Is Camilla Up The Duff?

I agree with TU I think that the Queen has done a well according to her definition of the job. Having said that I think that the instution has run out of steam, but I can't think that a republic would be so very much better. I've tried and tried and can't think of a president I admire or who I don't think was corrupt in one way or another.

I think that the arguments about the nationality of the royal family's antecedents are irrelevant really, but in the interests of accuracy -

Queen Victoria was Harry and William’s fives times great grandmother. They therefore have 47 other great - grandmothers in the same generation as Victoria. Victoria’s claim to throne was through George 1st who was descended from James 1 of England and 6th of Scotland. James was descended from Henry VIIth of England and James IV of Scotland so he was quite British really.

I always thought that Diana was chosen because she was the only 18 year old member of the aristocracy who was still a virgin ! In terms of antecedents, however, she was much more English than her husband.

Hoddy

The idea that my sons who are exactly the same age of the princes actually discussing such a thing as what they would wear and one telling the other not to do something, just would not happen.

I can't think of one president that has impressed me, so personally I would rather have something I know.

What ever we may think about Camilla, she at least has had the grace and good sense to keep her own counsel, and the provocation to do otherwise must have been very great at times.

Diana was no great beauty when she became engaged, but rightly took advantage of the opportunities open to her and was able to make the most of herself. She had been brought up around the Royal Family so must have had some idea of their ways.

I don't think William is stupid, and frankly he doesn't need to be particularly academic for what lies ahead, if he can be well behaved and take an interest in people, isn't that really all that is required.

For all he is critised about his love life, Prince Charles has founded the Princes Trust, has the Dutchy of Cornwall range of products and Poundbury (where John Prescott went yesterday to see if he could pick up a few tips )Of course he hunts which is a negative as far as I am concerned,(and having someone else put the toothepaste on his brush is not an attractive trait AFAIAC ) but at least he has stuck to his principals (no pun intended) and that is more than I can say for some of our elected representitives.

.......he has stuck to his principals

Nearly choked on me first pastis of the day then Gay. Principals and Charlie boy are not the words I would put together and as I said before, give me 12 million bigguns a year and tons of spin offs and I would have more do good trusts out there, than Chelsea have players !!

Surely you do not think that old Charles actually soils his pure white handies in such matters !

[quote]You are such a rude lot! Do you know how many countries envy the British their Monarchy? And do you think so many visitors would go to London and bring in very welcome revenue? And what would we do w...[/quote]

Without the Royal family and their trappings, there would be no good reason to go to the UK. Well. except for:

The marvelous food.

Football louts

Binge drinking

Low taxes

Excellent low prices

Accents even they can't understand

Courteous road-ragers

and the list goes on . . . .

"Anyway, queen or princes consort, she'll still be put up against a wall with all the other royal parasites when the revolution comes!"

Ugh, nasty person! Suppose you'd prefer a nice little republic with a lovely Chirac or Bush-style president as head of state ... hardly an improvement, IMHO!