Nuclear France

Prompted by yesterday's little fracas at Cherbourg harbour, where two anti-nuclear protesters were arrested as they tried to protest against plutonium being transported by sea from the States, then by road all the way down to the south of France to be dealt with.

http://www.francenuc.org/toc_e.htm

Ever wondered what all those nuclear places dotted about the French countryside actually do?  Here's your answer!   Some bits of it might worry those of a sensitive disposition.

LA ROCHELLE

Until the end of 1974, the plant released all radioactive liquids and solids directly into the sea. Since, and until the end of 1990, it sent at least a part of the solid residues to the CSM. These wastes are composed, among other substances, of thorium 232, uranium 238, and their descendants (including radium 226 and 228).

I always wondered why everyone in the Charente had such a glowing complexion.

Hi

There was a local scare a few years ago when it was discovered that there were significant residues of radioactive material being discharged into the Med from the River Rhone.

There is a current from the Rhone following the coast Westward at about 2 knots. It has created the Camargue delta and causes the sandy beaches running to the Pyrenees.

Scary ?

And this is even more scary : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_accidents

Peter

Very scary indeed!

Has anyone read "Riddley Walker" by Russell Hoban?   It's a book that I found extremely frightening and disturbing.

"The Littl Shyning Man the Addom he begun tu cum a part he cryd, I wan tu go I wan tu stay. Eusa sed, Tel mor. The Addom sed, I wan tu dark I want tu lyt I wan tu day I wan tu nyt....."

.... and that's me sleepless in Seattle tonight.  

SB, I was standing in the garden of what was not only the house of my dreams but, more importantly, a house in which I felt we could be extremely happy for a very long time to come.  Everything was going swimmingly, we had even persuaded the owners to leave all sorts of charming fixtures and fittings behind (for a price).  We were on the verge of signing on the dotted line when, standing on a hillock looking out over the gorgeous provencal countryside, my husband asked what that cloud of smoke was over there in the distance.  Gallic shrug, dismissive gesture, merely one of the nuclear power stations on the Rhone Valley.  It doesn't bother me in the slightest, I would have thought you've got a greater chance of being killed on the roads in France than you have through nuclear fall out.  And it's not as though we even have children's health to consider.  But he could not be convinced.  So it was the kiss of death I'm afraid, not only to that beautiful house, but the entire area.  Shame...   M

Did anyone espy the convoy as it made its way past Toulouse, Carcassonne, Montpellier, Nimes?  Here's a clue - it was the one with LOADS of police cars and bikes round it, and a helicopter.

Piles of well-travelled plutonium.  My son said "the Americans don't have a place to do that themselves?  I thought America had everything!".

The place it was bound for was the nuclear (as well as other energy) research place at Cadarache.

I say, research as when we had our first place in Provence, near to Vinon sur Verdon just a few km's along the road (next place was not too far away in Manosque) that was what it was (still is?) and on the odd occasion the alarms went off, people used to be vary wary about whether it was a general test (normal !) or something had actually happened at the site. Being a large employer of local people, it's not surprising that people were cautious but I can't say I ever sensed any fear from the locals in their general everyday life. There was one big scare at the site but can't recall a lot about it.

Do the Americans have a use for old plutonium ?

Bit of a step up for Steptoe's style of totting innit ?  Bet the Franch gave the yanks more than a goldfish for that lot !