Vive Le President

Having watched the debate between the young folk, and JC on TF1 last night it was interesting to hear some of his throwaway defences of the new European Constitution.

When asked if the constitution would improve the chances of young people getting jobs, (he accepted under 25 unemployment was currently around 25%), perhaps reducing unemployment to UK levels, he said that would involve introducing social practices that were unacceptable to the French people.

Another reason to vote yes was to ensure a strong French veto on any changes which would cut subsidies to French agriculture, (CAP reform).

France would also veto the  Bolkenstein Directive if it meant that French employment practices would be undermined by companies based outside of France.

Nothing new there then, but it did last 2.5 hours of Prime Time TV.........

Not surprised JC was prepared to spend 2.5 hrs on TV promoting his cause, the opinion polls would suggest he needs to do something to secure a yes vote.  What are people hearing from their friends and neighbours?  Most of my French friends are vehemently opposed.  M

** When asked if the constitution would improve the chances of young people getting jobs, (he accepted under 25 unemployment was currently around 25%), perhaps reducing unemployment to UK levels, he said that would involve introducing social practices that were unacceptable to the French people. **

specifically: ** (he accepted under 25 unemployment was currently around 25%) **

Is that really accurate??? Obviously it must be. And French people don't want social practices that would alleviate a statistic that dire? I knew from various sources that unemployment in France was high but I've never seen it segmented into age groups. I've never seen it broken down in the UK either so maybe the levels are comparable. Somehow, I don't think so.

My other thought is: British parents bringing their children to France with the expectation that one day those kids will enter the labour market... good luck.

What are people hearing from their friends and neighbours?  Most of my French friends are vehemently opposed.  M

Most around me seem to be NOers too, and so is Le Pen.  One neighbour found a study of the Constitution on the internet, must get it from her, apparently the most common word is... no, can't remember ...... bank or finance, something like that.   This has convinced her that it's all about money, but rich people's money, not our money!

The other thing was the use of expressions like "you have the right to the means to find work" and "you have the right to the means to health care".   They understand this as being fundamentally different from "you have the right to have work and healthcare".

Well, something along those lines, anyway!   We were indulging in home-grown duck at the time, among other goodies, and I was trying to make sure I didn't miss out on the whole roast garlic.

catalpa - when facts like these are posted on the forum (usually by Miki, TU or Val2) they are usually accompanied by disbelief and accusations of doom mongering.

Your comment about parents bringing children to France etc is correct too. Yes, in some locations children may have the idyllic life some dream of for their children, but those children have to grow up and find work. Being bi lingual will not be enough either in France or increasingly in England.

Its a big decision.

but those children have to grow up and find work

Too true, Gay.  And the same children also have to survive the French education system before they get there.  Having read and posted on what a struggle it is for most French children, I can't begin to imagine the challenges for British kids.  I wonder how many do pass their bac?   M 

[quote]but those children have to grow up and find work Too true, Gay. And the same children also have to survive the French education system before they get there. Having read and posted on what a strug...[/quote]

They not only have to pass the Bac, which to be honest on its own, it is not much good for seeking work with but, they must go on to gain Bac plus 2 at least to enable them to have a good chance of finding any work at all.

We were rather disheartened yesterday that daughter failed to pass through the first year of her International Commerce course. She failed by a measly half point but our feelings are that she perhaps learned to party too well this year !! She is a little upset but at the end of the day, redoubling is not a sin and as long as she accepts that this course is not as easy as she thought and to pass through each year, she will have to study properly, she will be OK.

The strange thing is, she still has to go abroad for approx 9 weeks (starting in May) to study commerce in a different country, write up about it all, study their import, export laws, financial accountancy etc etc knowing now that it will not count next year but the following year, which of course would have been her last year had she passed. The "stage" has to be done at some point and as it is too late to cancel all the many arrangements that have already been made, any students redoubling carry on and the "stage" is carried through to the 2nd year qualification as normal.

She will now have to do this same "stage" next year but in France (some of the "richer" families will often send their child off to exotic climes again the 2nd year, even though there is no obligation to do so, as they would have already done this part.

I often look at her work and here, I have to be honest, if it was in Russian it would be no more difficult for me ! Oh well another year to add on for at getting up at 06h00 for the bus.

As far as how many British kids pass the Bac itself, well we know 5 out of dozens of kids we have known or know of and that includes Val's daughter. Many though, take a BTS pro course for working in other trades, just as useful in this era of a shortage of skilled workers.

Gay, the amount of kids out of work is even higher out of the summer season and our son simply gave up thec continual search and went back to the UK to work.

He also occurred some racism here but only by a pathetic minority and mainly because his good friend was a muslim. Issam (his friend) even had to put his Mothers surname (French) on job applications because if he put his Fathers name on the form he didn't even get an interview whereas with his Mothers name he was at least granted that much.

There is so much that many British people do not see about life in France, that it is good for me to hear a few members telling it as it is. I sometimes wondered if were alone in bashing our heads against the thick walls here ! Those that say "come on in the waters great" do not have to pick up the pieces for all those that will inevitably fail. So at least by saying it as people have found it to be, it gives the other side of the coin to those who really would like to know about it, warts and all.

For some, of course it will be OK. Many of us are still here but in my opinion, for the most part it will be the retired, the semi retired, ones with no money worries, no kids here, no dealings with business, no worries about all the cotisations and no need to talk with the beaurocratic bodies,etc etc who have the best chance of staying the course.

We can but wish them all good luck, for that is often the thing we all need to get by with in the early years but please don't think that the education is one of the best criteria for bringing kids here, it is as much a hindrance as it can be a forté. I will not listen to people who say it is for the kids future, as it stands now, they will struggle to have on