Come the Revolution......

Quite a depressing article really!

Yes, I could see 'a revoluton' happening, more so as Chirac's time comes to an end in the next two years. But as the article says, France needs, desperately, to change but when a politician tries to make a change the (some) people of France protest against it and it doesn't happen.

A good article to show to those thinking of moving to France who think that the grass is greener on the other side.

Very interesting article. France has to change... LOL! I know there'll be plenty of people slanting a glance at their monitors and saying "yeah right!" but even France cannot stay the same forever, it will have to evolve. Some things will evolve for the better... some... not.

But bloody revolution? Dunno, but I don't think so. That would require more activism than the 35 hour week would support, wouldn't it??

Fantine:

<< A good article to show to those thinking of moving to France who think that the grass is greener on the other side. >>

It's a good article to show to people who are thinking of moving, who will have to find employment, have young children to take through the education system - who will have to find work at the end of it... but I suspect the majority (?) of people moving to France are older, no dependents, may still need to work but don't want (to continue) a high-flying career - making the article interesting reading but perhaps not directly applicable. Would be their perception?

SB,

You do find 'em !

Yes, to many this is how it can feel here when talking to French friends, well the serious type anyway, you know the ones with Gainsbourg type looks and healthy bohemian locks with a girlfriend fresh out of the Sorbonne. Now this is the type I to talk to

I find our local farmer more concerned with his rebate and collecting the dosh regularly and others partying all the time and so "werry laid back". Many BBQ every night, always talking about wine and how much they consume before breakfast, how their beret needs a new button, how the onions have chaffed the back of their 'kerchief and all those chose très important.

Revolution, well our neighbour farmer has a pitchfork dating back to ancien grand Père' and is prepared to man the barricades here in down town La Ville Blanche for the nouvelle revolution (wasn't that T Rex ?)and I will stand side by side with Jean Pierre for the glory of France sans Black Jacques.

More seriously, nice journalistic piece, showing the slightly more real current state of affairs here, for those that take France a little bit more seriously than a nightly Ricard and a verre or deux of van rooge. I have to say, I might well have a foot in both camps

Went out last night - trawling around to find a restaurant that was open. Now I thought being July and holiday season that this would not prove to be difficult. I went to three establishments and all said 'only on Friday and Saturday nights.'  For goodness sake! 

I can understand the 'out of season' philosophy but surely July and August there would be something on offer, even so the night before a ferié!

Our excellent local Auberge is also closing for two weeks in August too!  I know this would be the case in Grenoble, but the Charente-Maritime - holiday dept, I am shocked! 

It is the old adage of French life, that is so true, the French need to take a holiday too. Surely it makes business sense to take holidays in low season.  They (the French) are struggling along, but day to day life continues, the savoir faire, the lazy, hazy summers all oblivious to lifes' woes!

I've got a headache!

Deby

Went out last night - trawling around to find a restaurant that was open.

LOL Deby, been there, done that!   About a month ago we thought we'd go out for Sunday lunch, just for a treat, because we so very rarely eat out.    5 restaurants later, we finally found one that opened on a Sunday.

We were in the opposite direction from McDo and Restaumarché, but I'll bet they were packed, as usual!   

There used to be a theory (well, alright, my A level teacher) that France worked on a 19-year cycle (like sunspots) which I think was 8 years of liberty, followed by a crisis and 11 years of repression. Or the other way around. So from 1958 to 1969 there was repression, followed by the riots, then 8 years of freedom, ending in 1977 when - well, it isn't exact, but you get the idea? It's a sort of supersize national PMT.

Oooh Dick!  Sunspots now there is a topic, do you want to talk some quantum physics and have you read The Mayan Prophecies?  Gosh I feel my brain is grinding,  just at the mere thought!  Certainly a good point, there are definitley cycles.

Currently we have plagues of ladybirds and crickets (or the generic) here at the moment, the wells are very dry and the rivers look very shallow, the fields are looking eery.  What is nature telling us? I will have to  get out my Mesoamerican calendar out to see what is in store.

Sorry if I have gone off topic!

Deby

Now, if you take the 11 and 8 year sunspot cycles, and plot them against stellar cycles (to achieve Universal Oneness) and add in the individual's biorhythms you can work out if any given forum poster is about to throw a wobbly on any particular day, or on the good days post in appreciation of furrynix.

There won't be another revolution, minor or major, in France in a long while, only a few skirmishes and some well-orchestrated noise by wily 'gauchistes révolutionnaires' parvenus such as the youngster Besancenot. The reality in Paris and France as a whole, and not just among the chattering classes and the clattering piliers de zinc, is that, by complete opposition to the 60's and 70's it is now frowned upon to use such heavyweight words as 'prolétaires', 'droits du peuple', etc. You are shouted down by the bien-pensants if you broach the subject. By contrast, people freely use very explicit sexual words in the middle of a mundane conversation, words that would have been truly 'revolutionary' 35 yrs ago. 35 yrs ago, conversations and reactions were pretty much the opposite of today. Maybe a sexual revolution, bis repetita, then ?

• 3 months later...

[quote]Well, is it happening?!As the riots head towards the second week, it i being said it has less and less to do with the two dead teenagers.[/quote]

Does anyone actually know for sure the true version of events re the two dead teeenagers? I'd read that they were fleeing a "controle", and then aslo read that they were breaking into a substation, and the survivor called the pompiers, and when THEY turned up, they were stoned (no, not the pompiers stoned, some youths stoned them ), and the police got involved. So what DID happen? Or will we never know?

Alcazar

Well one would expect the guardian come come out with that sort of headline.maybe I should re-read it but cannot seem to find any reference to drug talking criminal activity or why the yoofs think they should police themselves!!!There are many good folk who live on the estates and not all of them by a long way support what the criminal gangs are doing.