Probably incredibly lucky, but...............

Yes, we are probably incredibly lucky, but here in Belgium after a disastrous 10 years with a high street bank, we decided to take the plunge and open an account with a much smaller outfit: if only we had known then what we know now. Super isn't the word! Friendly, personal service plus: FREE internal and overseas transfers; FREE Visa card, FREE statements every time we go in to see them, FREE internet banking access, NO bank charges - cannot fault them.

Now the question is, for those already in situ in LBF, are there any banks who offer the same or even simular services please? Have an account with BNP but are not really satisfied - they've made one or two slip-ups recently and guess what............. in their favour [natch]. Thanks in advance for all replies/suggestions.

[quote user="Evianers"]

Now the question is, for those already in situ in LBF, are there any banks who offer the same or even simular services please? Have an account with BNP but are not really satisfied - they've made one or two slip-ups recently and guess what............. in their favour [natch]. Thanks in advance for all replies/suggestions.

[/quote]

Not as far as I know but if you do find one, I and a few others would be interested[:D]

[quote user="Evianers"]

Friendly, personal service plus: FREE internal and overseas transfers; FREE Visa card, FREE statements every time we go in to see them, FREE internet banking access, NO bank charges - cannot fault them.

Now the question is, for those already in situ in LBF, are there any banks who offer the same or even simular services please? [/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, that's even funnier than the funniest French comedy!!!!   And that's pretty funny, I can tell you!  [:D]

Interesting.

UK banks encourage electronic banking because it removes cost from their operations. French banks make charges for electronic operations (I was charged for ordering a chequebook electronically) presumably to reimburse employees who are likely to be standing around doing nothing.

Hooray, Credit Agricole  have just started producing statements that give a running balance, so you know your balance after every transaction (like a British bank statement) not just at the end of the month. I never liked not knowing how close the account had come to empty!!

But don't get too excited. We've just had to fill in forms in triplicate to get an agreed overdraft of a whopping 300 euros, allowed for all of 20 days at a stretch! And we only have to pay 3 euros a month for the facility (whether used or not)! So flexible and convenient ... not.

Jo

I do not get charged by Credit Lyonais for receiving transfers from the U.K.I receive all my letters in english and I have not requested it, the only thing I pay for is my cashpoint card anual fee.I have online banking and although it is rubbish compared to online banking in the u,k and I do wonder how secure it is when they publish the way in on your bank statement, but it is free and I can view my account in the U.K.Mind you credit lyonais is part of credit agricole now.

Only useful if your pension/salary is paid into a UK bank but we have recently switched to Nationwide Soc who offer internet banking with rolling printable statements, no charges for using credit or debit cards in France or anywhere else as far as I know and you can move money between account types online and pay DD's, credit cards etc without penalty and their exchange rate is pretty good too, so far so good.

I was surprised to find out I was being charged E1 for each direct debit payment, only utility companies are free.  That's added to the annual payment.

I wonder if it is possible to run a euro account from another country ie Spain. Just a thought.  Internet banking I mean. I really resent paying these charges to use my own money. ie E32 to use a plastic card, surely they save money if you use one and not hundreds of cheques.

Georgina