London offers a quality of life you can't find in France

Will

To be honest I think it's a bit of a misnomer restricting the debate to the French. I work in the IT industry, and come across a lot of contractors of all nationalities. The lad who sits opposite me is South African, very intelligent, very well educated, and speaks better English than the English 'yoofs' that surround us. We often discuss why people come to Britain, and his main reason is 'currency', the second is 'history'. We take the fact that the UK very much spawned the civilised world for granted, we have old houses, castles and traditions going back thousands of years that other newer countries simply do not have.

Sterling is a strong currency, and that means that anyone can come here, earn what we perceive as very little, and make what they perceive as a small fortune. He is off to Oz in 3 weeks to work, and I am as envious as hell. We also work with an offshored team of developers, that means the office contains a fair number of Indian colleagues at any one time. They work incredible hours, and likewise must be earning a relative fortune compared to back home. Similarly, their English is exceptional, and their intellect is astounding compared to my English colleagues.

The downside is that we now have a massive immigration issue, the England that we all once knew has gone forever, it is not going to re-appear. Time and time again it is that which prompts the English to retire to France. The UK has lost its identity, and many of us now feel like strangers in our own country. The French offer the English what they do not have. Peace and quiet, relaxation, civility, and a general feeling of well being.

On a purely personal note, at 50 years old I am sick and tired of staring at a PC screen all day, and despite earning a fair salary in the UK, I am constantly seeking ways to move to France to do something else. Money isn't an issue to me, and that is something that my English friends cannot get their heads around. All I require out of life is good, honest, company that can talk sense, a roof over my head and food in my stomach. France is a great way to go.

Rob G

Rob G

I couldn't have put it better myself! 

I have also read that there are more French in the UK than UK citizens in France.

People leaving the uk have various reasons for doing so - but all contribute to the French economy in one way or another-  in our case we bought, no mortgage, with UK money, a house that had been empty for over 3-4 years. We have spent  this year perhaps  30K euros so far & much more to do. (another 50k euros minimum). We have employed various French artisans & still more to employ.   We are spending our money in France. We also pay local taxes, spend on our utilities(empty house didn't do that!)   & shop locally. 

I know some French people here in rural Wilts/Hants - one in the village pub (in the kitchen), and a would-be teacher from France (can't get a job in France) & is presently doing the PGCE with a full grant & fees paid by the UK tax payer.  Enough to live on & rent a studio annex in a posh part of Salisbury.  I have met other French would-be teachers working as French assistantes- not well paid, but they are not qualified as yet.   One got herself pregnant - doubtless FOC use of the NHS &  pregancy costs quite a bit.  They are in the UK to earn or make money-  is this making it harder for UK citizens to get jobs  ?     Not that many half-decent jobs around here anyway.

Outside of London the number of unemployed UK citizens is larger than many realise, much  of it disguised by government ways of  keeping records & taking people off unemployment statistics via the benefit system. 

No - we oldies give far more than we take!

Regards

Tegwini

[quote user="Wibblywobbly"]

On a purely personal note, at 50+ years old I am sick and tired of staring at a PC screen all day, and despite earning a fair salary in the UK, I am constantly seeking ways to move to France to do something else. Money isn't an issue to me, and that is something that my English friends cannot get their heads around. All I require out of life is good, honest, company that can talk sense, a roof over my head and food in my stomach. France is a great way to go.

Rob G

[/quote]

Me too, me too!! [:D][:D][:D]