So, how did it go for you?

Weedon

Today being the International Day for the Elderly I woke up feeling sort of..well..the same really, sort of bewildered.  The day progressed, the postie came..no cards, I went to Point P to get some pointing stuff, nobody wished me anything as I entered the shop and even if they did I wouldn't have understood and the rest of the day didn't get anymore exciting than that.  The day hasn't quite finished so I am sitting here hoping that something may happen.

Maybe tomorrow I will wake up feeling....something.

Weedon (53)

It's the first I've heard about International Day for the Elderly! The only thing I heard on television today was that it was Fish Week!

I haven't been near any shops for weeks, so, are they actually selling "Happy Elderly Person Day" cards then?

What will they think of next? They introduced Grandparents day, but I haven't a clue when it is, and I certainly wouldn't encourage my children to send cards to their grandparents (who don't even know about it, I think).

We told our kids not to bother with Mother's Day and Father's Day. I'd quite like to cancel Christmas. I enjoy giving to my children, although it's harder as they get older, but I'd really rather not receive gifts and cards because if people appreciate me, I'd rather they showed it in other ways. So, I assume they don't and so I'd rather not have duty presents. A letter, e.mail or phone call from a friend at any time of year is far more welcome.

In the UK its Breast Cancer month, or maybe its called 'Breast aware' (no rude comments from saucy men, please )

I will be supporting that. I lost a good friend to this in the summer, she was truly a remarkable lady, so its a cause close to my heart at present.

As for elderly, just how old do you have to be ??

[quote]me thinks hallmark and clinton card companies invent these days just to flog more cards, oh and i'm sure the post office is envolved, what with more people sending e-mails, they need some way to shift...[/quote]

I got the info from the newspaper French News and it appears as if I was the only one who read it!!

Weedon(53)

Yes I read about this in the French news but I will never ( I hope ) think of myself as elderly. I just keep on moving the middle-aged range forever upwards. Reminds me of an 80+ neighbour we had once who would say that she was doing voluntary work with old people. Pat.

Yes, my Mum is the same - a few years ago she was in hospital and said she didn't belong in that section of the hospital with all those old people. I can't remember how old she was at the time, but certainly over 70 but most likely closer to 80. She's 87 now and feels it a great injustice that she now has days when she can't walk very well. But then, so do I and I'm 42 years younger! I also had suggested a few years ago that she joined the local pensioners club, but she was very disdainful about mixing with old people.

According to a Yahoo article which I have now lost, an old man was killed when a boiler blew up, flew out of the building and landed on him. His age, early 60's.

Makes me wonder how my aunt of 84 manages with a boyfriend (who is in his late 70's and works almost full time) - perhaps they are just reborn and/or the writer has another term for them.  Mind you, it is far more likely that no-one has told them that they are old.