Le Chasse

Cazs

"they heard a rustle in the undergrowth and shot and killed a young man collecting mushrooms, one of the hunters was a policeman.....it will be interesting to see how they are dealt with."

It certainly will Washy.  I don't know what part of France you are in, but this type of thing should be headline news, please keep us informed...

Thanks for the site Christine!   My personal views on hunting are a little complex, to legnthy to put on a forum. To my mind it is not as black & white as many people appear to think.

What I would like to see in France is more rights for the individuals private land.  Sunday to be a hunt free day to enable every citizen to enjoy the countryside peacefully. The final banning of the use of lead in cartridges and fishing ( 8000 metric tons a year in France for shotguns alone). Being under the influence of alcohol whilst in possession of a loaded weapon to be a serious offence. Proper training in the use of weapons and identification of different species and above all REAL ENFORCEMENT of the existing regulations.   Oh, and an end to allowing various forms of hunting to continue because they are "traditionelle" after they have been outlawed by the EU, such as Chasse au Gluau.  

Best,  Chris

I have the impression (not factual) that accidents are pretty common. Last year I was told by somebody (French) 250 people shot (in France) by hunters. My very local radio station (20 Km radius round the local town) has already had items about shootings this season.

Ian

Official stats ONCFS

CAMPAGNE DE CHASSE 2004-2005

Selon l'ONCFS 25 personnes, tous chasseurs, sont mortes dans 167 accidents de chasse. 142 personnes ont été blessées dont 12 non-chasseurs.
51% des accidents ont eu lieu lors d'une chasse au petit "gibier", 49% lors d'une chasse au grand "gibier".
La moyenne des 8 dernières saisons s'établie à 202 accidents. Mais selon notre propre suivi, un promeneur est décédé en Corse fin octobre atteint par une balle tirée par un chasseur participant à une battue aux sangliers.

Chris.

Hi Chris

With jokes like this you should be on the stage.  How long have you lived in France? What gives you the right, as a immigrant, to come along and try to thrust your misguided ideas down peoples throat. You know the hunters were there before you or me. Why are you trying to import that worst of all british traits intolerance?

I think Chris's postings show a great deal of knowledge, common sense and tolerance of hunting.

As someone who is not experiencing any problems with hunters ( in fact I haven't seen one!) I cannot see what is at all wrong with reminding people who carry loaded firearms to act in a responsible manner, within the law and respect other peoples property.  

I think Chris's postings show a great deal of knowledge, common sense and tolerance of hunting.

As someone who is not experiencing any problems with hunters ( in fact I haven't seen one!) I cannot see what is at all wrong with reminding people who carry loaded firearms to act in a responsible manner, within the law and respect other peoples property.

The "Intolerance" seems to be more apparent from the hunters than from the people whose land they are trampling over!

Hi Zeb100, I will try to answer your questions, although I am not clear what you have a problem with.  Your first question: How long have I lived in France - a little over 10 years.

Your second question: What gives me the right to come along and try to thrust my misguided ideas down peoples throat - question appears to assume certain notions, first that I am trying to thrust ideas down peoples throat, No, I don't think so, no thrusting involved and personally I do not think that they are misguided and you have not made a case against them. I have the right to express a view as an autonomous individual.

Next you made a statement that I knew that the hunters were "there" before you and me. - Sorry, I do not understand the statement.

Your third question: Why am I trying to import that worst of all british traits intolerance: Which bit of my postings are you referring to here? Alcohol and guns? Sunday being a hunt free day? Use of lead?Which by the way was put into French Law in 2002 and as yet has never been enforced! Proper training? Being able to identify different species? or perhaps the use of glue traps, which as I am sure you are well informed enough to know involves painting the branches of trees with glue, to which the birds that land on them STICK. Nice?

Additional info. I am not against the requirement to control certain species if the control is based on objective evidence and would be happy to support a redirection of hunters efforts to bring the ragondin, American mink and florida turtle populations down to more manageable and less destructive levels.

Best wishes, I await your response, Chris

This morning some chasseurs arrived near us just before 9 am.  Not long ago another car arrived and the boot was opened and it still is.  After having "hunted" for nearly an hour and a half, the chasseurs have now trekked back to the cars and are sitting eating and drinking at the table and benches.  If they start off again at about 11 o'clock, they should be able to get another good hour's hard hunting in before l'apéro at midi and then a good meal at lunchtime.

I wonder if they will be "apte" to continue this afternoon.  It does seem like a hard Sunday... 

A brief note - yesterday afternoon during our Otter excursion ( on another thread ) our group was in a large open meadow on one side of the river, the opposite bank was steep and wooded. Out of nowhere we were shouted at from the woodland and told to get away and go somewhere else or we would probably be shot.  Now, I would have thought that as we were in the open, clearly visible and our presence had been identified......

Well, I suppose they did at least have the good grace to order us to go away.  Chris

How long have you lived in France? What gives you the right, as a immigrant, to come along and try to thrust your misguided ideas down peoples throat.

Wow......I've seen this kind of attitude voiced on this forum before. Though never as bluntly.

If I, as a Brit, was to say this sort of thing even tongue in cheek about a member of our local Pakistani community, for example, I would find myself castigated as at best a narrow-minded clod and at worst a Racist. Rightly so.

But I find it Ironic that some members of this Forum can voice the opinion that Brits living in France should not have any criticism of France or French Ways etc (The 'if you don't like it then you can go back to England' viewpoint.)  Yet would have blench at openly making a similar suggestion to, say, people originally  from the West Indies living in London.

I am a citizen of the European Union. I have a home in France. I have a right to reside there. If I choose to live there full time, own property and pay tax, I feel myself fully entitled to have an opinion. And exercise any Democratic rights to express it. Whether I have lived there six months, six years or six decades is immaterial.

I am french, and i have a house in countryside in France.

My homepage

I've already had trouble with hunters : they are the kings of countryside.

The french law is made for private property, but hunters are over this principe !

What can we doing ?