tour, don't take it so seriously

I suppose it depends where you live as to the depth of feeling of any kind for the British.

You have to realise that around me in Morbihan there are loads of British owned properties. Prices rise, locals can't buy etc etc. Lots are holiday homes used perhaps a month a year. The others often occupied by people working on the black - or not working at all. All my work mates grumble where as before they would not say anything directly to me.

Apparently, there is 'trouble' in the village amongst the British clique. I have nothing to do with them. No time but wary also. Lot of back biting and gossip.

Anyway, she says ducking down behind the settee, apparently, because of the massive rise in prices, a 'better class of person' is now buying. So that's alright then!!

>All I know is, from my
>point of view anyway, if
>Brits continue to congregate and
>form small(large?)enclaves, we will be
>seen by many, as no
>better than those immigrants in
>the UK that do the
>same thing and which I
>believe (I might be wrong)
>some actually leave Britain to
>avoid.
>

Good for you, Miki, for articulating this for I've long harboured similar thoughts. The only problem is, there are now so many Brits in France that where in the country can British people move to if they don't want to be seen to be extending the enclaves? (Answers to my private box please!)

>Sure, we can always think that
>we are a different case
>but I see it as
>exactly the same. I listen
>or join in on some
>French discussions on occasions and
>recently one chap asked me
>as to why the Brits
>are coming here in such
>large numbers, my reasons had
>them scratching their heads.

I have similar conversations (often) with my French friends, especially a couple who were brought up just outside Cahors. They left with their Bacs to pursue university education and then employment in Paris and can't for the life of them understand why young British families want to move to an area that they (and most of their friends) were so pleased to be able to escape as it offers relatively few opportunities. And unfortunately I'm incapable of shedding any sensible light on this phenomenon either.

>I just told them that they
>want to escape Britain because
>of the way it is
>for them now,

I was talking to a chap today who has sold up in Surrey, quit his (well paid) job and is moving lock, stock and barrel to a house he hasn't yet actually seen in Deux Sevres. (His brother has bought it on his behalf.) He admits he can't speak a word of French, acknowledges there may not be too great a call for internal auditors in 79 (especially those that can't speak French) but he can't wait to leave Britain because "of the politics". Interestingly, when challenged he didn't know anything about the French political scene, though somehow this doesn't seem to bother him and perhaps it's just as well!

Frankly, I am beginning to think the government is putting something in the water in Britain that turns previously quite rational human beings into utter madmen.

>Put yourself in some French persons
>shoes and think how your
>village in the UK would
>change, if, all of a
>sudden the village has 10
>French kids arrive in a
>year or so, house prices
>rise (OK you can say
>the French are selling houses
>"dearer" that would normally rest
>unsold or sell at a
>"normal" price) the village changes