A Dream Home Abroad - in Barcelona

Iceni

Well what do you expect from people working in this profession and the exhorbitant fees they charge. I think it was obscene to have people with that sort of money to spend purely on a holiday home and making a programme out of it,as it does not reflect the normal viewing population and their spending powers. Bring back the down to earth person looking to renovate or buy something realistic and not these yuppies who give the brits abroad a bad name by pushing up property prices. Talking of which, last weekend's Telegramme was how the british have pushed up the prices in Central Brittany and the Parisiennes and Dutch around the larger towns and cities here thus forcing the locals out of the property market because salaries here are very low in comparison and causing a lot of ill-feeling.

[quote]Well what do you expect from people working in this profession and the exhorbitant fees they charge. I think it was obscene to have people with that sort of money to spend purely on a holiday home and...[/quote]

What rubbish. What do you think should be the max cost of a holiday home then? There ARE a lot of people who can spend this kind of money on a second home and it does not effect the local market at all. The people who buy run down dumps to do up, are the people who have the biggest effect on pushing up prices in the local market and pushing locals out.

I don't think they did have the money. They had some money but not that much ; they were borrowing it - or so they show said. It may have been inaccurate. But I rather got the impression that the money was all borrowed, so they have a really nice house, which is owned by the bank.

It was an incredible piece of family dynamics. The woman spent the money, and basically said to the bloke "I can't do the finance.... " (you sort it out).

I was hugely impressed by the bloke ; how he managed NOT to murder his wife I don't know.

The Psychic and the Feng Shui drivel, oh I've just spent another £2,500 on a packet of Opal Fruits and so on. I'm fairly easy going, but after about 10 minutes DW said to me "you'd go through the roof if I did that" - and it got worse.

[quote]I don't think they did have the money. They had some money but not that much ; they were borrowing it - or so they show said. It may have been inaccurate. But I rather got the impression that the mone...[/quote]

AA,

I think you are on about another show !! both being around Barcelona though. The holiday home in Barcelona was a bit steep but some solicitors or Barristers are robbing b-----s to say the least, so I wonder what poor sods helped them to pay for that rather expensive flat.

As far as the one you talk about in the hills outside Barcelona AA, they will be a long time paying the bank off won't they ? and I wonder if the stress will start to kick in now the TV cameras have left and no doubt the reality of the debt has to kick in sometime surely ?

I liked her quote when asked how much it would be worth (remembering that most of it was still an artists impression) and she said that the estate agent from Sitges had said "priceless and couldn't be priced" (or similar !) couldn't have put it better but when it is finally finished, well possibly worth bundles perhaps but that's a way off yet. He had lent heavily and was now banking on a grant................

>>>The people who buy run down dumps to do up, are the people who have the biggest effect on pushing up prices in the local market and pushing locals out.<<<

But in many cases those dumps have been like it for years and no local has taken a blind bit of notice - of course as soon as it is renovated 'they are influencing the local market'

Yeah - right !