Christmas holidays in France.

Bobdude

[quote]I'm sorry but why wouldn't it be a normal day, I really do not understand. Yes, everything will be open quite normally.[/quote]

T U

I think the question was asked because this year Christmas day is on a Saturday followed by Boxing day on Sun. so we get Mon. 27th and Tue. 28 as holidays in the U.K.

Gill

As long as it is not a weekend day, Dec 26th is a normal working day and upto the evening of the 31st Dec. HOWEVER, since the 35hour week came in, some businesses do shut for a week completely at xmas and open again after Jan1st so do check if you need someone/Something special as you may be disappointed to find them shut. As TU said, its tough if bank holidays fall on a weekend,you don't get days in lieu here.

TU, I'm reassured that you were confused too, I just can't hack these UK Christmas holidays either.  I made what I thought was a simple suggestion to a London-based friend that she joined us on mainland Europe on 26th December and all she could worry about was the possible non-availability of public transport to get her to Heathrow.  Forget cheap wine and sunshine, one of the best reasons for leaving the UK is that hideous, extended Christmas holiday.  Most people are ready to kill those around them by the end of.  Personally it gives me the willies just thinking about it.  M

[quote]TU, I'm reassured that you were confused too, I just can't hack these UK Christmas holidays either. I made what I thought was a simple suggestion to a London-based friend that she joined us on mainla...[/quote]

Sorry Margaret, the UK really is the only place for me to be at Xmas.

Britain may not be better than France at much but, as far as I am concerned, a nice few days down the pub, chatting round a cosy log fire, the Xmas tree, all the decorations, a few pints of proper beer, meet plenty of old friends, lots of banter and laughs, a few good pub and restaurant meals...............luvvly jubbly.  Oh ! and 2 days at Kempton Park puts the cream on the top

British Christmas, a right proper holiday break to help recharge the batteries during the winter, not just a gastronomic one night binge. I guess it is the one time we, as a family all want to get back to the UK. We have had too many dismal 12 hour Xmas's here without all the friends and family that we look forward to our sejour with friends and family.     

[quote]Sorry Margaret, the UK really is the only place for me to be at Xmas. Britain may not be better than France at much but, as far as I am concerned, a nice few days down the pub, chatting round a cosy ...[/quote]

Ah, I mean't to quote the last part of Miki's posting;

however, just to say that I'm with Miki on this U.K. Christmas holiday idea.

A four day break means that our grown-up children have time off work and can get home (from the North to the South) to celebrate Christmas and their birthdays. They may even get to see their ageing grandparents as well.

I am glad we don't have to pack it all into one day.

Gill

OK everyone but why have this long break at Christmas?  I've nothing against long public holidays, the more the merrier, but isn't the timing wrong at Christmas, why not mid summer?  And why not more as opposed to less (or no) public transport when half the country wants to visit friends and relatives and everyone fears the breathaliser?  And why those creepy terms such as "Christmas Monday"?  Why 3 months of being urged by advertisers to spend a fortune and suddenly everything's half price the next morning?  Surely only in Britain?

Keep it if you want to but please re-name it.  The Feast of Over Consumption & Too Much Television? 

M

Well M, I see it as a wonderful old tradition. The world moves on at pace and if we start mucking around with tradition (the very word and "being", that makes France so appealing, oui?) won't we be playing terrible mind games with people.

"Where's Christmas and it's wonderful family & friends get together gone then" Oh they done away with it for lack of support, sod that, back it or lose it I say

"OK everyone but why have this long break at Christmas?" 

Ah but then one could say, why not? Why muck around with a lovely old tradition? What next, Wmbledon in Tenerife to avoid possible rain but rain at Wimbledon is traditional and every decade or so, it gets so bad that Sir Cliff can entertain the crowds..tra la tra la la la "Congratulations," roll on the next deluge I say

We already have big breaks in mid summer M.

Transport bad at Xmas !! Try living here with 3 buses a day all year and often none at all on jours feriés plus a 3km hike to the bus stop. I have never heard of Xmas Monday, is that a new one?

Now the good bit, we miss all the hype of 3 months of advertisng and turn up when all that is over but you reminded me of why Tina gets all excited (ooh Matron !) The sales now start on Boxing Day (or as I am told, even before Xmas) so I go off to Kempton and she and her mates are off to the sales. When we meet later that night, it is those dreaded words I look out for "I hope you won because there were some great buys"..............gulp, if the nags have not gone well it can be gloomy but an hour or two in the local hostellerie, it's laughs and banter again. Real lovely...........

Then when we get back, a week later the sales begin in France and often better buys are to be had then. The French often appear to be buying for the next 5 years by the look of some of their trolleys !

Keep it if you want to but please re-name it.  The Feast of Over Consumption & Too Much Television? 

Just like France then but there they have to cram it in to 12 hourse, how sad but they will make up for it with more public hols in the year, which sadly are often not much use, especially if it falls on Saturdays, Sundays, Tuesday and Wednesdays. Vive la difference M