Forum help needed please - Users with ME and before

Russethouse

I have been fiddling about with XP on the laptop on which I could not see the Control Panel, although everything else seems to be working.

I just sent an email to someone about their posting and up popped this screen showing my emails sent and all the Control panel.

So although it still does not come up when I access the forum, if I just log in as normal and  then type profile.aspx after instantforum/ in the address bar I have access to everything.

Shouldn't have to do that but at least it works for me, try it.

Unfortunately Forum admin deleted my previous post in error, I had multiple posting of same message, James inadvertantly deleted first message as well as repeats.

I run this forum on two setups, at home I use Win 98 with IE 6.0 and Norton personal Firewall on a broadband connection. Initially I had problems seeing posters name, control panel, emoticons etc. After a degree of trial and error I believe I identified Norton Firewall as the issue. I have added Living France as a specified site in both of the following options and changed the settings as follows

In AD Blocking I have "permit all" and permit www.livingfrance.com/instantforum/ 2 green dots also appear.

In Privacy control I have Permit on all these settings - Information about browser, information about visited sites, animated immages, scripts, flash animation. These are all different to the default settings.

I am sure that you do not need all the settings at permit but I haven't had time to identify which is the critical setting.

With the above settings everything works as it should.

At work I use a laptop on a network with broadband access via a firewall. Laptop uses XP pro and it worked straight out of the box with no changes in settings required.

Hope this is of use

Paul

ps I'll try not to multiple post this time!!!!!

This is all fascinating stuff, but don't forget that people who use other operating systems have the same problem, so the logic is that there is something wrong which goes beyond Windows compatibility.

It doesn't occur on other fora, so it is sensible to assume that it is the implementation of MS software in this version.

Sainsbury's on-line shop had a similar problem a couple of years ago - they explained it as poor implementation of standard software.

[quote]This is all fascinating stuff, but don't forget that people who use other operating systems have the same problem, so the logic is that there is something wrong which goes beyond Windows compatibility...[/quote]

Dick,

Couldn't agree more. I really think that there is something fundamentally wrong either with the software or the way it has been implemented.

We should not have to fiddle about with Norton or any other firewalls or anti virus programmes for a forum like this one.

I have two systems, one a PC and one a laptop on broadband with built in firewall with my wireless network. I am not fiddling with my firewall for any forum!

I can access the bits I need now by typing in the addresses as below:

In the address bar after instantforum/ type in the relevant heading

ie: instantforum/profile.aspx for profile - /members.aspx for list of members - /customize.aspx for forum settings - /logon.aspx for home page 

So that's it now, not doing any more ferreting, I shall manage with what I 've got.

Why is this topic still pinned to the top of the board when nobody has shown any interest for the last two days.

Is there a chance that this site will end up like TF where there are so many posts pinned to the top that it takes a lot of searching to find the latest posts.

regards Colin

I don't know why it's at the top, all I know is that they asked for help.

By help, I'm not sure what they mean. Everything that others say is not there for them, is there for me, but it's so very slow. If it's a help to know the site is slow, with a brand new computer that isn't clogged up with nonsense, then that is what I have to tell whoever has the thankless - well, not entirely, because I will thank you - task of dealing with it.

OK, I have looked into this with the help of Ian, who I would like to thank.

It does appear that there are two problems that are having an effect on what users see:

1. Browser
2. Norton

1. The browser compatability is something that seems to effect users with Internet Explorer 6 or before and Mozilla family and the developers are working on improving this in the forthcoming versions.

2. There is a way round the Norton problem and the next update of the forum v.4 which should be out in a few months should not have the same problems, but the way round it is to do the following:

If you cannot get 'Control Panel', 'Recent Topics' on the top of the page when browsing the forums and are running Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall, or some similar Ad Blocking software then:

In "Norton" you need to remove the ?adv= string from the block list.  It is in a "Global Block List" in the case of Norton Internet Security, probably in different places in different versions or packages.  Then, you need to clear the cache used by your browser.  For Microsoft Internet Explorer, use the Tools, Internet Options … menu then on the General tab press the Delete files … button in the Temporary Internet files section and delete all offline content (to be on the safe side).

For Motzilla, on the Edit, Preferences … menu option, in the advanced section, cache option press the Clear Cache button.

Note that these changes may affect other software installed, may allow more ads through (i.e. fewer ads blocked) and disrupt offline content (which you will need to download).  As you are clearing your cache, then frequently visited web sites make take a bit longer to load next time you visit them (as everything needs to be re-loaded as it is no longer cached).

Alternatively use the following link (when logged in) to view your 'control panel' instead of tampering with Norton http://www.livingfrance.com/instantforum/profile.aspx.

As I say the next version of the software will hopefully address these issues as well as the quote option etc.

Hope this helps.

I have no problem finding the Control Panel, but the Forum Settings bit doesn't seem to work. I can't change font or get smilies. The slowness is the biggest problem for me. And the inability to post direct replies to other peoples posts unless you follow them on. Disjointed, having an unconnected reply 3 pages later - especially when people have been waffling on about nothing to do with the subject. I sometimes wonder if it is deliberate to prove the point that this forum no longer flow.

I can't see a control panel where I could do my profile ( I want one of these pictures under my name!!!) I also can't see the poster's name.

However with this new forum I do not have to disable the NORTON to send a reply which I had to do before.

I am running IE V. 6 on Windows XP

I have finally got this new forum up and running after a week of fiddling around.

I now have control panel, can see who is posting, have a picture by my name and can post.

So if you are running the above, follow the instructions for disabling scripts within Explore V6 and also for WYSIWYG and all should become crystal clear like it did for me a few minutes ago. I am now such a happy little bunny!!

Having just posted that I have managed to fix everything I now can change pages ie can read first page of posts under a certain subject but cannot go the previous posts.

Anyway know how to fix this.

As I can't now read any posts other than the first 5 on the first page would you please send me a private message if you have the time. Thanks. Fed up down under!

• 2 weeks later...
  1. The search facility, as Rita has pointed out tonight, is more of a liability than a facility. It chucks up all sorts of stuff, and you have to slog through it all to see if it is relevant. However, a blessing in disguise, ??? it never lets me get past the first 10 posts, sayiing there is an 'error on the page'.
  2. I can't find anywhere I can post my real name in my registration details - can anyone help with this. I don't particularly want my name on the internet, but I am aware that some users don't feel comfortable about responsing to 'anonymous' posters.
  3. The  intensly annoying 'time out' feature, for anyone wanting to respond to a post in detail. (Miki excepted, I salute you)
  4. I have been getting autoemails from james, updating me when there is a response to something I have posted in. I don't want them.
  5. Last but by no means least, the 'quote function' is a load of rubbish. There is no point having one if you cannot quote from at least one posters views, preferably more.

Thanks for the forum, LF, but is it possible to sort the problems out?

tresco

Hi Tresco.

The search facility, as Rita has pointed out tonight, is more of a liability than a facility. It chucks up all sorts of stuff, and you have to slog through it all to see if it is relevant. However, a blessing in disguise, ??? it never lets me get past the first 10 posts, sayiing there is an 'error on the page'.

You may have more luck if you do an advanced search http://www.livingfrance.com/instantforum/search.aspx?adv=1 to bring up more relevant info.
The problem with it not going past the first 10 posts is due to a script error and IT are working on a patch in .net to solve this, should be OK in the next couple of days or so.

I can't find anywhere I can post my real name in my registration details - can anyone help with this. I don't particularly want my name on the internet, but I am aware that some users don't feel comfortable about responsing to 'anonymous' posters.

Most forum software doesn't have a place to put name info, others have put it under their 'location' within http://www.livingfrance.com/instantforum/personal.aspx

The  intensly annoying 'time out' feature, for anyone wanting to respond to a post in detail. (Miki excepted, I salute you)

The timout has been increased to 40 minutes, IT will not increase this further for security reasons.

I have been getting autoemails from james, updating me when there is a response to something I have posted in. I don't want them.

Check to see if you are subscribed to topics here: http://www.livingfrance.com/instantforum/subscriptions.aspx and remove them.
If you have a new PM message an automated e-mail will be sent to inform you.

Last but by no means least, the 'quote function' is a load of rubbish. There is no point having one if you cannot quote from at least one posters views, preferably more.

I agree, I have contacted the forum suppliers and their new version should address this and allow you to edit the quote.