Registering a child for British Nationality

Cjb

I'm due to become a father at some point during the next two months and would like our daughter to have dual nationality. She will automatically receive french nationality but I'd also like her to have british nationality. I've heard that it's a pretty straightforward process and would be very grateful if anyone could explain the necessary procedures. Any other tips on parenthood would also be most welcome. I'm treasuring my sleep at the moment as I've been reliably informed that It'll soon be but a distant memory!

The best thing to do is call the British embassy, they are very clear and explain well.

My husband is French and I'm British so our children have the right to both nationalities. We didn't do anything about registering them for either nationality. Since they were born in France, they have French birth certificates. All three have French ID cards (they're free) and the youngest has a French passport too.

Not long after the eldest was born, we realised we didn't have enough time to get him a French ID card before travelling so we called the British embassy and had him added to my passport (warning; you can't do this any more) All we needed were his and my birth certificates.

That passport has since expired so none of them have any form of British passport at the moment. A couple of years ago, I rang the consulate in Marseilles to see if it would be necessary to register their births with the embassy before getting passports and I was told that it was both unnecessary and expensive. Since I was Britsih and born in the UK, then they had British nationality (although not being born in the UK, they can't pass it on) Apparently when (if) I get round to getting them UK passports, they will just need their French birth certs and my UK one.

As for tips on parenthood; Just enjoy it

Many thanks, Mistral

It's not a no.1 priority, just something I'd like to do in time. The first thing will be to register the birth here in France. I'll get in touch with the embassy at some point in the future.

Our daughter has dual nationality. I'm British, my wife French and our daughter was born in the UK.

She is currently added to my UK passport - although she won't be when I renew it early next year - and and she has a French ID card from the Consulate in London.

What I am not sure on is whether she has to choose a nationality when she reaches 18 or whatever. Anyone out there any ideas?

CJB said: Any other tips on parenthood would also be most welcome.

As an extraterrestrial myself, I know nothing about earthly nationality.  But here's a webpage about parenthood.   And it's all.  Scarily.  True.

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/forum/nick/parenthood.html

"Before you finally go ahead and have children, find a couple who are already parents and berate them about their methods of discipline, lack of patience, appallingly low tolerance levels, and how they have allowed their children to run riot. Suggest ways in which they might improve their child's sleeping habits, toilet training, table manners, and overall behavior. Enjoy it - it's the last time in your life that you will have all of the answers."

The bit about shopping with goats is true too.

My son has a french birth certificate and his own british passport - he is also on his father's Irish passport.  I believe he can choose his nationality at 18 but the criteria is he must have spent time in France from the ages of 11 - 16 to qualify for true French nationality having anglo/irish parents. It will be up to him the only thing I can ask is that he supports England when it comes to the footy

With regard to parenting, the French have their ways and so do the Brits, just pick the best methods from both cultures and you are on a winner. How do you know how to do this? Go with your gut feel and instinct - a skill that comes apparent as soon as the new arrival pops out! 

A tip for your wife is to enjoy her stay in  hospital and 'profiter' from the help she will receive, ask loads of stupid questions and find out where the nearest puericultrice is etc - its good to know how to get your baby weighed regularly/a useful point of contact in those early days.

Bonne continuation.

Deby

My grandson was born here in France and now lives in the UK.  When we applied for a passport from Paris there was no problem but because the French birth certificate is just a piece of paper which looks like a computer print out - which it is - my daughter had a terrible job in the UK 'regulating' things.  Shame I wasn't there to sort out the pen pushers!

I believe he has to renounce French nationality before he is 18 in case he has to go into the army here.  But I could be wrong.

A french birth certificate is just what it looks like a scrap of paper that is only valid for three months, therefore, has little value. Your grandchild 's parents did need to get a british birth certificate from the embassy too. Hard to know what anyone would have made of the french scrap of paper. Can't blame anyone for not accepting it or even wondering what it is.

And if your grandchild doesn't have a french parent, then they would need to reside in France for five years between the age of 11 and 18 to have the right to french nationality. If the child then qualifies they will have the right to accept or refuse french nationality at around the age of 18.

What I am not sure on is whether she has to choose a nationality when she reaches 18 or whatever. Anyone out there any ideas?

From what I've understood, a child born with French and Britsh nationality doesn't have to chose and can continue to have the two as an adult.

I'm not too sure about what happens for national service. All French children are supposed to register at 16/17 and then do their journée du citoyen at 18, but since they are supposed to register in the commune de résidance, I don't know what happens for people who don't live in France. They probably have to register at the consulat. I can't really see the french state forcing someone back to france for one day. Of course, by the time your daughter is 18, all that will probably have changed.

Mistral it all boils down to a child qualifying to be french, that is ofcourse if neither parent is french then the child would have to have had the residential requirement to claim their being french, it is in no way automatic and simply being born here is not enough.

Then if a child qualifies to be french when they get to 18, then they are french, only they do have to prove that they are french. However, if they want to renounce being french, then they have to prove that they are french, then renounce being french.

They only have a limited amount of time after their 18th birthday if they wish to renounce being french, then they, are in some ways, automatically french, but they would still have to prove that they were.

The proof required to get a french ID card or passport or as was mentioned national service, I realise that that is very limited these days, but one never knows what the future will hold. Also as you said, a child could have qualified to be french ie been born here and had residence for the five required years between 11 and 18 and left the country at 16/17 years old. If they do nothing, then they are french and there could be consequences. At least one person has been arrested since I have been here for not registering for national service.......

Yes, you apply to the Consulate. We did ours straight away, so our scrap of paper's were still officially valid in France. If you need a new one of these bits of paper for the consulate then you have to apply to the Mairie where your baby's birth was registered and they will issue one that is à jour.

I'm afraid that the consulate birth certificates are not cheap.