declaring my intention to stay

janda

In the absence of carte de sejours, having decided after being here three months that i am going to stay and purchase a house and look for work etc, is anyone bothered???? I mean the officials obviously, or do I need to notify the authorities and if so who? I realise I must register for the health system so how do I do that?

[quote]In the absence of carte de sejours, having decided after being here three months that i am going to stay and purchase a house and look for work etc, is anyone bothered???? I mean the officials obvious...[/quote]

Hi

It is polite, athough not necessary, to inform your Mairie. In any event, they are a useful source of information and assistance especially if you live in a smaller community.

Health cover depends upon your working status. Your best bet is to call in at your local CPAM office and discuss it with them. (Or your Mairie may help!)

Bon chance!

You should get the appropriate E form from Newcastle ASAP and register with your Caisse de Maladie, as the E111 or new health card is simply for holiday purposes.

Also you may be asked for a titre de sejour, which are not defunct only no longer obligitory and your Prefecture is obliged to issue one if ofcourse you qualify.

As TU says, the requirement for titre de sejour is still there, it has only been waived for those from the major EU member states (e.g. Britain). Although the card may not be compulsory for Europeans, it can make things easier when dealing with France's many bureaucrats.

I have seen elsewhere that there is a requirement to register with your local CPAM within a short time (was it 6 weeks?) of taking up residence, to get you into the social security system, but I don't know how true this is. If you are an EU citizen then having an E form, like E106 or E121, from the country where you previously lived will considerably ease this process.

You will also need to get hold of a tax form early next year on which you declare your income for 2005 since arriving in France - even if you will pay no tax or have no income this is obligatory (and also desirable).

• 2 weeks later...

HI there,

I am sorry If I am repeating other people's questions but I need to get all this legislation right.

I live in France with my partner, we own a house and are renovating it, we do not work (ie don't earn an income) and we are definatly going to stay here.  I have informed the marie of our intentions and all is ok there.  But i'm confused about what to do next.  Do I HAVE to get a Carte de Sejour or just apply for a social security number?  Also I have a british passport that needs renewing will I need it renewed if I get a carte de sejour.  Also (!!!!) I have heard a rumour that I am only eligable for social security and CDS etc if I apply 1 week after arriving in France, is that true????

Sorry for questions, hope someone can help.  Also if anyone knows some ex-pats living in the Allier, we'd love to make some friends!

Thanks

HI there,

I am sorry If I am repeating other people's questions but I need to get all this legislation right.

I live in France with my partner, we own a house and are renovating it, we do not work (ie don't earn an income) and we are definatly going to stay here.  I have informed the marie of our intentions and all is ok there.  But i'm confused about what to do next.  Do I HAVE to get a Carte de Sejour or just apply for a social security number?  Also I have a british passport that needs renewing will I need it renewed if I get a carte de sejour.  Also (!!!!) I have heard a rumour that I am only eligable for social security and CDS etc if I apply 1 week after arriving in France, is that true????

Sorry for questions, hope someone can help.  Also if anyone knows some ex-pats living in the Allier, we'd love to make some friends!

Thanks

A titre de sejour does not replace anything at all, it is french ID for foreigners. Passports are necessary and I would always keep mine up to date.

You should have sorted out your E forms with Newcastle before moving and then handed them into your Caisse de Maladie, where you health care would be sorted out and your SS number would be sorted out in due course.

Also, there is no way I would be unmarried, ie living with someone, in France at all. Sorry but partner means nothing at all, it means that you could go out and marry someone else immediately. Inheritance is complicated enough here without two strangers sharing things and the 60% inheritance it attracts when someone dies.

[quote]HI there, I am sorry If I am repeating other people's questions but I need to get all this legislation right. I live in France with my partner, we own a house and are renovating it, we do not wor...[/quote]

I know it varies from Department to Department and people will say that they did not have to, but we had to provide evidence of income to the Aveyron Prefecture before they would issue a Titre de Sejoour

It always amuses me when I read that "we are renovating a house but have no income"  So where is the money for the renovation materials coming from?  Our capital savings I hear you say, So have you or do you propose to declare the interest, or aren't your savings earning any interest??  Before you can join he French Health system if you do not a have a UK E form, you will have to provide proof of income for 2004 and if you were in the UK that year that will be counted.  Also, as far as I know if the French know that you are co-habiting you are entitled to absolutely nothing from the State.

We are not asking for anything from the state, i did not expect anything from them till we earn, but I know I need a carte de sejour to be able to see the doctor here.  I thnk so at least.

And where is our money coming from, cheeky question!  No it is no savings, we do not earn any interets, we earn no money of any description!

Thanks for your advice.

[quote]A titre de sejour does not replace anything at all, it is french ID for foreigners. Passports are necessary and I would always keep mine up to date. You should have sorted out your E forms with Newca...[/quote]

Also, there is no way I would be unmarried, ie living with someone, in France at all. Sorry but partner means nothing at all, it means that you could go out and marry someone else immediately. Inheritance is complicated enough here without two strangers sharing things and the 60% inheritance it attracts when someone dies.

Perhaps I'm being a little gormless here but what do you mean inheritance problems?  I am only 24!  I am not planning on letting anyone get any inheritance off me for a while and I'm sure David and I will marry soon. In the mean time does our unmarriedness cause us problems?  So far we have had to have a certificate to prove that I am his concubine for insurance purposes! 

"....We are not asking for anything from the state, i did not expect anything from them till we earn, but I know I need a carte de sejour to be able to see the doctor here. I thnk so at least."

"...I am only eligable for social security and CDS etc if I apply 1 week after arriving in France, is that true????"

Emma & David,

I really don't know what to say ! Is it in a bar you hear these things or from ex-pat "friends" over here ? You certainly do NOT need a CdS (there hasn't been need for one for quite a while here anyway !!)to see a Doctor. Anyone can see a Doctor 24/7 with no more than your two legs to carry you in !! Under the new laws you are supposed to be registered with a Doctor, to be able to get the correct remboursements.

For health cover if you do not intend to work as a resident you will need to go to CPAM. Did you bother or indeed not realise you would need to bring an E106 with you ? If not and providng you were working in the UK during a certain period before you left, get hold of Newcastle and see about getting one. This will give you cover for up to 70% of your health expenses and then you can go armed with that to CPAM. What they will do with you if you simply say you have no money but don't want to work whilst renovating your house might be "sticky" !!

I think you might well have quite a few questions that need to be answered! Many of us here have heard all these type of beliefs for ages. I do wonder who the people are, that give out such c*** advice ?

Well said Miki!

Meanwhile, there is no problem at all not being married, I lived here for 5 years without being married. Of course, it helped that we didn't really own anything big together no property purchase, not even so much as a joint car. In terms of social security, it wasn't a problem when I arrived jobless to be put on his, so it is not even a plus being married from that point of view. We just had to declare we were living together.

However if you have purchased a house together, not being married basically means that you wouldn't be entitled to any of your partner's half if anything happened to him!

Like Miki I really cannot imagine who would be feeding you such misinformation. Who ever it is then I would be giving them a wide berth.

You should have contacted Newcastle prior to leaving the UK to get your E form for you health care to be sorted out. But there again, what insurance are you talking about. Is your boyfriend working, then you may be able to be on his health cover.

Did you do a declaration de concubinage at the Mairie?

We no longer have to have titre de sejours, they changed the name from carte to titre. However, we have the right to ask for them and if we qualify to have one they will be issued. Some prefectures try and get out of it, but if you insist then they have to accept your application.

All it is is an ID, quite simply. It could be helpful if you wanted a job for example but has no other specific function at all other than general ID.

OK Tourangelle, I agree if you are young and have nothing then not being married here probably means that living together is unimportant. When I was young one of my workmates married and he was in a car crash and died at the age of 23. They had just bought a house and she got it. Transfer that to here and what would happen, there is £1000 untaxed allowance and the rest of the inheritance cops for 60% tax. Even being married here may not have been quite so simple but an awful lot easier than being unmarried.

You will have to make up your own mind on the advice given to you on this forum, but then why ask a question if you don't want to act on the information given from people who may have been in the same position as you? 

If your partner dies tomorrow, 24 or not, if you own a property together you could loose everything if you are not married.

Dear All,

thank you so much for your replys, you are all so helpful!

I don't knwo where I ave heard all this silly info, i guess on the grapevine, different rumours come about, you must have had similar situations when you first came out here!

Great on not having to need a TdS, will get one anyway probably as they sound useful.

Didn't realise the info about getting E form from Newcastle, but will sort that out ASAP.

All the questions you have raised about David and my marital status is interesting, and certainly amunition for me to pressure him with!!!

Thank you once again.

I wish i could offer some help to you but the only thing i'm good at over here at the mo is crashing down walls and cooking!!