Deforestation?

zeb

Well, not quite on the same scale as what McDo's have done to the rain forests, but still a little worrying.

We have been here for three winters now and each December a large chunk of local woodland is sawn down and left at the roadside to season. Some of the woodland is well managed and coppiced but an increasing amount, most recently my favourite local wood, has completely disappeared.

We need it and most of you and your French neighbours need the logs to keep warm not to mention the fabrication of those gigantic oak tables for sale everywhere! But, arart from those very artistic poplar plantations, there doesn't seem to be any sign of replanting for future generations of Godin users.

Now my question is, is there any legislation requiring the sustainability of woodland in France? It seems to me that many of the locals own some woodland and use it as an annual income until the wood runs out. Then I suppose they plant crops on it to sustain an income but, at this rate, will France eventually run out of wood?

regards.......helen

There is a large need for wood in france to fuel fires in many rural homes and a large industry has grow round that need,I would hope because wood is renewable it would remain a good source of winter heating providing they keep replanting the trees,it is in their own interest to do so,like you I hope they do.

I believe the situation is that people apply for licences to cut the forest from, ultimately, the Department de Foret who are part of what could be best described as the environment agency. Once the trees have been felled they will come and remove the stumps, allow the ground to settle then replant. This can take one to two years as the equipment for removing the stumps are large and expensive and each area probably only has one or two.

The French 'farm' wood and have been doing so for years and they are considered experts in this field often visiting other countries to give advice, Scotland being one of them, Canada another.

Of course this does not help the visible effect of having a large chunk of forest removed especially if you had previously enjoyed walking through it, mind you there are large areas of forest in the UK which are fenced off with no access, not even to walkers so I guess we are lucky to be able to walk in the forest in France.

[quote]An interesting fact about France (not many people know this) is that there is more forest now than there was in the Middle Ages. This was due to shortages of suitable timber for building, charcoal etc...[/quote]

...and the extent of broadleaf woodland in France is increasing at a rate of 8% per year. This is part of a general trend across Europe (witness the National Forest project in the UK, for example). The problem with woodland management is that it is seldom obvious what exactly is going on, largely because the managers are thinking in terms of 50-100 years and for most of us "long term" means about 5 years.

...and the extent of broadleaf woodland in France is increasing at a rate of 8% per year.

Excellent news!!  Does this mean the price of firewood will come down?? 

I suspect not.  Our recent wood-search showed that it's already dearer than when we arrived.   196 euros for 2 stères and delivery.   Wouldn't mind so much if they stacked it too!