1 thing that was the biggest help moving to france

1 thing that was the biggest help:

Mothers, aged 80+, both saying "what wonderful thing to do", and ''when can I come and see you"?

1 thing you realised you had not prepared for missing quite so much:

Mothers like these.

p.s and TKMAX

One of the biggest helps for me was the fantastic neighbours - both French and English.  Everyone has been so kind.  Our French neighbours sent their son around to play with mine in the second week because she knew he wouldn't know anyone here.  Neither could speak the others language, but that didn't seem to matter and and they have become great friends since.

Clara

At the risk of being called a bum-licking groveller, I would have to say that it was this Forum

We found our first (rent free!!!!) rental through the LF Forum, which allowed us to try things out for a while before committing to a permanent move. We also met our best friends through this Forum and they have helped us in more ways than I have space to write about!

Almost all our problems and queries and questions have been sorted out or answered via the Forum and along the way we have made contact with some wonderful people who have since become good friends.

Okay, NOW can I have ALL MY POSTS re-instated please (this amount of flattery deserves summat don't it???). I would like a new title please, Eleanor -  Frau Ubersturmforumposterer, Senior Member and VIP.

Penny

Penny,

I agree with you, up to now this forum has been a godsend to me. I know there are now other forums and I do like dipping into them, but this was my first and I'll always keep coming back!  I think I must have been here for almost 4 years now, and in a few weeks we are really, actually, truly, finally, real life, no going back gonna be in France for good.

I hope the other good things will be such things as our neighbours, locals etc too!

My neighbour in the hutch across the road has just turned his stereo down at last,....can't wait 'till October!!

Bob

Tresco:  My parents did even better - they asked us (in the UK) if we really wanted to retire to France and when we admitted that we did said "good, we want to come too". Which they have, aged 78 and 79, and had a new house built for themselves a few miles from us.

Hereford

When we moved here the internet didn't exist like today. However I did have a local phone book as our house had already been our holiday home for over five years and I happened to notice another english name for our commune. Took a deep breath and rang the lady to ask her for some answers to our most pressing questions,namely the car and local insurers etc. She was pleased to help and today she has moved nearer to us and is a good friend still.I was able to repay her kindness when her husband died recently as she has no family close and we helped her sort the funeral out.