Is there something I have missed ?

Mpprh

Hi

So reading all the news about Mr B and his yellow card, I understand he said :

"So, I knew I had broken a rib and wouldn't be able to play for the next 3 weeks. People won't think I'm this clever, but I deliberately got a yellow card so that I wouldn't have to play in the next match."

If he had a broken rib, he would have been ruled out anyway ?

So what have I missed ?

Peter

[quote]HiSo reading all the news about Mr B and his yellow card, I understand he said :"So, I knew I had broken a rib and wouldn't be able to play for the next 3 weeks. People won't think I'm this clever, bu...[/quote]

It's pretty fair to say our Mr B would not get very far in an IQ test but in this instance he was stating that if he recieved another yellow card to add to one he had picked up in a previous match, it would mean an automatic next game ban.

So what he was saying was, that because he knew he had a broken rib 'cos "he had one before so knew how it felt", he had best get booked and as he would not have been able to pay in the next game anyway due to the rib being broken, he ought to get booked, thereby receiving his second yellow card and getting the automatic ban. !! Thus allowing him to play inthe next game when he was fit !!

What let it all down, was the way the wally went and told everyone, he wasn't as stupid as everyone thought and proved it with his marvellous bit of quick thinking.......................think I'll take a raincheck on all that  

Chauffour,

Mr B is posh spice's other half, David Beckham but I like your quote best but changed slightly..........."who the hell does Mr B think he is?"

As one of the old war horses from the boys of '66 put it:

"I can't possibly imagine that kind of thing happening in our time," Sir Geoff Hurst, England's 1966 World Cup hat-trick hero said. "I come from a different planet when it comes to how I feel about that." and went on to say 

"I'm disappointed about it as an ex-professional but it can't be right, whenever it happened. In principle, it's not right. It saddens me, if Bobby (Moore) had done that under Sir Alfs (Ramsey) management, he would have automatically been stripped of the captaincy"

Peter, you have got me confused now, I am not aware he wants to "collect" yellow cards, except in this latest incident.

I agree with Mr Hurst completely, it's just a poor show when the England captain does something so cynical and then advertises the fact.

And if I had broken ribs I think I would think twice before I shoulder-charged some steaming great Welshman.

Whilst I was typing that Greavsie got on a horse!

Hi Miki

"Peter, you have got me confused now, I am not aware he wants to "collect" yellow cards, except in this latest incident.

Miki"

The only reason to have the 1 match ban while he had a broken rib was because he expected to get more yellow cards without another 1 match ban ?

If he didn't expect another yellow card, it was irrelevant ?

Call me a simple old country boy, but I had this naive belief that football had something to do with the winners scoring more goals than the other side.

Peter

Whilst I was typing that Greavsie got on a horse!

I did roar when I read that Dick, I was imagining you wondering where the hell Jimmy had gone !!

It's back to another man who most certainly should be knighted, it's a crusade Dick, first letter went off last week for Sir Jimmy, if I get a reply I will let you know.

Pete,

The reason he sought a yellow card was so he would get his ban against Azerbajan (sp) on Wednesday and by getting a yellow card to add to his other one collected earlier in another match meant an automatic ban on Wednesday, which was good for him as would not have been able to play due to his broken ribs anyway, leaving the way clear to play in the following match clever eh, I suspect Posh shouted the instructions out from the stands 

As you rightly say, why get a yellow anyway? Why not get no more yellows, full stop, no suspension then anyway ! 

When I read this yesterday I thought at first you were talking about M. Barthez because I had just seen him on the telly but not listened to what they were saying.  Obviously.  Football. 

Poor man I thought, he must have tripped up over his guide dog and injured himself.....

Ha! I am not alone in thinking Barthez, while capable of pulling off the odd amazing save, is a liability. I was soooo happy when he left MUFC.

As to the gentlemen heroes who won the world cup, weren't there a few real tough guys among them? Jack Charlton, Nobby Stiles and Alan Ball spring to mind (tiny, but tough, the last two).

Does Peter understand about Beckham now?

1966.  World Cup.  Just motoring down after a holiday in Scotland with the Aged Parents and my bother.  We had stopped to look at a salmon leap and it was there we heard the news.....

Which means nothing as REAL men (and women - me! me!) support RUGBY.

Which means nothing as REAL men (and women - me! me!) support RUGBY.

Tut Tut Alexis,

You shouldn't take Mr Beckham as a "normal male" player in the REAL soccer world. He jumps higher than a young gazelle in any challenge.

Not so sure how Dave Mackay, Norman (bite yer legs) Hunter, Chopper Harris or even the new "hollywood star", Vincent Jones (as Sam Hamman would fondly call him!) would make of your comments Alexis, I will forward your posting to them for comment  !!