Willing To Cut Grass

Hello Good People,

We have a slight problem. Having a holiday home @ Peussec, Aizecq (close to Ruffec) in the Charente region, complete with a 2 acre field. We have tried to find a local farmer to cut our grass, to no avail. I have invested in a sickle bar mower, but this is a massive task.

Visiting normally for four or five days at a time, I am spending two days trying to cut my grass and really getting nowhere.

Does anyone know of a farmer or anybody with a tractor & cutter in my area who could assist?

If all else fails you may need to invest in a tractor/topper.

As it will be going into semi-retirement, tractor can be fairly ancient, provided it has a standard PTO. 

I had the same problem with grass cutting, and eventually managed to pick up a second-hand Iseki with 5000hours together with a new 1.8m topper from a dealer for around 4500euros.Beware second-hand toppers as they are usually worn out.

It does my 2 acres including the lawn in less than a morning.

Mildly therapeutic too!

We have a farmer that cuts ours for hay, we have no arrangement and there is no payment. We would be hard pressed to find a farmer to cut if hay was not involved. It suits us very well, however you do have to live with long grass for several months at a time. But is wonderful and clean when they do cut because they collect all of the grass and of course no work for us [:)].

[quote user="missyesbut"]Put 2 or 3 sheep on it! Welsh farmers wives way of solving their lawn problems![/quote]

I thought that this was a way to solve a Welsh farmers wife's bedroom problems[6]

Hello,

It may not worth the expense of investing in tractors unless you like your toys...

I subcontract this type of work to an agricultural contractor. For 2 hectares or grass costs 60-100euros and this is done normally 3 times a year.

They are to be found everywhere, just give them a call or visit the office.

Regards Ty

The answer to this partly depends on the quality of the hay you can produce. We have a similar size field and produced hay from it for the first two years. The quality of it was very poor, however, and now we let a local graze their horses on it to keep it down. She just happens to be the proprietor of one of the canoe companies on the Dordogne and so me and mine get free canoe hire in return. Perhaps you could come to some similar arrangement locally.

Hoddy

A local farmer cuts my fields once a year (the grass ones anyway).  He gets the hay and I pay him.  I always offer to pay and never try the “you are getting the hay” argument.  Reason I pay him is, to be honest, I’m unsure of the way some people can acquire “rights” to something (which are then inherited by their heirs, etc.).  I am told that if you pay for something you are paying for a service and the farmer is not acquiring any rights to the hay from your land.  Probably he would not be acquiring any rights anyway – its just I don’t understand how such things work so I play safe.

Ian