LF May edition/Da Vinci Code

Fay

[quote user="Dick Smith"]It was there, but it seems that Kipper has deleted it (it now has no text in it). Why he/she would send it to you by email or pm I don't know - unless this is the first post by someone we have met before in a different guise.
[/quote]

Dick (person of many guises yourself!)

It was in my Email box as sent by the 'Complete France Forum Email' automatic reply to whatever thread you happen to contribute at the time... Well well... an unexplained mystery which is not explored in that doorstep of  a book !! 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>NEW PAGE IN THE BIBLE FOUND

It belongs at the beginning of the book just before Genesis. Scholars have been
searching for centuries looking for it. It contains only the following text.

"The events, characters and firms depicted in this book are purely ficticious.
Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead or to actual events of the book
or firms is purely coincidental."<<<

I like that! [:D] I like it a lot!

Why didn't I [I] think of it... 

[quote user="Dick Smith"]'Name of the Rose' is wonderful, but has anyone (or anyone they have met) ever got to the end of 'Foucault's Pendulum'?
[/quote]

Foucault's Pendulum was the first Eco book I read (& finished!).  Could this explain why I am, how I am, today?!! [8-)]

And while not wanting to insult anyone - but it is possibly true, that the entire bible, is also a total work of fiction?  Evolution, survival of the fittest etc. is more of a reality to me.  Or did God put dinosaur bones in the ground - just to mess with our brains?!!! [;-)]

Hi

I had better clarify things. I was supporting the idea that 'the church' , by which I mean the governing body or bodies in any religion, exerts the power and sometimes abuses it. Originally this may have been for practical purposes, codes of ethics and day to day practicalities, but then also used for bad reasons or with bad outcomes.

I happen to respect people who have a faith and am not 'dissing' religion per se. However there is something suspect in forever trying to attribute 'intent' in actions or the detail of words that were written eons ago, whether Shakespeare or  somebody's Bible / mantra! We are where we are and need to be looking forward not back.

Or did God put dinosaur bones in the ground - just to mess with our brains?!!! [;-)]

Well ...... Yes,Ali actually he did.  Or so several evangelical Americans have told me when I have had the evolutionary argument with them.  The same as he put all other fossils there, for our (human) entertainment and pleasure at finding them!

As for the DVC  I really enjoyed it - but then, I did take it as a work of fiction.  No worse than James Bond, which so many men (but they must have boys brains to enjoy it) seem to love.

The Olive Farm - well I asked for it for Christmas a few years ago because it was "about France" but what a load of pretentious, luvvy twaddle.  I am ashamed to say I read the Olive Season too, but mainly only because I believed things could only get better - how wrong I was.  I don't intend to read the Olive Harvest - I just can't take any more!!!!