Moving to France : Another view ?

Mpprh

[quote]Surely when TU moves back she will be resident ? Isn't that the 'qualification' for receiving health care in the UK ?[/quote]

Plus knowing a little about TU, she speaks rather good English as well as French, which was partly what she was speaking about in her post. The clue simply was in reading it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re Health Payments:

I've already had a row at the CPAM about this. Our situation is unusual and I am frankly not prepared to go into every detail. However, when we move back the pay will come from France and they were quite firm at the CPAM, we get paid in France, and we have to pay the health system in France, and they will issue an E form to hand in to Newcastle. And as UK residents then, will be treat as anyone else living there.

I don't want to do this. I want to pay where we are living.  It seems fundamentally right that we pay where we are going to live and have treatment. 

Also,  if by chance we holiday in France and are ill, we won't be classed as paying into the french system, even though we will be. We will only have an E111 and all that entails.

Seems crazy to me. I'm not responsible for these particularly stupid rules. However, I will rattle a few cages in both countries before I'm finished and you never know, I may get something changed, now that would be a nice thought........ although I won't hold my breath.

And I won't even mention the mutualist cover, as that is yet another problem in the equation in, what will be, our complicated situation.

Re Heating costs AND electricity:

I am quite happy to be paying £1000 a month. Who on earth ever said that stating a fact was a whinge. It isn't. Our bills used to be far worse and I was rather pleased when, to my pleasant surprise natural gas arrived in our village and we could get gas central heating. We used to burn 7.5 tonnes of wood a year and it was around £90 a tonne. I have a well insulated home and I like to keep it nice and warm.......no, I am HAPPY with my GDF/EDF bill. 

However, should people come here and imagine that their bills are going to be low, when they may well not be, ie so I say what we pay. That isn't a moan, or negative, that is just a fact of life. And many friends in the UK with far bigger homes than me, also well insulated (in the what can be cold NE) pay a lot less than we do.

Hi

I would like to ask Later a question. I presume that you did not move to france and that your decission was based on the research you did. So you have had no practical experience of living in France. So how do you actually know what you are missing. It might be as you state a complete pile of smelly stuff but on the other hand.

And before I get slated No amount of planning or research can give you an insight of the practicallities of doing anything.

One other point, I have made this before on the language forum, but quite frankly I am amazed that people move to any foreign country without learning the language. How do these people know what is happening How do they know what is important and as TU rightly says they cost a fortune. We had a french girl working with us several years ago her English was not bad but she still had difficulty contributing And we had to find ways of explaining simple things which took time If we were busy it made matters worse. I can not imagine how a supervisor could work with French people not being able to communicate with them Imagine the respect the don't get

Richard

... I would like to ask Later a question. I presume that you did not move to france and that your decission was based on the research you did. So you have had no practical experience of living in France. So how do you actually know what you are missing. It might be as you state a complete pile of smelly stuff but on the other hand ...

Hello Dicky Drawstrings

I have no practical experience of living in Darfur, but I bet research on the subject would suggest that the experience might be a complete pile of smelly stuff. 

BTW, I never said that it would be a pile of smelly stuff.  I said people should do their homework before they move ... and I provided some info on some of the smelly bits.  People tend to ignore the smelly bits. 

My thoughts about moving to France fluctuate between wanting to go one week and thinking it would be a mad idea the next.  It just so happens that at the moment I'm erring towards wanting to go.  It doesn't change anything I wrote on the website ... or the fact that my wife is off the idea ... 

In moving to Darfur I would take into account a number of different factors. Death, Starvation, Disease to name three. Education and tax would not be high on my agenda trying to save dying people might be.

Your point about research is well made but perhaps there is something that research can't tell you only by doing something can you understand it fully. Moving to Darfur I might understand the true meaning of suffering for instance.

Incidentally I feel the same as you, some days I want to go and some days I feel like staying here. However I know that I will move because I could not live with myself if I did not. I hate that "I wish I had" when I know that I could feeling.

I did find your site thought provoking which is why I joined the forum prior to moving rather than after.

best wishes to you and your family

Richard

I certainly agree there is no substitute for the real thing - and you'd never really know what it was like unless you went.  I'd like to think if you were prepared for the worst, then your experience of the real thing would be a lot more tolerable / enjoyable.

Many thanks and best regards to yours too.