Carte sejour

My carte sejour runs out the end of October the Marie saysI  do not need it any more, does anyone no for sure, I would like to renew it if possible

I have had it for five years and if nothing else it proves when I arrived in France, ( new healthcare rules)

Brian

They have to give you a Titre/Carte de Séjour if you ask for one. You might have to go to the préfecture.

[quote]Demande facultative de carte de séjour

Inactifs 

Les "inactifs" (retraités et autres personnes sans

activités), qui ont établi leur résidence habituelle en France depuis

moins de cinq ans, peuvent demander une carte de séjour "CE - non

actif". 

La durée de validité de la carte dépend de la

pérennité des ressources présentées. Dans tous les cas, elle ne peut

dépasser cinq ans. 

Doivent être fournis les justificatifs suivants : 

• un titre d'identité ou un passeport en cours de validité, 

• une attestation d'assurance maladie-maternité offrrant un certain nombre de prestations, 

• les documents justifiant de ressources suffisantes pour le demandeur et, le cas échéant, pour les membres de sa famille. 

Guichet, coût et récépissé 

La demande doit être effectuée à la préfecture du

lieu de résidence, voire à la sous-préfecture ou à la mairie ou au

commissariat, suivant les départements. 

Se renseigner en premier lieu auprès de la préfecture de son domicile. 

La délivrance de la carte est gratuite. 

Un récépissé est remis à toute personne qui demande la délivrance ou le renouvellement d'une carte.

source: http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/Etrangers en France

[/quote]

We went to our Mairie this morning (St Varent, 79 Deux-Sèvres) armed with print-outs in French of all the relevant laws.  We have been here since April 2002 and are almost 2 years away from an E121 so the fact that we need to prove we have beeen here for more than 5 years may be crucial.  We explained the CMU problem (they were totally unaware) and so they rang the Prefecture in Niort who said NO.   We were kind of expecting that but the Mairie have provided us witha certificate signed by the Maire with a Commune stamp stating the date that we came to live here so hopefully it will do the same job.

Time will tell.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Forgive me Clair, but (you know far better than I) doesn't that say "for less than 5 years" (not our o/p)?  I'm sure I must have got the wrong end of the stick...[8-)]

Couldn't he get the permanent one now?

[/quote]

Sorry, my fault.

The link and quote were provided to show that the carte/titre de séjour had to be issued by the French authorities on request. They were not meant to apply to any specific circumstances.

Apologies if I have inadvertently misled anyone.

EDIT: I have found the relevant section on the page I linked to in my previous post, just a little bit further down...

[quote]Carte de séjour permanent 

Les citoyens qui ont acquis un droit au séjour

permanent en France peuvent demander la délivrance d'une carte de

séjour "CE - séjour permanent - toutes activités professionnelles",

valable vingt ans. 

Cette carte, dont la possession n'est pas obligatoire, est renouvelable de plein droit.[/quote]

Go to the préfecture.

[quote]Séjour en France des citoyens européens non-actifs

Formalités à l'installation en France

Les citoyens de l'UE et assimilés, qui souhaitent

s'installer en France, doivent être munis d'une carte d'identité ou

d'un passeport en cours de validité. 

Dans les trois mois suivant leur arrivée, ils

doivent se faire enregistrer auprès du maire de leur commune de

résidence, sous peine d'amende. 

Une attestation d'enregistrement leur est immédiatement remise. 

Les intéressés ne sont pas tenus de détenir un titre de séjour. Toutefois, s'ils en font la demande, il leur en est délivré un. 

L'installation en France est subordonnée à l'absence de menace pour l'ordre public.

vosdroits.service-public.fr/

[/quote]

But where do you go if they say no?  I mean who is the next authority up, as it were?  I think I am going to have this problem soon when I go to renew mine, because I've moved to a different departement. I'm perfectly prepared to argue it out with them and the town I live in has a prefecture in it, but where do you go if they say no?

CMU is totally not an issue for me, not only do I work, but I'm a civil servant, and I think it is particularly useful to have French papers.

I have just been on the phone to my préfecture, to request a carte de séjour for Mr Clair...

[quote]Me: " Could you tell me how to go about getting a titre de séjour for my British husband?

Préfecture: "he does not need one.

Me:"I know he doesn't, but he prefers to have one and I understand that he can ask for one and you can issue it.

P:" yes, if he asks for one, we'll issue it. He will need to supply...

• 3 ID photos
  • copy of valid passport
  • birth certificate
  • marriage certificate
  • copy of French wife's ID card
  • proof of permanent address in France
  • proof of health cover"
Me:" he is employed and he has that from his work, so...?

P:"in that case, he'll need to have a proof of employment, a copy of his employment contract and a copy of a payslip. You'll need to request a formulaire from your mairie."[/quote]

I have just phone the mairie and they have set aside a form for me to collect this afternoon.

I have been in contact with the mairie several times to find out about how the various changes will be affecting Mr Clair and, from my tel calls to them, they do know that there are changes afoot, however, they have not yet been informed of them.

[quote user="Clair"]I have just been on the phone to my préfecture, to request a carte de séjour for Mr Clair...

[quote]Me: " Could you tell me how to go about getting a titre de séjour for my British husband?

Préfecture: "he does not need one.

Me:"I know he doesn't, but he prefers to have one and I understand that he can ask for one and you can issue it.

P:" yes, if he asks for one, we'll issue it. He will need to supply...

• 3 ID photos
  • copy of valid passport
  • birth certificate
  • marriage certificate
  • copy of French wife's ID card
  • proof of permanent address in France
  • proof of health cover"
Me:" he is employed and he has that from his work, so...?

P:"in that case, he'll need to have a proof of employment, a copy of his employment contract and a copy of a payslip. You'll need to request a formulaire from your mairie."[/quote]

I have just phone the mairie and they have set aside a form for me to collect this afternoon.

I have been in contact with the mairie several times to find out about how the various changes will be affecting Mr Clair and, from my tel calls to them, they do know that there are changes afoot, however, they have not yet been informed of them.[/quote]

Clair do you mind me asking, why do you have to go to the mairie? Is it just because you are not near to a prefecture?

[quote user="Tourangelle"]Clair do you mind me asking, why do you have to go to the mairie? Is it just because you are not near to a prefecture?[/quote]That's right. the préfecture and sous-préfecture are all around 1 hr drive away.

I did get the form and I'll get started this week. They told me at the mairie they had had a request for a Belgian citizen last month and the 10 year carte de séjour was done within 3 weeks... We'll see...

The form is for a first request and they ask for my ID details (French spouse) as well.

Apart from the usual ID and proof of residence, there arefive sections to choose from as regards professional activity:

• employed (provide work contract + 2 payslips + proof of health cover)
  • self-employed (provide documents relevant to the registered trade)
  • farmer
  • student
  • no profession (provide proof of financial status + health cover)

Just one annoying thing: they require all documents in a foreign language to be translated by a certified/agreed translator [:@], which is likely to cost about €50 per document: his birth and adoption certificates and our UK marriage certificate.

The French spouse thing should make things easier, in the sense where the French half is already "in the system" here...

Don't you have a livret de famille?  We got married in the UK, but we registered the marriage at the embassy in London, who translated the marriage certificate and then our livret de famille came through.  It took ages, (six weeks-ish) because it went to Nantes, then back to London, then to us, and it cost a lot in recorded delivery, but certainly less than 50 euros.  I'm afraid you're probably right about the price because that is exactly what I paid to have my degree certificate translated.  I'm hoping to avoid all of this to some extent because it is a change in département, and not a new request.  I'm kind of perplexed as to why it matters that you are married given that your husband works.  I suppose they just like to have all the info they can!

Tourangelle: we don't have a livret de famille, as I never registered the marriage with the French Ambassy in London (bunch of lazy farts anyway). When I contacted them a couple of years ago trying to get one, they would not accept Mr Clair's adoption certificate as the equivalent of a birth certificate and could not understand that it is impossible to obtain a birth certificate showing the name of the adoptive parents in the UK... long story and I am slightly concerned we'll come across this problem again in this particular attempt...[:'(] but at least, I'll be able to argue the toss face to face if it comes to it...

Coops: I really don't know if that would be acceptable to the préfecture... I believe the mairie is supposed to have a list of traducteurs agréés, so you could ask them if they would accept a translation done by a notaire, who is, after all, a certified person too...

Believe me, if I could get away with it, I certainly would...[Www]

Thank you all for this thread.

I was thinking about trying again at our Mairie, to ask for a renewal of my OH's CdS which was issued 5 years ago. It's about to expire but not only does he use it for ID, especially for his business purchases, but it also says he's "non-actif"  Not great if he was ever stopped by the gendarmes who wanted to check his legality.

When I previously asked about this a few months ago, I was brushed off by the 'he doesn't need one' agrument, and my French isn't good enough to push the point. Now I've printed off these pages from the vosdroits site, I feel better armed for the battle!  Thanks Clair.

My update so far; secretary at Mairie trotted out party line as expected then rather flummoxed by printed proof to the contrary.

I'm going back tomorrow armed with various documents, she's going to fill in relevant form and we're going to take on the might of the Niort Prefecture.   It may be some time before a response but I'll let you'all know.

My one concern is that they'll nit-pit about our date of entry into France. The date on the CdS is Dec 2002 although we moved over in August. I hope old utility bills will do the trick.

font and colour changed by a mod (Clair) for ease of reading