Online TEFL courses

We have been here in France for two years now, kids are settled in school and I have just completed a French course FLE3.  I have been asked by several people about teaching english to children and I know this can be done as a native speaker without a qualification but I would like to have some degree of training, it is not possible for me to attend a residential so I am looking at the Online Tefl course.   Has anyone any experience of this course they could share with my?

Lorraine

I started doing one when I was in the UK which was pretty good but I ran out of time and never completed it (even though they gave me several extensions).  It was at that time that we made the unexpected decision to move to France so although that should have motivated me even more, events overtook me and I never had enough hours in a day to finish.  It was a company called "One to one" but I can't remember their email address.  I'm sure if you do a search for online TEFL courses and also type in one to one (or 1 to 1) it should come up.

Just looked via a web search for Coco's recommendation - the address is www.teflcourses.com and they cost £195 for an online course. Very good value I think - I've been looking into doing a TEFL course for a little while (put on back burner for other reasons) but this one sounds good. Not looked into the actual qualifications they give you, but worth a look. Thanks Coco, got me inspired again!

Ewa

27 & Devon

I think that the question has been asked before on here so it may be worth your while trawling through old threads. Basically, there are only two internationally recognised TEFL qualifications, CELTA and Trinity, neither of which are offered on line, and both of which cost considerably more than the online courses. The obvious shortcoming of any online course is how you get any sort of teaching practise? No offence implied or intended, but I wouldn't necessarily want my house redecorated or rewired or my car serviced by someone who'd learned how to do it online. Of course, language teaching isn't life-threatening, but it's worth considering the practical as well as the theoretical aspects of the job.

Jane

As Croixblanches has said, there are only two accredited qualifications which are worth more than the paper they are printed on. Many of the "suppliers" of TEFL courses are little better than degree mills.

The following URL points to a discussion group which has a global/American perspective on the matter:

http://www.eslcafe.com/discussion/dz1/index.cgi?#1408935768

If nothing else, it will show you what a minefield the supply of TEFL courses is!

I'd agree with both Jane (no I haven't taken offence) and Clark that there are only a couple of recognised qualifications in terms of getting proper jobs in proper establishments.  However, neither of these are available online and cost quite a bit.  I didn't have the time or finance to do these but thought the online course would be useful if ever I just wanted to do a little bit of private tuition once living here.  There are plenty of people around here who offer private lessons with absolutely no experience of teaching, proper grammar structure etc, so had I completed my online course I would have been strides ahead of them in my ability, although of course, some way behind those who had done a full residential course.

I think Lollie's original question asked about doing online courses because she can't do it any other way and I think she wanted to do it for much the same reasons as I did.  Therefore, I still stand by the course I was doing.  I thought it was actually very good and a friend who has done a "proper" course looked at my stuff and thought so too.

Spot on Coco.   I could get work in many of the primaire schools here just as a native speaker, but as you did, I wanted to have some education on how to structure lessons etc.   I have worked voluntary in schools before, taught at Sunday school and take a short summer school here for french children about to start the anglo section at out local college here.  Therefore it is the content rather than the practical I am looking for.

Thanks for all replies;    Now when is it going to get warmer?

Lollie    Dept 44

Lollie

I did a CELTA course in a month ... it was worth doing, costly but I have the qualification for life.  I had an advantage in that I'd taught TEFL before so I got through without too much stress.

The course is tough but worthwhile IF you are going to put it to good use.  As someone else mentions, the online courses are 'TEFL factories' and not having the classroom experience whilst learning could be difficult.

However you say that you want to teach children locally .. and therefore just want some 'grounding' in teaching methodology ... so an online course might suit, as I suspect you aren't looking at teaching a class of 20, 5yr olds etc!!

Good luck with it, PM me if you want more info.  I teach here in France .. both via a school and privately.

Audois,

You say that you teach English privately - do you or anyone else know what regulations there are about doing this? I've always thought that you had to set up as a proper business to teach privately - a costly business. Then I have heard that if turn over is below a certain figure, charges are reduced or reimbursed. Can anyone throw some light on this for me?

Nick