Irritating posts

Mysfloss

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if it is 'humble', as opposed to 'honest' why state that you are humble? I'm not humble, but I will admit i'm wrong, if someone presents a good argument. Sometimes I am just plain wrong, no argument neccessary, and up go my hands, but humble? Once I started to think about it I just couldn't use these admittedly, very common terms; again.

Tresco, if we all spent time analysing what we said, wouldn't life get a bit dull?   I'm sure the Queen has never said anything objectionable (grammatically) in her life, but how long could you listen to her?!

"IMHO" is just a joke, innit?  A minor, tongue-in-cheek, rhetorical device to disarm your opponent.  

I've found this thread most entertaining.  Isn't it what's known as a meta-chat, a chat about chatting?

It's one of the wonderful things about being a human, and I LOVE IT. 

[quote]I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most irritating post of all: "PM in your inbox" Aghhhh. If it's something that everyone will find useful then post it. If not then why make such a useless post...[/quote]

I must admit I have done that - but usually when its a newbie who may not yet have discovered their inbox. Its necessary sometimes to only post to in-boxs when trying to obey the rules of the forum.

Some months ago there was a very interesting thread devoted solely to the subject of why post "message in your in box".  I agree, it is irritating, but suspect many people prefer to do this rather than risk being shot down in flames by the snipers and the trolls.  There are some incredibly rude people out there lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce and pick holes in what was a purely innocent, well intentioned comment.  M

[quote]I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most irritating post of all: "PM in your inbox" Aghhhh. If it's something that everyone will find useful then post it. If not then why make such a useless post...[/quote]

I would have thought the answer to this is obvious. It is not always appropriate to post something to the forum so a private message is the way to do it.

Not thinking through a response or post before placing it..... now that's irritating innit know what I mean in my honest opinion

[quote]LOL - I always thought that IMHO meant In my *humble* opinion!Perhaps people are more honest than you thought[/quote]

Share your belief that IMHO means 'in my humble opinion'. 

'With respect', IMHO is a polite way of saying that you regard the views of the other person but you don't share them. 

FWIW, AFAIK these above statements are true. 

Jumping back to a couple of posts above here..

Regarding Message in your In box - this isn't necessary with the new forum as you receive an e.mail telling you there is one. Well, unless you don't check your e.mails, that is.

Regarding the meaning of "In my humble opinion" how do you all receive that comment - do you feel that it takes on the same meaning as "with respect" i.e. "what a load of old c*******s"? Of course, that's just my humble opinion with regard to "with respect".

Or is it because when people use it, they are scared someone is going to shout at them for having a different opinion?

"To be fair" - I think that tends to be used when someone has criticised someone, but is then saying they can't really help what they have been criticised for. For example they have done something badly, but to be fair, they did have a lot of things happening to interrupt them. I think that is a more genuine one.

I tend to use 'in my humble opinion ' when I know there is more than one logical/reasonable view, or when I appreciate that others may have an equally valid view to mine.

I guess to me it means, 'this is what I think, if you think otherwise, show me why'

'With respect' means - OK thats your view but it is NOT mine!