French are rude and boring

I have no desire to be difficult and will as you suggest in future add faces etc to show people I am saying something in a particular manner. I had thought though that those who use this forum were sufficiently well educated to deduce that for themselves.

On the PM thing. I certainly never claimed it had been approved. I claimed that no objection was raised. I sent the post to 'Chris' last night and after 14 hours had no reply. I simply stated that no objection had been raised.

With respect, if you pay so little attention to the content of my text it does explain in part why you have removed it.

The txt I wrote was accurate factually. It did not make any personal remarks about any individual.

Look at the title of the thread for heaven's sake!!!! That is more objectionable than my text.

It seems Mt Shallac ( :-) ) a world figure can say 'the British can't cook' yet I cannot say the French don't do War so well'...

You will if you are not careful have a forum full of spineless sycophants. Take a look at the threads to see what I mean.

I feel my contributions, whilst not to everyone's taste do stimulate thought, emotion and reaction.

If you find my comments objectionable .... don't reply... simple.

I honestly feel that my text does not break any rules... Unlike the personal attack I have endured from another member.

Plainly your PMs can not see the difference between personal vitriol and general comment.... even if it is a bit controversial.

So much for free speech.

Joe

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am American and can tell you that there has been a LOT of very negative comments made about America and Americans but of course no one seems to mind that. By the way, most of these comments have not been made as a joke or tongue in cheek and if they had, I certainly would not have taken offence. It does appear the PC brigade here will pick and choose what they find offensive. I have never once complained to the moderators nor would I dream of doing so really cannot imagine anyone over ten doing this. It is a different matter though to my mind if someone disagrees with a comment made and therefore posts that disagreement within the thread, that is fair enough and what it is all about. Not reporting to the teacher.

Walkingdude, to use the smileys in your text, just click on the arrow above that is next to where it says "Insert Smiley" and highlight the text of the one you want. They are displayed at the bottom so that you can see what they look like. However, if you tick one of these it will only display in the title. Phew, must be a simpler way [:)]

Please refer to the code of conduct:

'Comments or questions regarding the general administration of the forum should be made by "private message" or using the "Report" link to the moderators or direct to Forum Admin. Such comments or questions should not be posted in the open forum'

Now, either get back to the topic or this thread will have to be locked.

I think they are neither. Some French are rude and some are boring…. Indeed some are both but that can be said of any race.

One of my French Friends used to work for the Intelligence services and he is very far from boring. Another of my French friends is a farmer and he is very boring but not rude.

I did meet a rude Frenchman in the shop recently but as I did not engage in a conversation with him I cannot say whether or not he was boring.

I would be very interested to hear the views of others about what their experience has been. I am particularly interested in whether or not you have met French people who are either one or the other…. That is rude or boring…. But not both.

I suppose like all of us French people also have moods so a Frenchman who is normally boring may not normally be rude…. But on the odd day he may be rude and boring… The again a normally boring Frenchman may have a manic day and present as being anything but boring.

I must say this is an interesting topic… It is full of possibilities…. We have not even begun to consider regional variations on rude and/or boring.

Has anyone experience of Corsican French people, either of the rude or boring type… or the more complex rude and boring type.

I trust so far I have not offended anyone….

Where was I… Oh yes! Rude and or boring Corsicans…. Now Napoleon, was not boring but I suppose he was a bit rude…. He was an interesting fellow. I would hazard a guess…. But I am by no means certain that Josephine found him not so rude as other may have done….

Do you know that after battle and on his return homeward he would send a fast messenger out on horseback to Josephine to give her the message…. “I shall be home in 3 days…. Do not bathe”… That was rude I would say….

(I am not suggesting that the habit of not bathing is in anyway typical of the French… just in case someone prowling the forum in search of offence may infer.

I wonder can one have degrees of rude… or degrees of boring…. And if they did would the scale be linear or would it be exponential…. Mmmm perhaps some of you readers would have a view on this… Yes I can see you all scratching your heads now and pondering this most interesting enigma.

I would love to continue this but I really must dash as there is some paint drying in the kitchen and I want to catch the last 20 minutes of that.

Jo….. The new non controversial Joe that is…. One may even say…… BORING JOE!

(((Smily Face))))

I just had a thought... I wonder could rude and boring actually be measured on the same scale... I have a meter that reads Chlorine and Cyanuric acid so why not... Imagine it we could measure a French man by getting hi to speak into a meter and that way we would know right away whether or not he was rude or boring...

Back to that paint… and when I say paint I am not suggesting French people don’t paint well… They do… look at that short bloke who drank pernod or something…. He was a good painter… Did the cistern chapel he did and him no more than n 4 foot tall…

Anyone got views on Pope Innocent III?

J

What ever you do don't mention the war!![:D]

By the way, how can you generalise a nation?  I live in a hamlet of about 14 houses and I am like none of my neighbours, thank god!!  We are all different and live on 10 acres of land.

This thread is nonsense.

How can you generalise a nation?

Try this… tick the first word that comes to your head:

British

Reserved / hooligans / empire

Irish

Drunk

French

Resistance / Wine / Lovers / cowards

Australians

Brash / Beer / women with facial hair

Americans

Insular / Naive / Fat / kinda nice

Germans

Towels / Rude / War

Mexicans

Poor

Welsh

Singers / Coal / Sheep

Scots

Drunk / Bigots

Russians

Great Call Girls

We all generalise and for good reason many races have obvious traits.. Some even have their own diseases which others cannot get….. sickle cell anaemia… for example. The South Africans were working on a few more but apartheid ended that research I am glad to say….

Yes Dude I know what you mean but at the same time we all know it's really just a load of old pollocks.

Back on thread... It's also rude and boring and should only be aimed at mates in a wind up sort of scenario otherwise it breeds hatred.  I love my country and, it angers me when a person generalises about it and pigeon holes me into what they believe I should be.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Now, either get back to the topic or this thread will have to be locked.

[/quote]

Well said KKK, couldn't agree more. However, on a separate matter, surely the above statement by Russethouse is a joke and should have included a smiley [:-))]

Yes WJT Shame on you Russethouse!!!  Right now we are all mates, there was a Taff, an American and a unusal mix of Irishman.............  That would be OK I think XX.

You give it Dude but fairplay, I think you would take it too.

Right, I am off on another thread now to annoy a North of Britain Man in a skirt with a big fish.

I hope you are joking about that Dude. 

With regards to the Mods I really don't think it is their fault.  They have so many people to please here they are torn all ways.  I think many members are a little trigger happy with the report button but as you said, unless it is serious and very personal, leave it to the ten year olds.

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

Yes Dude I know what you mean but at the same time we all know it's really just a load of old pollocks.

[/quote]

Blimey KatieKopyKat I hope thats local slang for politics !!!

I'm afraid it's true we do all tend to generalise nations, but we're not the only ones. The yanks think all English sound like Dick Van Dyke out of Mary Poppins or Prince Charles, Aussies think we are all whingeing Poms (with some justification if everyone moans at the slightest light hearted joke !) Most of the rest of the world either think we are warmongers or Drunk footie fans. It doesn't mean they hate us all, it's just a joke !!!

I don't take it personally in fact quite the opposite, I am happy to laugh about it.

We should be more open with our views, as long as it is not aimed at incitement.

[quote user="TheWalkingDude"]Could not agee more... I am half Irish and Algerian... can you imagine the time I had at the Christian Brothers' School in the mid 1960s??[/quote]

I can but my late mothers reply "so if you are so well born why are you not a bishop by now" sprngs to mind.

I find them neither. But I did fall out with my neighbour.... He and his wife are both naturalists (which is quite common here) and I objected to his being naked around his garden (in sight from my own).... He insisted it was OK here but when I asked the police they had other ideas.

has anyone else had this problem.

(I would not have minded myself.... but our guests wolud).

Dave

A bit of 'skinny dipping' in the pool is very nice though![:-))]. Not taken too well if it's the local municipal one though [Www]

Generalising is always wrong though.  We have some lovely neighbours and they could not be more helpful. They also know that if they have problems that we can help with then we will and have helped...

If you are rude to people then you can expect them to return the favor, but you can also expect to find the exception and they are not always French either!

John.