My avatar

The lovely ermintrude, my favourites were Mr Mackenzie and Mr Rusty because you didn't see them that often.

In my adult life, I think Nicholas Witchell ( is that spelt right?) looks like Brian the Snail.

Ill be back in a minute!

Can you really tell the difference?

Can you see the pictures or am I hallucinating?

Me too,

I could never bring myself to watch the 1990s version after growing up listening to Eric Thompson's wonderfully laid back narration, actually I think I read somewhere that he just made it up as he went along.

And this leads me to ask about the French version of "Noddy", where he is called "Oui-oui" and Bigears is called "Potiron".

Anyone know the names of the other characters?

Sly? Gobbo? Mr Plod? Dinah Doll? Tessy Bear? Mr Tubby Bear? Wobbly Man? Bumpy Dog? Mr Sparks? Martha Monkey?

Alcazar

Thank you, everyone!  

To cut a long story short, I've just made an Ermintrude, and about 20 French people so far have completely failed to recognise her.   I explain that she's the cow from le Manège Enchanté, and even that just gets an "Ah.  Oui.".

It just never had the same impact in France, it was just a kiddie's program.  Pollux the dog wasn't cynical, he just had an English accent, the rabbit was just sleepy (not drugged), and Margot the girl was just dull.

So all praise is due to Eric Thompson for taking something French, making it British, and making it GREAT!!! 

I know we've done this one before, but I thought the recent film might have jogged French people's memories.

p.s. Dougal was NOT de Gaulle!  Dougal was NEVER de Gaulle! 

I thought the recent film might have jogged French people's memories.

My youngest has fallen in love with the film (she's 4 so she has an excuse) but she's never seen it in French. When we talk about it, I use the English names, and I expect daddy to use the French names. Only he can't. He  is of the right generation to have seen it on telly but he can only remember a couple of names and it had absolutely no impact on him (not like Casimir- you just have to say the word, to get him singing) As far as he's concerned, it was just a 1960s programme for very little children.

I thought the recent film might have jogged French people's memories.

My youngest has fallen in love with the film (she's 4 so she has an excuse) but she's never seen it in French. When we talk about it, I use the English names, and I expect daddy to use the French names. Only he can't. He  is of the right generation to have seen it on telly but he can only remember a couple of names and it had absolutely no impact on him (not like Casimir- you just have to say the word, to get him singing) As far as he's concerned, it was just a 1960s programme for very little children.

[quote]Ermintrude was my favourite. So laid back, darling. What about Tantan for Tintin and Milou ????? for Snowy.[/quote]

Well........"Tan-tan" is just the French pronunciation of Tin-tin, and Milou was called Milou first, before the English translators called him "Snowy".

Alcazar

What about the Thompson Twins ? What were they called in French?

Weren't they Thompson and Thomson (with and without 'p') in English? Middle child had it re-explained to her that they weren't twins when she commented on it while watching "lac de requins" last week (why they ever bothered making that I'll never know)

The best name translations are probably in Asterix. I'll stick my neck out and say that even though the origial is in french the English versions of the names are funnier (or it might be that I miss some of the cultural references)

I keep forgetting the French Harry Potter names which makes for complicated conversations with pupils. (so what do you call the teacher who...)

[quote]What about the Thompson Twins ? What were they called in French? BTW I don't mean the 80s popgroup[/quote]

They were Dupont and Dupondt

I have the full set of Tin-tin books in French, having started the collection in '99 when Total garages were offering one for FF10 if you filled up there. I got those three, then bought the rest over the next 4 years from supermarkets. I still read them now, I love the language in there.

Now............anyone know the French names for the other characters in Noddy?

Alcazar

Unfortunately .... yes

Forced into oui-oui world by my friends 3 year old daughter everytime I visit.... she`s obsessed

où est oui-oui?......... LA!..... oui il est la

(turn page and repeat)

As for the others in the hood... errrmmm

Potiron

Monsieur Lapompe

Monsieur le Gendarme

Chatounette

Mirou and Zim

there are more I think but can`t remember them at the moment..

[quote]In France, Noddy is known as Oui-Oui. Among his other friends are M. Le Gendarme (Mr Plod); Potiron (Big Ears); Mirou (Tessie Bear); M. Culbuto (Mr Sparks) and Finaud & Sournois (Sly & Gobbo)....[/quote]

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

So who are Chatounette, (Miss Pink Cat??), Mirou and Zim?

And does Miss Pink Cat have an ENGLISH accent in the French adaptation, like she has a French one in the English?

Does anyone know WHY she has a French accent? Did Enid Blyton write it that way?

Alcazar