new neighbours

opas

We have new neighbours . It is their holiday home. They arrived on Wednesday evening to start decorating. I asked her when Half term starts in Uk. Monday 14th came the response. So being nosey , asked her how she managed to get off early........2 teacher training days !!!!! Mrs O

Before Outcast falls out of his pram in rage I should explain that in a lot of schools 'training days' can be effectively turned into extra holidays if staff undertake their 'training' in an equivalent number of evening sessions during term time.

And before he gets even more apoplectic it is an arrangement brought in by a Conservative government, who took the 5 annual training days out of the school holidays (ie kids get the same, teachers get less) - oh and before he starts on the length of holidays the same government carefully explained to us that we weren't badly paid, just paid for the school weeks spread over the whole year, so in theory not paid for holidays.

So, sneering averted then?

So if you had things your way are we to assume that you'd:

1. Pay teachers less.

2. Make them work longer hours.

3. Reduce their holidays.

Great recruitment drive, Outcast. I'm sure this would go a long way to improving standards in education!! I await the question: Why do you need so many holidays???

No 3.Can not see why all the world would need a subsidised education ie cleaners needing a phd not that cleaners are in any way less than grads,what is the old saying,grads are two a penny buy good cleaners are hard to find.Cjd you being a .....When I lived in north africa used to speak with the well educated locals and they told me that there were so many over educated people out of work but no one to do the traditional work,the value of an education.Maybe all the teachers in the the UK could spend their teacher training days working in the fields,oh no on second thoughts they would go back moaning how hard life is for the working class while buying all the produce.

[quote]No 3.Can not see why all the world would need a subsidised education ie cleaners needing a phd not that cleaners are in any way less than grads,what is the old saying,grads are two a penny buy good cl...[/quote]

esp for you Outcast,

"Everybody who is incapable of learning has taken to teaching-that is really what our enthusiasm for education has come to."

The Decay of Lying. O.W.