Microwaves and Electricity Supply

Probably best not to put the kettle and toaster on at same time as microwave. [:D]Seriously though you will just have to monitor how many appliances  and what combination you can run at one time without tripping the supply.

Our supply does trip now and again due mainly to me forgetting the water heater is on [geek]  Luckily computer, television have always been OK.  Clock always needs resetting plus the DVD but I don't worry about anything else. Its amazing how many appliances you can run on a 6kw supply.

[quote user="Thibault"]

We have a 6KW electricity supply to our house.  I would like to buy a small microwave. 

Could anyone advise me regarding possible problems given our limited level of electricity.

[/quote]

We have lived with only 6kw for about 2 years and only "tripped" twice. Other than an electric kettle we have the usual suspects but we do plan life carefully.

Cheap rate hours are 02.00 - 07.00 and 14.00 - 17.00 and are reserved for water heating (always) and 2 from washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer as necessary. We try not to use anything except Di's 2 computers, fridge, small and large freezers within the afternoon danger period. Cooking is done with a multifunction microwave (? 800w) and, at the mo, an all gas cooker though we also have an up to 3.5 kw electric oven which is reserved for occasional evening use.

The culprits when we tripped (mid afternoon both times) were

1. builder's 1800w angle grinder

2. Di's hoover type

EDF insist that we cannot be upgraded due to weakness with their supply lines.

Friends who endure a limited supply and suffered regular trips insist on using their UK bought high powered kettle.

So Thibault, buy yr microwave and use it fearlessly - but think before switching on any other electrical appliance.

John

not

If you get a microwave-only oven (as opposed to a combination oven with grill, etc) the power consumption should be quite low. (Ours was for some time plugged into what we discovered was a lighting circuit that the previous owner had seen fit to wire into a kitchen socket outlet; and even then, the microwave didn't overload the circuit.)

I would avoid the combination type oven in any event. They seem much more prone to failure and frankly if I want to grill or bake something, I have a conventional oven which is much better suited to the task. Also avoids the problem of where to store the extra bits that come with a combination oven when (as is mainly the case - in our household at least) they are not needed.