can't live without it................

Evianers

Yesterday was not only a typical Monday, but OH had to take this infernal machine back to the office for a necessary up-grade of programmes, fire-walls, anti-spam devices etc. etc. Boy did I miss it. Normally after rushing around doing the housework, log on and view all the interesting posts. Mooched around yesterday with almost withdrawal symptoms. Whatever did we do before computers? Hope this doesn't happen too often, all this up-grade stuff!

Upgrades???????? What the ***%$£*^ are upgrades?

Here's my last week:

Monday: computer refuses once again to do anything when I switch on. I'm reliably informed that it needs a new power supply. This is done at a cost of £20 fitted.

Tuesday: stupid thing refuses to boot up WHATSOEVER. I take it back to shop, who have it for half a day before reliably informing me it needs a new DVDROM drive. This is done at a cost of £30

Wednesday: blasted thing refuses to log onto the internet. Spend 30 minutes on hold before NTL try to help. Eventually it displays an error message (1068, DHCS file not found???????), and NTL give up, advising that I contact the shop again.

Wednesday night: shop try for 40 minutes on phone to get it to play nicely, without success.

Thursday: it goes in. They play all day, no deal.

Friday: they contact me late on and tell me it needs a full wipe and clean install, another £20 and all files will be lost. I had backed up some stuff, but they've scanned it and it has the virus that has caused all the problems!

Yesterday: got it back. Spent ages re-loading programmes and making the stupid thing speak English instead of American!

So I now have a clean computer with hardly any programmes available, no photoshop etc and it's cost me £70 in a week

And we WERE just about to pass it to our youngest, have a new one, and invest in wireless networking for broadband

Alcazar

Deepest sympathies, Alcazar.

Spent lots of hours on Sunday trying to make my pc print Outlook Addresses as lables. I gave it up as a bad job this time last year but came out the winner this time. As Evianers says, the things are time-savers in theory. Not in my case they're not. However, even being told by hergoodself that 'it would have been quicker to write them by hand' didn't remove the smile from my face!

Hope your anti-virus software keeps you safe from further harm.

Anyone any ideas as to how much all alcazars problems would have cost to get sorted out in France?

We have depended on friend's goodwill until recently,as I dreaded the expense of even taking our puter to someone to help sort it out. Around here it can cost as much as £60 not euros just to look at it. Which will be deducted if they do the necessary work.