Real Englishmen don't speak French

I had to visit the nurse first thing this morning. On seeing my name on the prescription the nurse started speaking to me in English - nothing unusual about that, many French people welcome a chance to try out their language skills. However he was quite surprised that I answered him, and continued the conversation, in French, and was nothing short of amazed, when filling out the paperwork, that I was able to give my date of birth in French.

He said that hardly any English men he sees will speak any French, though English women are more likely to make the effort. I regard my level of language, despite having lived here for over three years now, as far closer to adequate than good. Asking Mrs C about it she (who is always first with the French phrase, leaving me well behind) agreed. Her view - she sees plenty of English-speaking couples in the course of her work, those who live here as well as those who want to - was that women were usually more willing to have a go, and they have a head start anyway as they will have paid more attention in French lessons at school.

Thinking about what the nurse said, he could be right - does this match others' experiences?

Incidentally, at our local cabinet, both nurses are male. Now that surely is unusual in France?

I'd agree, there are many over thetre now who speak very little french if any at all, and most of the ones i've seen, although not exclusively, have been men.

I was in our local Supermarket, when I was stopped by an English couple, (obviously heard me talking to the wife), and quizzed about something or other. Behind me, I overheard a couple of supermarket employees, one of who said to the other, "English are in again, they are taking over, how's YOUR English?" to the other, in French of course.

I turned and spoke to both in decent French, and their shock was something to see.

I also told the young man with the comment to be careful, as, although I hadn't been insulted, there are others out there who might have been, and just because someone ISN'T speaking your language, doesn't mean they CAN'T.

He agreed, and we parted friends, he always greets me when I go in now.

Alcazar

My husband is Irish and he speaks flawless french and is often mistaken for being french, but of course his wife (moi) is always the foreigner.

It took me a good 3 years to feel comfortable enough to converse - would always let me husband do it.  I read the books, listened (really tried) to watch french tv.  Now I am considered fluent, but I am not, but I do try and sound probably awful, but I have learnt that the french really do appreciate the most smallest of efforts.  I was in a  radio cabinet recently and spoke continuously in french.  At the end of the session, the radiologist thanked me for speaking french - he told me it made his day as I was the first English person in a 2 years to speak to him in French.

I do see people trying though and they are succeeding because that is the only way.  Those who do not try will never speak french, you cannot just wake up one morning and expect to speak it.

So to those who try (me included) we will learn maybe 10 - 20 new words a week and before you know it we will be there, but it might take 20 years.

deby

Interesting obvservation Will.  As you know, we're not a million miles from you and round here the French themselves have made similar comments.  They say how strange it is that the English women all at least TRY to speak French whereas the English men make very little effort.  When we arrived here just over two years ago I was streets ahead of my husband but he is fast catching up.  Sadly we all too often hear the French say how nice it is that we speak French because so many of the Brits in this area don't even attempt to make the effort.

Our local doctor also made the observation to my mum that it was sad that the English were so lazy about learning French.  His comment was that the older people seem to make more of an effort than the younger ones (surprising really) and that the women try harder than the men.  However, on a recent visit to the same doctor he insisted on speaking English - he's going to Australia for his summer holiday and wants to practice his English!!  I'm afraid he was lost after my opening phrase of "g'day" - being able to speak English is no guarantee of being understood, or understanding the language in Oz

In our area if you don't speak french, tough, you've had it. Occasionally you will find some french person who knows a few words of english, eg our vet. Otherwise struggle with the dictionary. I've never come across this thing that they really appreciate it if you try. Why should they speak any other language than french anyway? Our experience was similar to Coco's - I started off with some french and husband with none, and now he understands better than me and has quite a good vocabulary. It puts quite a burden on the french-speaking partner at first. Pat.

Round my way I've had the opposite experience, more English men speaking French than women. Though I would say the English women who speak French tend to carry it off much better than the men in terms of accent and correctness while the men tend to bumble through it (spoken as a true bumbler...).

We've had in the last six months lots of complements about our French, and quite a few "it is a real shame most of your compatriates don't try...".

The more I learn, the more I realize I have left to learn though.

My husband moved here three months before me and, at that time, we thought we had done something really original and that we were the first Brits to move to the Charente . ha ha!! Anyway, he'd not studied French at school but had done an AS course and used the Michel Thomas tapes before moving here. He then spent three months talking to our neighbours everyday and by the time I moved here his French was very good.

I really struggled with the language, understood loads but didn't have the confidence to speak as I thought my grammar had to be perfect, and so for the first couple of years let him do all the talking (until he got fed up and refused!).

I think I've gained much more confidence in the last year since meeting loads of Brits who don't/won't speak any French and realising how sad that is and how silly they look. I can now have a decent conversation and talk about things other than the weather. We are lucky though in that we have our neighbours and other French friends so are able to practise on a daily basis - I'm hoping to be virtually fluent in another three years!

I was in the Brico Depot the other day. There was an english chap (70ish I guess) buying something on the bathroom counter. He was asking for what he wanted in French and, although not fluent, made a very good job of asking for what he wanted and as I passed by he was being complimented by some french people. He said he had been learning at evening classes for 3 years. I was very impressed; so many of the people I hear in there can barely string together two badly pronounced words. It just goes to show it can be done.

Liz (29)

I'd agree with Hegs too.  I used to think I was pretty good, but the more I learn the more I realise there is to learn.  However, English is the same and I often regard foreigners as being fluent in English when they probably feel exactly as we do at the moment!

Speaking of Brico Depot, or the like, we once heard an aweful Englishwoman in the Caen one speaking extremely loudly and just prefixing each English sentance with "Qu'est-ce que c'est?"  The sad thing is, I think she truly believed that by doing this the second part of her sentance was also understood.  But the sales assistant soon got fed up with "Qu'est-ce que c'est does this shower unit cost?"  And I heard him string a sentance together in English along the lines of "we don't have any in stock but I think you'll get one from the Brico Depot in ....."  Talk about passing the buck - but who could blame him?!?

Quote from Hegs: The more I learn, the more I realize I have left to learn though.

Tout a fait.  I have a piece of paper sitting in a nice frame on the wall in front of me indicating that le Ministere de l'Education Nationale believes my French is virtually en par with that of a native speaker.  (They must be bonkers but that's beside the point here.)   Yet I'm convinced I'm going to be spending the rest of my life "learning French", I don't think it's something you can ever say you've completed.  

Re the original posting, slipping into dangerous territory here, I realise, but how about this for just a suggestion.  Could it be a pride thing with men?  I would cautiously suggest that men only do something if they're confident they can do it well.  Whereas women are not so concerned about making mistakes? 

M

You could be right Margaret.  They so hate to let anyone know that they don't know/can't do everything perfectly don't they?  Like when you take a wrong turn or get lost when you're going somewhere and they won't a) turn round or b) stop and ask someone directions - now that's a real man thing