Chrysanthemums

Diana

A couple of weeks ago while in France I was tempted to buy a couple of pots of Chrysanthemums to take back to the UK.  I know all about french traditions but I still think they make a good display in late autumn and no one bats an eyelid in the UK.  They were good size pots ranging from 11 to 18 euros depending where you shop, but time being short and the car already groaning I decided not to.  I am now glad I did not as in the local UK garden center they had huge pots 60cms in diamet for £5.50, so I now have one either side of the front door.  This surprised be as I thought the shear volume of sales in France would keep the cost down.

Diana

I did this a couple of years ago.  Our elderly French neighbour had just come out of hospital for some kind of heart operation (can't remember now it was so long ago) so we took her round a pot of chrysanthiams and I wondered why she left them outside the front door.

She was quite amused though when we went round a few days later to apologise after finding out on this site what they were actually for.

I still buy them for myself though.

[quote]A couple of weeks ago while in France I was tempted to buy a couple of pots of Chrysanthemums to take back to the UK. I know all about french traditions but I still think they make a good display in...[/quote]

The prices will be cheaper as it is only Sept 22nd and they aren't needed until w/c 25th October to be in place before Toussaint. We had a nutty english man who used to live here until his house started to fall down round him. After every Toussaint he would go to the large dustbin for all the cemetary waste and take all the dying crysanths home and plant them in his garden. He had a wonderful display the following years but how he could take them after being on a gravestone made me shudder.

• 1 month later...

As quite newbies in absolutely everything, we're so lucky to have found this website.

We thought that all those chrysanthemums had to be for something very special and then Toussaint today which is still a mystery to us.

Our neighbours have asked us in for aperitifs this evening and we're struggling. Haven't quite bought the chrysanthemums to take in as a gift but from our still 'grasping for keywords' level of french, we gather that it's obviously a very sad day and also the first day of winter.

So is it All Saints as indicated by the word Toussaint or all souls or day of the dead or quite what? Been surfing like mad and can't find the truth of this (in English) so that we can fully understand and not shame ourselves - or upset our hosts this evening.

We're a little lost re November 11th too. What is the etiquette here? Should we be appearing at the memorial in our little hamlet? If so, what should we wear? We're a bit lost without our poppies.

Any useful links would be wonderful. Thank you.

Yours, desperately trying not to offend everyone in our totally french hamlet

John & Jennifer

Today is Toussant, All Saints day, 'tous Saint'.  Tomorrow is le fete de le Mort.  St. Défunts.

November 11th is the ceremony at le monument de la Mort.  Sadly, there won't be crowds there.  Well, here there isn't.

Who told you it was the first day of winter?  Still the 21st December.

[quote]Today is Toussant, All Saints day, 'tous Saint'. Tomorrow is le fete de le Mort. St. Défunts. November 11th is the ceremony at le monument de la Mort. Sadly, there won't be crowds there. Well, he...[/quote]

RE Who told you it was the first day of winter? Still the 21st December.

Yes, indeed and I've lost the original site where I saw it mentioned.

But

http://www.geocities.com/~huathe/festivals.html

and

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Heritage/FSCNS/Scots_NS/Clans/Henderson/General/Celtic_NY.html

show a little of it.

Sorry Manxie, I got cut off as had to go and help round up some escaped heifers.  Forgot about this until now.

I haven't looked at the sites yet but I did wonder this afternoon if you had been told 'c'est l'hiver'.  My OH starts this about the middle of August.  As well as 'je n'aime pas l'hiver'.  One day I will throttle him!  It just means that there has been a drop in the temperature.  Not that it is winter!  C'est pas chaud is another favourite!

Don't forget.  Two appero's is the law but don't outstay your welcome.  An hour maximum.  When they start to set the table around you....it is time to go!!

ps you will find that the more you drink the better your French becomes.  Strange.

Although there are millions (tens of) non-practising Catholics in France, I often wonder how non-RC new arrivals cope with the still strong emphasis on the liturgical year, it must be bewildering, as can be determined from this thread.  Most people, not just older church goers, continue to refer to dates by the associated religious feast, although admitedly today often in relation to the associated public holiday.  Personally, I've always felt it was a huge advantage being a Catholic in France for you automatically speak the same language and feel even more at home.   M 

Alexis, we escaped from the neighbours at 12.30am after being pressed to stay and join them for their evening meal. Wonderful evening - if long and heavy on the liquor. Great pride taken in the volume proof of their drinks!

Chatted about the Chrysanthemum thing and the potential social pitfalls for the British incomers, they laughed a lot about some of the tales.

So Chrysanthemums, All Saints, All Souls and Remembrance Day in France now a little clearer.

Every day, in every way ...

All this information was super. Thank you