childhood memories

Pip

Thank goodness for those childhood memories ! 

Bread and milk for breakfast (with lots of sugar), a bag full of sweets for a threepenny piece, bodices, helping mum to cut newspaper into squares for the loo, organic vegetables straight from the garden, toffee apples made and sold by neighbours, chalk to write with and slates to write on at school, the excitement at seeing a car driven down our road, exchanging old clothes for Easter chicks with the rag and bone man, Saturday mornings at the Odeon, the old tin bath in front of the fire on a Saturday night (the dog went in last !!) and  'I Love Lucy' on the box  -  and last but not least being able to run and play all day in the open fields without a care in the world !!

Glad I was born then and not now.

I've so much enjoyed all your memories !

Tess

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too had bread and milk for breakfast, cereal was far too expensive.

We also had bread and lard sometimes and best treat was to have toast with dripping after the Christmas turkey.  Spanish Root, a sort of stringy stuff tasting of liquorice and fruit iced lollies that lost their fruitiness almost immediately leaving just the ice.

Playing marbles on the way to school, warming the milk on the coal stove in the winter so as to be able to drink it, having a sleep in the classroom in the afternoon and chilblains. They don't know their born nowadays.[:'(]

weedon

Don't know about Bread & milk, we had cooked breakfast, bacon & egg usually often with fried bread, every day - how did we survive - all that fat!

My mother is stick thin and my father, although a little tubby, never had heart or blood pressure problems, but then we also had a 'proper' cooked meal, meat (sheperds pie, steak and kidney pie, liver & bacon, lamb hot pot , veal sometimes as a treat, steak ) and two veg,(often home grown) and desert each evening. Cheese and biscuits with milky coffee at 9pm too ! Where on earth did I put all that food ?????

We were not well off either, but food was high on my mothers priorities and she was a good cook.

I wonder whether that was lamb or mutton hot pot? The latter disappeared for a long while but seems at last to be making a comeback. Personally I prefer the stronger, richer taste of mutton and am not put off by the extra fat which can be lifted off anyway. By the way, has anyone ever tried to get mutton in France?

I seem to remember that meals followed a weekly pattern; Sunday roast (at lunch-time), Monday, cold meat and mash (plenty of brown sauce) Tuesday through until Saturday was bread and butter and jam, home made cake, never shop bought. My Dad was the only one to get a cooked meal at night.  If we had pudding or afters (never desert) it was jam roly poly, spotted dick or the aforementioned without the spots but with oodles of syrup. All that fat and cholesterol, lovely jubbly. As for eating heart and brawn, I am lucky to be here still!  And bring back Frizzits, I used to luv em.  Quite what they were made of , who knows! 

Mondays.... I used to hate them, the smell of the washing boiling away in the copper. My Mum was a dab hand with that copper stick though with anybody within swinging distance and she was faster than Linford Christie over 5 yards.

Oh, and I still cannot rid myself of the habit of sniffing the milk in case it's off, it never is now but quite often was in those days.

weedon

Tin bath in front of the fire in the kitchen, hotted up for someone else when I got out!

We lived in a rented house, the landlord died and my father made the landlords sons 'an offer' when the house was his he put in a bathroom and after a year he sold the house and we moved to a house with a 'PINK' bathroom, my mother still has the same bath, its long and deep and the water stays hotter, longer. Great for a good soak even now......[:)]

After the boiling of the washing, do you remember the mangle, had to be careful not to get your fingers in that!

What are Frizzits Weedon, something like scratchins?  I remember my stepgrandfather, when I stayed with them, used to get me to finish my porridge by saying that if I did I could see the pattern in the bottom of the bowl (they had a lot of nice old patterned plates)..

He used to whiska us (rubbing his unshaved chin on our faces).  We used to try to run away screaming, but he would catch us and "whiska us".  No wonder I became hysterical and ran away to France!

I am not sure of the correct spelling of Frizzits, but it was powder that you added water to make a paste and dropped a dollop the size of a jaffa cake into the frying pan.  They were a tan colour and had a savoury taste.

Gypsy Tart...Cheese Potatoe...Mock Cream...Rice Pudding (with a dollop of Jam)..Perfectly round pearlescent boiled spuds[+o(] the ever present smell of mince and scrape duty using a rubber spatula, the only saving grace with being on scrape duty was the ability to flick a splodge of gunge at somebody who gave you a pile of plates with squashed food between the plates.

weedon 

Did anyone else's grandmother use their old boiler for cooking besides washing the laundry ?  I used to watch fascinated as she tied rags onto stone basins and lowered them in to the steaming water and finally produced the most wonderful Christmas puds !  She was also a dab hand at hot crust pies.  Yummmmm !!!

Picking frozen Brussels sprouts in my gran's garden then having them for lunch. Fresh cream taken off the top of gently heated milk from the churn man and spooned over home made fruit tarts.   Much later --- Vesta curries and Blue Nun

[quote user="Dicksmith"]Seems that it is Frizzets - never heard of them myself - but a substitute is discussed on the UKTVfood website:
"Make a light egg batter and season with celery salt, onion granules and a little pepper; it makes a passable alternative"

Sounds simple enough.
[/quote]

Wouldn't be the same though Dick, I prefer to remember them as being tasty.

weedon

PS. Our lemonade man was "the neptune man" he had an ex-army lorry with canvas instead of doors.

Playing in bombed out buildings.....sliding down haystacks.......saluting at AA men.......bob-a-job.........in Sainsbury watching the man cutting off a piece of butter then using 2 paddles to knock it into shape......Smith's crisps with the blue packet of salt......and ABC Minors on a Saturday morning and playing Flash Gordon on the way home........

We are the boys and girls well known as

Minors of the ABC

And every Saturday we line up to see the films we like

and shout aloud with glee.............

weedon

[quote user="Tessden"]

Thank goodness for those childhood memories ! 

Bread and milk for breakfast (with lots of sugar), a bag full of sweets for a threepenny piece, bodices, helping mum to cut newspaper into squares for the loo, organic vegetables straight from the garden, toffee apples made and sold by neighbours, chalk to write with and slates to write on at school, the excitement at seeing a car driven down our road, exchanging old clothes for Easter chicks with the rag and bone man, Saturday mornings at the Odeon, the old tin bath in front of the fire on a Saturday night (the dog went in last !!) and  'I Love Lucy' on the box  -  and last but not least being able to run and play all day in the open fields without a care in the world !!

Glad I was born then and not now.

I've so much enjoyed all your memories !

Tess

[/quote]

Bread and milk for breakfast.   We had it too....It was called Bread Pobs here in Lancashire.U.K.

It was 'pobbies' in my part of the red rose county.

Coming home from school and lighting the coal fire (first one home -

'latchkey children - shock, horror!!) and using the coal shovel and

sheet of newspaper as a 'blower', leaving it in place until the paper

started to go all brown and crinkly ( health & safety issue? - nah)

sitting on the kerb in summer rolling balls of 'gas-tar' in your fingers

Being out all day in the holidays, in the field with your pals, no mobile phone to call home and parents not worried about it.

Ice on the INSIDE of the bedroom windows in winter. Didn,t experience CH till I was 30.

Did it do any of us any harm?

Theoretically none of us should have survived.

Regards

While having toast this morning, I remembered that for years I thought that when you spread butter, it came out with wavy lines on it. As we normally had Margarine, butter was on ration I believe, Mum did the sarnies for tea on Sunday and used the bread knife ,with a serrated edge, to spread the butter,hence the wavy lines.!! Another one for my wife's notes!!

Regards. By St.Malo

My grandmother used to butter the end of the loaf and THEN cut a slice off. I remember my mother being very scornful of the practice. Grandma used to clutch the loaf to her and saw off a lump towards her chest - never taking the cigarette out of her mouth at any point...

We used to go round to my grandparents' place on Sundays for a 'proper' high tea, with winkles, bread and butter and tinned salmon. I haven't had winkles for years (control yourself Miki) - don't even know where you'd get 'em these days, now that all the seafood stalls outside pubs have gone.

And outside toilets with cut-up newspaper - they were fun in winter...

Gran with a Woodbine never far from her lips - Grandad rolling his own and proper Dripping cakes, still warm, bought at the local bakery on the way to school !  Oh and does anyone remember Dunkies ?  Ring doughnuts with a glazed icing. Been looking for those for more years than I can remember.

Tess

"Ice on the INSIDE of the bedroom windows in winter. "

That reminded me of the time I went to the bathroom to find the face flannel frozen to the sink !

Our bucket loos, two seater, were emptied once a week by a man called Hookie Smith. His hook was a useful tool for a horrid job. He used to take his pony into the pub for a pint.

Hoddy

I think my grandad (who used to whisker us) smoked Woodbines, but he also rolled his own and we used to love to watch him.  One day with my cousins when there were no parents about, he taught us to make rag fags... bits of old rag rolled up into newspaper, made quite a flame and a load of smoke!  He was always up to something, good old Bamps.

How could I have forgotten ice on the inside of the bedroom window!  And getting into bed and not being able to push your legs down very far because it was so cold except for the patch directly underneath the hot brick wrapped in a towel.

I remember winkles for tea, Dick,  all you needed was a plate of winkles and a pin and bread and butter.

I hated Mrs Dales Diary on the radio but quite liked Life with the Lyons; Ben, Bebe, Richard, girl? and I think Aggy the scottish home help.  Billy Cotton Band Show was quite lively but I didn't like the singing of Alan Breeze.  Archie Andrews and Peter Brough, they couldn't make the transfer to television because all Peter Brough could do was speak in a silly voice and couldn't do it without moving his lips.  You could buy a little Archie Andrews plastic head which had a button where his neck was to enable you to move his jaw up and down and have hours of fun[:D]

Empire Day with big fun at school although nobody knew what Empire Day was all about and now we haven't got one.

Chatham Navy Days in August in the days when the Royal Navy had ships.

weedon