EDF and GDF bills

I'm sure there must be something in the archives but I'm not having any success with the advanced search so....

My EDF/GDF bill arrived today and the gas looks a bit high for the amount we've used it. We've not been in the house long enough to get a trend so I wondered if anyone has a feel for the relative prices of gas and electricity compared with current (no pun intended!) UK prices. Thanks,

Graham

As in UK EDF/GDF only actually read your meter once or twice a year and they use the history of usage at your property to estimate in between. They seem to take no notice of a change in ownership until you have been there long enough to create your own history. When we first moved to France our house had previously been a holiday home and we had tiny bills, but they caught up with us eventually!!

I have no idea how EDF compares with UK , not really relevant to us here, but I see that UK gas prices are going up sometime in the future.

I did notice from my last EDF bill that the cost per kWh had actually gone down minutely. I think my problem is that the house leaks heat like a sieve!

Graham, IMHO you can't compare like for like.  Used to cost us twice as much to heat and light a 95sqm apartment in Paris as it did a 4 b/r detached house in England.  I still get shivvers up my spine at the thought of opening an EDF bill.  Val2 once posted something terribly useful about the importance of fully insulating your French home and it's something we're going to take good notice off when we move back.  Few people on the Forum ever admit this but everyone we know in France has a cold house in the winter despite paying through the nose for utilities.  M

I suspect that for a well insulated home here or in the UK that it is more expensive here, probably because the abonnements are so high.

Mine are over 100 euros a year for gas and relatively cheap for electricity because I have EJP, but still over a 100 euros a year and would be far more for the 18KW's we have if we weren't on EJP, probably double that.

We upped ours to 18KW's as I got sick to death of tripping out if I tried to use various machines etc in the house at the same time.

Both our bills come to over 1200 euros a year and there are just two of us here now, they used to be around 1000ff a month when the kids were here and bills have gone up since then.

The EDF will actually come out and check exactly what you need for less than 20 euros, (around here at least) and you could end up saving that quite quickly by having the right abonnement etc. You do need the right one, I have tried to live with things tripping all the time and it terrible.

However, each abonnement has it's own tarif, which you can check on the EDF website and the abonnements are not cheap.

I would dearly love to get my electricity bill down even more, but I don't know how I could now.

we posted messages about our electricity prices sometime ago and our abbonement of 52.50 euros per month! It turns out that we are on 3 phase electricity and we are now arranging for it to be changed to single phase with a low abbonement which, hopefully, will justify the 650 euros to get it changed. The electrician has to fit a new consumer unit so is fitting an "intellegent" unit that will prevent the system tripping. Once the house is up and running the appliance thermostats should mean that all appliances can be on, However, if you arrived at the house, turned everything on, it would trip, but the consumer unit will turn say 2 heaters off for 10 minutes then switch them back on thus reducing the load in turn. The work should be starting about now so we will have to wait and see!