For The Pot!

Jec

With apologies to any vegetarians that may read this topic - Could anyone please let me know the procedure for dispatching chickens, i.e should they be hung and if so for how long?  Should they be plucked and/or drawn before hanging?  We have two old girls who have now gone well beyond the laying stage, so recipes could also be useful!

Many thanks

Julie

There are any number of variations on this theme, but my prefered approach is as follows:

1) Hold the hen upside down by her feet with her beak toward you;

2) Take her neck between your middle and ring fingers with her beak cupped in the palm of your hand;

3) In one smooth motion, twist her head away from you while pulling up with your other hand, so breaking her neck - you should feel it go. Do not underdo the strength of the pull.

If you haven't done this before then try and get someone with experience to show you if at all possible.

I would would pluck and draw ASAP - dip the bird (once dead!) in scalding water for about 30 seconds to make the feathers easier to remove. For the older birds, I find hanging for 24 hours after plucking does help the flesh relax, but in any case you would be looking to boil or pot roast anything over about 7 months old. Poule au pot is a good way of dealing with the birds.

Good luck.

Jond,s way is fine,no critisism,but having done that "mode"it,s better with two pair of hands and an axe,quicker and cleaner,be careful how hot you make the water about 60c is fine,still hot though.After plucking depending on what you want to do with the bird,I would skin it joint it and make a chicken curry,lots of chilly or long and slow in a casserole dish with red wine like a coq au vin.

I prefer to pluck them dry which takes slightly longer if they have died peacefully and painlessly, a lot longer otherwise. It is then safe to hang them, I hang them for 3-5 days at this time of the year, less when it is warmer. It is inadvisable to hang birds that have been dipped in boiling water or after they have been gutted or if they have any cuts or wounds through which infection can enter.

The first sign of a bird going off is greening round the vent, it is still safe at this point but should be dealt with immediately- if on the other hand there is damage elsewhere that point will almost certainly be the first to go off.

I use JonD's method on young birds - note that the head should be dislocated rather than the neck itself broken - the dislocation provides a gap for the blood to drain into and death is instantaneous.

I would advise looking at the late John Seymour's Self-Sufficiency if you aren't familiar with the method; he showed me but I didn't really learn anything from watching, I could have sworn he barely touched the back of the head... and suddenly the inert body started flapping madly, rather the opposite of what I expected.

With old birds I use the method usually recommended in the UK for large birds (ducks, geese, turkeys) of laying a bar over the back of their heads, standing on it and pulling both legs, again to break the neck. It sounds clumsy but I find it very easy and efficient and appreciate the chance to make sure that the bird relaxes happily before you pull.

I have seen Outcast's method and don't know what's better about it? I'm puzzled by the suggestion that it is clean, it struck me as very messy; but it too is perfectly humane.

I too usually cook old hens along the line of poule au pot.

Pucette,the first time I saw broom handle over the neck was how to say ..an experience the head came off and the person killing the bird dropped the bird and it ran around without it,s head some distance,thats why I say two people,one with the axe.

thank you, lol, I see what you mean, certainly if you're going to pull the head off you might as well chop it off...

We use a sort of funnel which you attach to a wall. Hold the bird by the feet and put it into the funnel head down. Then pull down the head and cut the neck. This can be done quickly,  which reduces stress ( in the bird and the human.) Pat.

Jec - first of all, approximately whereabouts are you? There may be an experienced LF chicken killer in your area who could call in and demonstrate.

Secondly, do not be surprised if the bird does continue to flap wings or it's legs continue to pump. Providing the neck is broken (or the head has been removed!) this is a reflex action and does not indicate either continued life or pain.

Finally, give some thought as to how you're going to get hold of the birds before doing the deed. Stressing birds by chasing them around a pen isn't a recommended preliminary for either the birds or the dispatcher. There may be a calmer, gentler option!

Good luck.

If I still had chickens I would use Pucette's methods of killing them. The hens in question are what my mother would have called bowling fowl.

I ate some in a restaurant near Sarlat this summer which claims a cuisine "like your Grandmother's". Gently poached with salsify - lovely. I don't have a recipe though.

Hoddy

we found the best way was to chop off the head with an axe or similar - at least you know that it's definitely dead then when it continues to flap about! Seeing a headless chicken running in circles, with the head still on the block - the beak opening and shutting and the eyes looking round, takes quite a strong stomach

Don't put it straight in the pot and expect anything but leather to eat though - especially with an older bird. I think the idea is to wait until rigor mortis has worn off at least, so getting rid of the evidence before the kids see it is out

"boiling fowl" is what my parents called it - pack the pot with whole carrots, onions, garlic and herbs and cover with water then simmer for a long time, then use the stock to make white sauce to go with it (half and half with milk). Yummy!

PatF, killing a bird by slitting its throat is inhumane unless it has been stunned first and inflicts totally unnecessary suffering (unlike cutting its head off which is perfectly humane).

Hoverfrog, if the head is dislocated from the neck then it's just as dead as if it's been cut off; I prefer mine to flap hanging upside down by their feet, time for a quick coffee or to feed the survivors before plucking.

Alexis has a very valid point about choosing a quiet moment where possible; I pick them up just a little earlier in the morning than I would usually let them out.

Regular handling of the birds throughout their lives ensures that their last moments are not traumatic and one of the strong points of both Buff Orpingtons and Silkies is their docile nature, I can almost always pick the birds up peacefully no matter what the circumstances.

With many thanks for your suggestions, I ought to explain that the immediate dispatch of the chicken isn't the problem.  We dispatched our first******rel about a month ago.  We drew it and plucked it immediately and then put it in the freezer.  I eventually cooked it in the slow cooker with red wine and vegetables and it was horrible!   I know the bird was over twelve months old and so therefore required a long cooking time, but I don't want to kill another bird if we can't eat it afterwards.  I was wondering if it was because we hadn't hung it to allow the blood to drain.

Any suggestions?

Julie  

I imagine plucked then drew?!

It should hung by the feet from death until the end of plucking so that the blood drains out of the meat.

Pluck immediately after it has finished flapping.

As I say above I prefer the meat hung for three days at this time of the year and for least 24 hours in any case but if you have dipped in boiling water or cut its head off or otherwise damaged the skin it is advisable to draw it and eat or freeze it immediately.

Your******rel was not old; traditionally it took a year to raise a chicken for table. An old******suitable for coq au vin is ten years or more old.

You might do better to try a more traditional method of cooking, I see from the above that poule au pot is favourite with a few of us and suggest you follow any old recipe you can find for that.

Jec,maybe it was the slow cooker,we had one used it a couple of times and give it to Mrs Outcasts sister (thought it was great)they do not get hot enough,the way I would do it would be to fry the bird first skinned or un skinned until the outsides are brown take it out add the garlic smoked bacon onions fry them put the pieces back in the pot add the wine bring to the boil 4/5 mins some water to cover and cook on a low heat until the meat is dropping off the bone.

Julie - I am pleased to offer my recipie for "West African Meat Curry." This will deal with pretty much any meat, no matter how unpromising it might first appear. It has been used to render palitable a Mauritian billy goat of insanitary habits that dropped dead of old age. I still sometimes wake in the wee hours in a cold sweat at the memory of how that smelt before cooking. Do not be put off by the somewhat unusual combination of ingredients - this does work: (For four)

1 kg any old meat (about 1.25 kg of chicken portions)

Oil

250g peanut butter (smooth or crunchy - it matters not)

1 tbs cumin

1 tbs turmeric

1 tbs ground coriander

1 tbs ground ginger

1 tbs harrisa or other hot chilli paste

1 tin (420g) sliced peaches in juice

1 tin (420g) pinapple chunks in juice

1 chicken stock cube

1 tin (200g) creamed******onut

1 tsb lime pickle

1 litre water

Handful of salted peanuts

2 bananas

Heat the oil in a casserole, add the meat and brown well (if you are cooking senile, incontinent goat, open a window first).

Add the peanut butter and spices and stir to coat.

Add all the other ingredients except the nuts and bananas and bring to the boil.

Boil for ten minutes to ensure the the meat is really dead, then cover and place in a slow oven (gas mark 1) for 2-3 hours until tender. Check periodically to see that it is not drying out and add more water if needed.

Serve with rice and the nuts plus sliced bananas sprinkled over the top.

What a bunch of murderers!  When my Girls stop laying they are officially retired after long and devoted service.

This year however, we are more organised and are hoping for chicks and if so, I am going into 'poularde' mode.  We were given one at Christmas and it was wonderfull.

It is not that I won't eat the birds, it is OH.  We will just not give this lot names........

When I did a little turkey plucking at Christmas, the birds could hang for up to ten days.  It would take us that long to kill and pluck them all from the first to the last.

I dry pluck too.  Using hot water changes the texture.  You just have to remember to pluck the difficult feathers first - along the wings for example.  Then I start at the feet and work my way down.  The bird being hung by it's feet.

Sorry to go back to the beginning on this topic, but some of you lot seem pretty knowledgable and I'd like your opinion. We had a c****erel that we'd had since a chick - magnificent bird, loved looking at him and hearing him crow, but he started attacking my small children so had to go. Neighbour agreed to kill him for us. I expected an instantaneous death but it was awful. They hung him upside down from a tree then made a slit in his throat. He hung there, slowly bleeding to death, for about 20 minutes. He went still for a while and they took him down, but when plunged into the hot water it was obvious he was still alive - eyes open and flapping. So hung up again. Just hung there gasping.

I'm not a sentimental townie (long experience with horses) but I really hated to see this. I asked why they couldn't just break the neck instantaneously but was told that the bird must be alive while it bleeds to death otherwise the meat will be inedible. Is this correct? Or could you kill a c****erel instantaneously and then bleed it??

Jo

It's absolute rubbish.

You can kill the bird by any of the methods mentioned above and still bleed it but it is awkward as the bird flaps vigourously as soon as its neck is broken and would need to be bled immediately.

If you chop the head off it will bleed anyway.

It is unnecessary to bleed the bird if the neck is dislocated as the blood collects in the cavity created between the head and neck, draining the meat of blood. However it may be preferable if you cook the bird with the head on which is standard practice here; the brains are apparently a delicate morsel.

Another option is to stun the bird before bleeding it to death; this can be done with a blow or electrically.

The main reason for hanging any kind of meat is to allow enzymatic tenderising to take place, not just to get rid of the blood. There's very little blood in birds anyway. I looked this up on Google but have lost the reference. I found this "enzymatic tenderising takes place when meat is hung.Enzymes and lactic acid present slowly break down the long muscle fibres, making the meat more tender." So with an elderly cockerel the longer it's hung the better and the more tender the meat will be. Pat.