We are in France so we must speak French...why?

Wendy

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Will - I take it you know the Roman legend of why the Onager went extinct?
[/quote]

The story I recall (attributed to Pliny, I think) was that the adult male was a rather jealous animal that was given to biting the nuts off any male foals that were born. Is that correct?

I think he was just compensating! Pliny was - how shall we say - a little naive in accepting the information given to him.

His remedy for toothache: 'A piece bitten off from wood struck by lightning by a person with hands thrown behind his back, if it is applied to an aching tooth, is a remedy we are told for the pain. Some prescribe fumigation of the tooth with a human tooth from one of the same sex, and to use as an amulet a dog-tooth taken from an unburied

corpse.'

Or this gem: 'Earth taken out of a skull acts, it is said, as a depilatory for the eye-lashes, while any plant that has grown in the skull makes, when chewed, the teeth fall out, and ulcers marked round with a human bone

do not spread.'

Of course the more common Onager in Rome was the artillery catapult of the same name.

Apart from the kick, what is the key characteristic of a donkey?

Right.

What were Roman women reputed to be like?

Right.

So the imputation was that the habits of the Roman women were enough to exhaust the donkeys, to the extent that they went extinct.

Right?

I wish I hadn't started this, now...

The Romans and the Celts had been trading together for many years, and it is likely that they spoke each other's languages pretty well. Also the Romans had been in Gaul for many years, and the theory is that the languages of Gaul and Britain were very similar. Certainly the idea of the Romans invading an unwilling Britain is at best only partly true. The south was part-Romanised already.

The short sword was called a gladius, thus gladiator, a swordsman.