Detox....

Jan 1st 2005, about 9.00am.

“Jon?”

“Yes Jon?”

“I think that you should know that we are looking a bit worse for wear.”

“What on Earth do I/you/we mean?”

“You think that we know...I’m talking about our diet over the past couple of weeks – it’s been at least 50% saturated fats. Cheese, chocolate – you can’t imagine why they went out and bought foie gras for the ‘do’ last night when they could have cut me open and had our liver. And as for the alcohol....”

“Oh come on! You’ve only had a drop!”

“Jon, people have had less of a drop after falling off Beachy Head. And face facts: urine should not be THAT colour!”

“OK, OK, we’ll do a detox for a couple of weeks, drink lots of Vichy water, raw veg, the lot. Now can I leave us in peace? Only the grammar is starting to get you down.”

Eight days into this and I feel like crap. Maybe I’m not doing it right – I seem to have had a hangover for a week. Knowing a fair bit about metabolic biochemistry I’ve always regarded this detox lark as being little more than snake oil, but given how bad I’m feeling there just has to be something in it.

Anyone know what the qualifications are for being packed off to the spa for a cure? I think I could rather take to a few days wandering around an agreeable spa town with a glass in a little wicker basket....

I suspect that if you went to the doctors you would be diagnosed as having a crise de foie.........

This maladie  apparently only affects people in France, when they have enjoyed the excesses of life.

I don't think that I have ever had it, so don't know what to suggest. Friends usually lay off the rich stuff and feel better after a few days.

You aren't coming down with La Grippe are you?

Which ever, I think that if you aren't feeling any better after the weekend a trip to the toubib is in order.

Mrs O here, of the cast iron constitution.  Well I was up until last night,stuffed all the necessary goodies down my throat over the holidays ,quaffed various good and not so good wines in vast quantities(no spirits though) and not a hangover or upset stomach to be heard!

Last night was our new year bash at the Marie, I think I must have done my head against a brick(or would it be stone )wall!. Only had three drinks a plastic cup full of Byrrh(sp) Aperitif speciality of south of france similar to port mmmm yummy, and a couple of cupfuls of fizzy to wash down the pizza,  quiches,cheese pastry, nuts,  crisps,cheese, milles fuilles mini eclairs and gallette de Roi, UUH writing all that down is churning my stomachbut I didn`t just have one of each, well you cant ,can you?

Never again....well maybe my stomachs rumbling `cos It needs some food,enchiladas for supper

[quote]jond, if you really are detoxing I think you really do feel worse before you feel better, but then, after a few more days you will feel great.!![/quote]

I confess that I am feeling better this morning, though this may not be unrelated to my having recommenced coffee drinking... I may stay off the sauce for a bit longer though as not drinking alcohol has dramatically reduced the amount of petrol we use on trips to the bottle bank.