300,000 French living in the UK

There you go.  That is what they said on the telly last night.

It was an item about how it is so much easier to set up a business in the UK than here. 

They had a lady taxi driver in London, people who worked in patisserie shops etc.  It was said that hardly any of them was on the dole....

Or running a B&B...

That leaves a difference of about 200,000 brits more in France then if they reckon half a million of us are over here. Should soon level out I reckon if the economy takes a nosedive here with all the problems of the EU and threatened strike chaos again.

Who said it was 300,000?  That sounds low to me.  I've heard the figure of 500,000 Brits in France banded about quite a lot and just about any newspaper or TV current affairs programme claims that there are more French in the UK than Brits in France.  I heard there were 250,000 in London alone.

We also heard from our S African guests the other day that there are 1.3 MILLION South Africans in LONDON at the moment.

Odd you should say that Coco, I have noticed a lot of South Africans in leafy Berkshire lately. My 'colorist' at the hairdressers is one, last week on my trip to Waitrose, Maidenhead the merchandiser was South African, the shelf stacker and the check out lady too, people living opposite my mother are from SA and have moved to be near their son who is just up the road - I'm not sure about just 'in London' but certainly in London and the home counties.

And very charming they all are too.

I didn’t see the news last night about the French living in England, but had already seen in other programmes how they are going over to set up business as the « charges » in France are so heavy. It is funny you should say how well they are getting on over there, as we here in France are amazed at the way the British are coming over, without even speaking the language, setting up all sorts of original ways of earning a living, and making it work!

Bacon and eggs, fish ‘n chips, clotted cream teas in la France profonde, pourquoi pas? Petits croissants le matin in Maidenhead, why not? « Mixtures and mingles » of any sort are enriching and lead to ouverture d’esprit, ze melting-pot, as the French would say.

Even though I crossed the Channel in 1968 I am still ashamed of my English accent when I speak French. Though the French are usually too polite to remark on it, when they do they often tell me not to lose it saying «Ca donne du charme ». Now, when I meet English people, they sometimes wonder where I am from as they say I have an accent when I speak English! So it seems I have become a « mixture ». Et, tant mieux!  

Christine

I believe the statistic of an estimated half a million Brits in France refers to the number of homeowners, not full time residents.

With the majority of homes in France owned by Brits being 'maison secondaires',the actual numbers of Brits who are permanent residents in France is probably a lot less.

We also heard from our S African guests the other day that there are 1.3 MILLION South Africans in LONDON at the moment.

As London has a population of about 8 million, this would mean that more than one Londoner in 8 was South African. This seems unlikely. The figure of 250,000 French in London is interesting. I wonder what they all do?

Jo

The figure of 250,000 French in London is interesting. I wonder what they all do?

I would imagine many of them are French people under 35, working in financial services, advertising and marketing.  London is a world city and it attracts people, especially young people, from all over the world.  Also, I know lots of French migrants working in the high end of hospitality.  It's not just the French, there are lots and lots of young European migrants in the UK.  London's a pretty easy place to get a job if you have a decent education, speak English and are willing to work.