P M's

Teamedup

I have to admit that, unless I get an email telling me someone has sent me a PM, I don't really look.  If someone PM's me, I always reply.

And, on the same subject, what are all the "Views" shown on the PM's.  It is just the PM'er and the PM'ee who get to view the PM's n'est ce pas?  Some of my PM's show so many views, looks odd to me.

Well mine certainly does [Www]

Seriously though TU, are you having problems with yours?

Edit:  Yes Lori, I can assure you that the only people who can view a PM are the sender and recipient.  When you create a PM, by default you view it after it is sent (1 view), the recipient reads it (2 views) and replies (3 views, as it will be displayed on their screen after it is sent). You then read their reply (4 views), and so on

So if someone sends a PM, and the recipient replies, there will actually be a minimum of 4 views, rather than 2.  Does that make sense?

Also, as the PM system doesn't do the "preview on mouse rollover" thing, it's not possible to see the first few lines of a PM by hovering over the title, so anyone that sends or receives a lot of PMs might have to re-open a PM to read it again if there is not enough information in the title.

I always check my PMs. I always reply. It has happened though, that I have sent a PM to someone, who has not responded, even though my PM was a very specific (and innocuous enough) question. Thishas puzzled me enough to send another PM - and still get no response. Then I usually give up, assume that the person either does not receive or check their PMs, or has very personal reasons for not answering, and that it is easier for them to ignore me altogether rather than answer by saying they do not wish to answer my question[8-|]. I hope that makes sense.

I hardly ever get PMs, so it is easy! If you PM me, TU, I promise I will answer, how about that?

If you arrive at the CF forum via the Active Topics list (I do) there's no PM indicator on that page so you may never know there's a PM lurking for you...

If you have the "send copies of PMs to my email address" ticked in your profile, you'll get copies sent to your email address. (I do).

If you receive them, then click on reply (to the email) your response disappears into the ether never to be seen again. (I do that too). [8-)]

So many ways for PMs to go wrong... it's no wonder the "I've Sent You A PM" message appears so often. [6]

[quote user="catalpa"]

If you receive them, then click on reply (to the email) your response disappears into the ether never to be seen again. (I do that too). [8-)]

[/quote]

I thought James had configured the email alerts so we can't inadvertently do that anymore.

You thought right Tresco. 

Before, PM notification replies sent via Outlook, or any other mail client, went back to where they came from (Admin at Complete France forum).  James changed it a few months back and now they go to no-reply at Complete France forum.  So if anyone inadvertently tries to reply to a PM notification from their mail client it will bounce back to them as undeliverable, and they will realise their mistake.

TeamedUp - you sent me very helpful pm just before you closed your membership about a year ago. About tax forms.  I didn't notice it for ages. I did reply eventually but not sure if you got that reply as you weren't around at the time. Sorry! Pat.

[quote user="Cat"]

You thought right Tresco.

[/quote]

... but, continued Cat,  y'know, Tresco... that bluddy Catalpa always has to be contrary...

[:P] I replied to an emailed pm a couple of hours ago (to the no-reply address) just as a test, and I haven't had a undeliverable message back. I used Googlemail.