Meeting criteria to stay in France-confused.

Lakewitch

Hi, I am new to this so please forgive me if I am in the wrong place to ask this: My wife and I are about to sell up and move over to Limousin/Dordogne area. But we are really worried now that we may not be able to stay if we do not meet certain criteria.

One book we have (David Hampshire's) states that after 90 days we must apply for a residents permit. As my wife cannot work, we rely on her Disability benefit, and at present, my own incapacity benefit. We would be buying a house outright, with about 15000 euros to bank. As far as we can make out, she should receive her benefits in France as here. I hope to find some work (I am 55) to supplement this.

The book states that we must either have sufficient funds to manage financially on our own, or I must have a job inside 90 days. Obviously it would be catastrophic to fail after spending our money on a new home and be unable to stay. Can anyone shed any light on this at all, or suggest a way of finding out some specific information???

Sorry to dump such a lot on you all, but this forum seems to be our lifeline at present.

Many many thanks for reading this.....hope someone can help.

Frank.

Assuming that you are both EU citizens, then you are free to move to France and set up home, without any checks upon you. You do not need to apply for residency (as you already have the right). You should not even need to apply for a Carte de Sejour.

Your UK benefits should be payable in France, but you must check with the DSS in Newcastle - first. They are very helpful but not always up to date with the latest developments. A pension is definately payable in France.

The rules (in France) change fast & frequently. David Hampshires book will always be out-of-date, I'm afarid.

Bon chance!

The only trouble, to me, is your finances.  If you confirm your UK pensions/allowances will be payable here and you can live on them, all will be OK BUT don't bank on finding work over here.  If you can manage without this extra money you should be fine.

Always look on the black side....

I would imagine that it would be hard to find work. Looking for work over 40 is pretty hard here, never mind over 50 and 55 is considered a retirement age by many.

Also, the UK govt is talking about changing the disabled allowances. If you depend on this income then you had better contact the DWP about getting it when moving here.

Some very sensible replies have already been posted above. Do try to be practical. 

I would add to the answers above;

1) Think carefully about where you will buy.

Property in the Limousin is not that expensive and still one of the cheapest areas in France, large poperties and lots of land for a fraction of the price one would pay in many parts of the U.K. Take care not to isolate yourselves as a time may come when you are unable to drive to the shops, bank, doctor, hospital etc..

2) Last minute travel can cost a lot more than the cheap deal flights / crossings that are advertised.

If your budget is tight consider whether it would ever be necessary to rush back to the U.K. to help your family (if you have one) children, elderly parents. .

Do your research well and good luck if you decide to move to France.

Gill

We are moving to 24 in less than a months time and have a similar situation. I currently have Severe Disabiltiy Allowance which Newcastle agrees can be taken to France with me. Be aware, however, that although you may draw UK State Pension in France the Pension Credit Top-up does not apply.

Hope that helps and we wish you both all the best for your move

Bob & Jane

In an effort to be constructive and from my personal experience, for a couple you will need a minimum net income of 1200 euros to live a reasonably comfortable life in France.(£830) This amount takes into account all your necessary outgoings such as medical top up assurance,house and vehicle assurance, electricity, rates and heating either woodburning,gas or oil. What is left will provide for food, clothing and entertainment etc. Please do not think it possible to have any quality of life on much less. You may do it for a while but long term it will defeat you.

Good luck for your future in France which I must add is a great place to live.

I am new to this, so please excuse the naive questions, if as someone stated one does not need apply for residency or even a Carte de Sejour, is it still possible for my family (husband and three children) to run our day to day lives, or will we encounter certain situations whereby we will need proof of residency. Will it be possible for instance to join the French Health Service etc?

Current EDF, water or telephone bills all show that you live here.  For the first couple of months, it is also handy to carry your passport around with you.

For example, if you go to a shop and ask for credit, they need various papers and one of them is one of the above as proof of your address.

I have received Incapacity Benefit in France for 3 years now and when my husband had a heart attack last year I rang Newcastle to see if we could claim anything for him and they are now paying his NI contributions to ensure his pension and if he is still unable to work after 2 years, we don't know the answer to that one yet obviously, they will then pay Incapacity Benefit.